• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

pLudio

Forum Donor
Use the inserts on the back and not the inputs on the front. The front inputs go through their special preamps (adding a bunch of distortion.) Using the inserts will bypass those preamps. Note the gain controls on the front will no longer function so you will need to manage the input gain some other way.
Assuming UMC204HD and UMC404HD measure about the same, Line mode on the front inputs and inserts on the back measure similarly according to Julian Krause.

Ruhled

There was at least a 6db to 10db difference on mine, maybe more, but this was last year and I don't have the measurements handy right now. I'm using a 204 for loopback dsp and I couldn't get 80db through the front regardless of line switch position. It's almost at 90db using the inserts with trs to rca adapter cables. So about a 12-13 db difference.

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The latest Windows 10/11 driver (v5.51.0) from Behringer appears to (finally!) handle speeds higher that 48kbps. If your experience is like mine, you will get a missing DLL error message on the post-install reboot. If you do, don't panic -- just run the installer one more time and you'll be golden. Then just select your chosen speed in the UMC Control Panel.

Disorientator

First post here so hi everyone.

Already own the 204HD, and ordered an AIYIMA A07 to power a couple of Q-Acoustics 3020i's sitting around (that I never used as surrounds), for a small desktop setup.

I plan on using the 204HD as a DAC so: PC -> 204HD -> AIYIMA A07 -> 3020i

From -the very useful- posts here, it seems that the recommended method of connecting the 204HD to an amp is via the RCA outputs (e.g. 1/2) @ -0.5 dB, correct?

Last edited:

guenthi_r

First post here so hi everyone.

Already own the 204HD, and ordered an AIYIMA A07 to power a couple of Q-Acoustics 3020i's sitting around (that I never used as surrounds), for a small desktop setup.

I plan on using the 204HD as a DAC so: PC -> 204HD -> AIYIMA A07 -> 3020i

From -the very useful- posts here, it seems that the recommended method of connecting the 204HD to an amp is via the RCA outputs (e.g. 1/2) @ -0.5 dB, correct?
-3.0 dB :)

billybuck

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is channel crosstalk. I recently picked up the 4-channel version (UMC404HD) and when I'm sending a -12 db signal into channel 1, I'm seeing a signal at -40 db on unused chans 2-4. Have tried this via both the preamps, and the line-level "insert trick." The bleed levels are the same, either way.

It appears the bled signal is 40 Hz and below, so YMMV depending on how much low-frequency content is present in your source.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Something I haven't seen mentioned in the thread is channel crosstalk. I recently picked up the 4-channel version (UMC404HD) and when I'm sending a -12 db signal into channel 1, I'm seeing a signal at -40 db on unused chans 2-4. Have tried this via both the preamps, and the line-level "insert trick." The bleed levels are the same, either way.

It appears the bled signal is 40 Hz and below, so YMMV depending on how much low-frequency content is present in your source.
Crosstalk is something that we should be measuring everywhere on this forum. I actually sent Amir something about this months ago in regards to DAC performance and told him that for a new test he should be playing different waves on different channels to see if that reduces the performance because they could be using summation knowing the test parameters.

billybuck

Agreed. In this case, I wonder how much that bleed at reasonable input levels is contributing to distortion that wouldn’t be present on a single-channel test. With the bleed being ~40hz and below, it may not have much audible impact when the unit’s used as a multitrack device, but it seems like there would be significant low end additions/cancellations when used as a stereo DAC.

Browsing other forums, it appears this is likely a design problem with the UMC series, as opposed to a bad unit. Still, I’m surprised more people who use it with a DAW aren’t alarmed when ALL of their input meters are going bonkers from one line-level input.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor

This is probably a result of the analog stage being a single-supply affair. All the input amps may be sharing the same R/RC voltage divider for virtual ground.

Gershy13

Does anyone know if the distortion at -0dbfs happens for the RCA playback outputs too? Do i have to reduce the output by -3db for both RCAs 1/2 and 3/4 too? Or is it only for the main TRS out? Also is the output voltage the same for TRS and RCA? (1v?)

Top Bottom