• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

carlo

I haven't had any problems with the volume I get from the mic (or to my monitors and headphone amp on playback)when used with a computer but now when I use it with a phone charger I have to turn my headphone amplifier (where I connected the other end of the cable from the insert) quite a bit louder than when I'm using it through the pc so that I can hear my own voice loud and clear. Might just actually be the fact that I'm using open back headphones so I already hear my own voice loud and clear without "monitoring" and thus need to crank up it quite loud to be noticeable. But I'm not knowleadgeable in recording tech so not sure if the volume would be different/sufficient for your needs.
I'll see If I can manage to give it a try; I recall that maybe someone I know has got one.

carlo

I haven't had any problems with the volume I get from the mic (or to my monitors and headphone amp on playback)when used with a computer but now when I use it with a phone charger I have to turn my headphone amplifier (where I connected the other end of the cable from the insert) quite a bit louder than when I'm using it through the pc so that I can hear my own voice loud and clear. Might just actually be the fact that I'm using open back headphones so I already hear my own voice loud and clear without "monitoring" and thus need to crank it up quite loud before it gets noticeable. But I'm not knowledgeable in recording tech so not sure if the volume would be different/sufficient for your needs.

I think that, according from what I've read around, the low sound you hear is mostly caused by this interface low outputs ( main or inserts etc.); hearing from the computer I think it's a different thing. I'll try to understand how much gain the the signal coming out from the insert needs in order to reach a proper level for a recorder.

WallyWest

Them DIYAudio folks are smart! :) Had to kludge up a cable that worked and results are indeed much better:

Does anyone have a link to making said cable? I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron, have built RCA cables and the like before.

I bought a UMC204HD a while back mostly for vinyl ripping. Not really sure I can justify spending a bunch more for a higher end unit, and if I can make it at least reasonably good with this hack I'd probably be happy with that.

Thanks.

Zopiac

Does anyone have a link to making said cable? I'm reasonably handy with a soldering iron, have built RCA cables and the like before.

I bought a UMC204HD a while back mostly for vinyl ripping. Not really sure I can justify spending a bunch more for a higher end unit, and if I can make it at least reasonably good with this hack I'd probably be happy with that.

Thanks.

I made up a couple myself, for my UMC404HD's rear inserts. Just RCA to TRS 1/4", with sleeve to sleeve and RCA pin to the 1/4"s ring (the tip is the output from the interface which I left floating). Works a treat for me! And it even lights up the signal LEDs on front, although the pot, pad, and inst/line toggles do nothing for it.

WallyWest

I made up a couple myself, for my UMC404HD's rear inserts. Just RCA to TRS 1/4", with sleeve to sleeve and RCA pin to the 1/4"s ring (the tip is the output from the interface which I left floating). Works a treat for me! And it even lights up the signal LEDs on front, although the pot, pad, and inst/line toggles do nothing for it.

I have several 1/4" TRS to RCA adapters, would that work? Or are those wired in a different way?

Like these.

Attachments

• R4375f8e20fb539b6af8c766938cdbc5b.jpg
    R4375f8e20fb539b6af8c766938cdbc5b.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 125

Zopiac

Those are only TS (Tip and Sleeve, without the Ring between them to make TRS). You can get a TRS to dual RCA breakout (generally used for stereo to dual mono purposes) and one will be the Insert, and the other is direct out for getting a direct feed from the unit's front inputs for use with other devices, after the mic preamp stage I believe. What you linked would only be good for the latter, as I used those exact units the other day to pass a mic from the UMC to another ADC.

IPBQ2R10-large.jpg

WallyWest

Those are only TS (Tip and Sleeve, without the Ring between them to make TRS). You can get a TRS to dual RCA breakout (generally used for stereo to dual mono purposes) and one will be the Insert, and the other is direct out for getting a direct feed from the unit's front inputs for use with other devices, after the mic preamp stage I believe. What you linked would only be good for the latter, as I used those exact units the other day to pass a mic from the UMC to another ADC.

View attachment 110632

Oh, I see.

The TS is for the front mic inputs I assume.

I rummaged around in my box-o-cables and found a TS to RCA cable pair, probably got that to use to the mic inputs.

Thanks for the info, I'll order parts and make me some adapters.

drake5000

Both types of hubs eliminated my intermittent clicking/popping symptom. FWIW, both my hubs had sole use of a motherboard USB hub.
That's what i found. Going from 2.0 to 3.0 usb hub perf improved by 2x no kidding. Had to put amp on high gain and MAX to get what i get now on low gain 10 to 12 o'clock.
Wonder if getting a powered\passive hub would do something.
Can you please explain how does one set USB hub exclusevely to one device?

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can you please explain how does one set USB hub exclusively to one device?

There's nothing to it in Windows -- just launch Device Manager, select "Devices By Connection" from the "View" options, and try various USB receptacles until Device Manager shows the Behringer as the only device on one of the USB Root Hubs.

drake5000

There's nothing to it in Windows -- just launch Device Manager, select "Devices By Connection" from the "View" options, and try various USB receptacles until Device Manager shows the Behringer as the only device on one of the USB Root Hubs.
So the point here is just to make sure that only one device (Behringer) connected to the whole root hub? If so, I think I got it, thank you. Though a bit pricey tbh, might as well just get an additional internal/external hub as you did. By the way, what is the state of your 202HD now? Is it still connected to passive hub? Any issues?

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
So the point here is just to make sure that only one device (Behringer) connected to the whole root hub? If so, I think I got it, thank you. Though a bit pricey tbh, might as well just get an additional internal/external hub as you did. By the way, what is the state of your 202HD now? Is it still connected to passive hub? Any issues?

It's still connected as the sole device on that old passive USB 2.0 hub, which is still connected as the sole device on one of the motherboard's USB Root Hubs. No issues whatsoever.

audiorock88

Are the TRS main outs balanced?

I need this information too. Are the main outs unbalanced (TS) or balanced (TRS)?

And the jack inputs? XLR is balanced, but line/instrument input are unbalanced (TS) or balanced (TRS)?

ZööZ

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
I need this information too. Are the main outs unbalanced (TS) or balanced (TRS)?

And the jack inputs? XLR is balanced, but line/instrument input are unbalanced (TS) or balanced (TRS)?

TRS.

See page 42 of the user manual:

1616326018204.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Because with a TS as output there is always the + (hot) signal.
The other signal ( - from balanced) is simply shorted. Some sources don't mind, others might not like it or even get damaged.
It certainly is not recommended to do this.
In this case it doesn't matter as the L and R out of the UMC are not balanced and only have the tip connected.

dl7076

RCA to TS can safely be used on inputs. TS to RCA will work but may short the cold signal (when the output is balanced)
When one wants to go from balanced TRS out to RCA input one should use a TRS plug with the ring left open.

Last edited:

audiorock88

Because with a TS as output there is always the + (hot) signal.
The other signal ( - from balanced) is simply shorted. Some sources don't mind, others might not like it or even get damaged.
It certainly is not recommended to do this.
In this case it doesn't matter as the L and R out of the UMC are not balanced and only have the tip connected.

dl7076

RCA to TS can safely be used on inputs. TS to RCA will work but may short the cold signal (when the output is balanced)
When one wants to go from balanced TRS out to RCA input one should use a TRS plug with the ring left open.

So... now final questions.

There is a special cable to use with balanced TRS output to unbalanced RCA's input? You say a TRS with the left ring open, this have any name to search and buy it?

The second one, I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-55 with an "optional in" RCA input. This input is problematic, because when I plug any RCA source it distortion a lot (it is not a faulty of my piano, it is common issue on other models too). When last day used UMC204HD main TRS output (with TS cable) to Clavinova's RCA "optional in" input, it works well (but I have to put very low the main out potentiometer because the signal is very high). Any idea to solve this? Maybe the special RCA to TRS cable with left ring open mentioned here?

EDIT: I read now that there is not balanced output on UMC204HD : ( Why then the difference to use RCA's or TS's?

Thanks a lot

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is a special cable to use with balanced TRS output to unbalanced RCA's input? You say a TRS with the left ring open, this have any name to search and buy it?

I have no idea where to buy such a cable. I would simply make one. Just leave the ring not connected.

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CVP-55 with an "optional in" RCA input. This input is problematic, because when I plug any RCA source it distortion a lot (it is not a faulty of mi piano, it is common issue on other models too)

The input sensitivity is 0.3V so almost every modern device connected to that input will seriously overdrive (clip) the input.
You could connect you phone for instance and dial the volume back.

When last day used UMC204HD main TRS output (with TS cable) to Clavinova's RCA "optional in" input, it works well (but I have to put very low the main out potentiometer because the signal is very high). Any idea to solve this? Maybe the special RCA to TRS cable with left ring open mentioned here?

You would need to use attenuators. That input simply is not suited for these kind of output levels.

audiorock88

I have no idea where to buy such a cable. I would simply make one. Just leave the ring not connected.

The input sensitivity is 0.3V so almost every modern device connected to that input will seriously overdrive (clip) the input.
You could connect you phone for instance and dial the volume back.

You would need to use attenuators. That input simply is not suited for these kind of output levels.

Last question, and sorry for the off-topic, do you know why the Clavinova is very sensitive? It is usual on other devices? The attenuators that you mention are valid for this scenario?

Thanks

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Last edited:
Top Bottom