• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

noel_fs

would be nice if JBLs had that level of quality PCB/Amp

btw, what happened when this was posted and deleted yesterday?

whazzup

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They say it is factory calibrated... Did the technician stick the microphone in the woofer?

Hahahaha......

Some images are not showing though.... And you don't happen to have the original unmodded FR graph I suppose?
*Nvm, I saw your reply in the other comments regarding the before mod graph, no biggie.

Felixrising

Something wrong with images... I'm seeing an amplifier.. ???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220224-230732_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220224-230732_Chrome.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 268

RobL

Interesting comparison of the Behringers and original Genelecs HERE.
Translated below:

The two pairs were connected to the Protools HD3 system, switched via an SPL monitor controller.

It was tested with the common signal sources such as level tones, noise (pink/white) sweeps, music, speech

Findings:

-Dimensions are almost identical
-Similar setting options on the R side.
-Speaker diameter and angle of the waveguides almost identical.
-Weight similar.
-Speaker config similar, polyprop bass and metal dome

The Truth also has an automatic function that switches off the loudspeaker after a time that has not been further timed if there is no level at the input.

Workmanship/handling Truth:

Gap dimensions within tolerance, cheap veneer, plastic covers and Phillips screws on the front, the amp is screwed in rigidly.
Heat development in load operation worrying.
The Truth tended to have a 100 Hz hum (K2 image frequency/harmonic of mains frequency).
That alone is unacceptable.

Processing/handling Genelec:
High-quality housing, meticulous gap dimensions, no plastic feeling. Amp is installed with springs. Heat development 50% of Truth. The room adjustment is realized using DIP switches and not like Truth with shift register switches. The speakers are screwed with high-quality Torx.

Sound impression comparison:

Set up on decoupled Ultimate MS-45B2 monitor stands ( http://www.thomann.de/de/ultimate_ms45p2.htm ), the 60-degree stereo triangle was monitored with a measured 60-85 dB(A).

Truth:
-Decent, but slightly "spongy" bass reproduction down to about 50 Hz,
below which the transmission drops by about 24 dB/oct.
-Treble subtle to partially silky, not too penetrating, but unfortunately not assertive either.
-Middle range is much too blurred, middle-heavy instruments such as brass instruments are difficult to judge, with speech there are compromises in intelligibility.
-Stereo image is very bad and moves into the "catastrophic" range with increasing distance between ear and membrane. This results in poor locating of instruments in the panorama.
-Bass graduation: see midrange and stereo image.

Genelec: -Bass

is slightly weaker than with the Truth, but also much more honest. The lower transmission frequency is also around 50 Hz. Also falls off similar to the Truth.
- Highs, crystal clear, absolutely linear, true to impulse and assertive, just as you would expect from a monitor.
- Middle: this is where the Genelec strikes mercilessly. Very high impulse fidelity and shocking linearity. The 1031APM shows its strength especially in the frequency range in which speech is found.
-Stereo image: Incredible stereo image, even with not really wide mixes, it allows a good localization of the instrumentation in the panorama.
-Gradation in depth according to the other results.

Conclusion:

To describe the Truth as a replica or even as an alternative is humbuk. However, a knock-off would not be fair either. You have to classify it somewhere in between. For beginners, a near-field monitor that looks decent overall and is certainly unbeatable in its price range (price/performance).

Measured against and with high-quality components, however, it falls mercilessly against the "original".

The measurement protocols supplied with the Truth could be refuted in our test and unfortunately seem to be a fantasy product from Behringer :(
I found the difference he noted in imaging interesting. What would cause this? I think @mightycicadalord found similar imaging problems with the Behringer.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@roci_big_ear ...

I'd like to see a review by Amir of the modified speakers... Would like to see what would be, then the Preference Score.

Vict0r

These are cheap as chips here, second hand. I see them go for less than €100 a pair. Too bad these modifications aren't easy for someone without soldering experience.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
btw, what happened when this was posted and deleted yesterday?
OP is too new so his posts are getting flagged as spam every time he edits them, waiting for us to approve them. We didn't delete anything.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dip switches are all set to 0. B3031A has an additional "smiley" trimmer, and the trimmers were enough to flatten the curve. I didn't do any soldering on them.

So how much does the -4 dB switch setting for the tweeter change the response?

For that matter, what equipment are you using to measure the speaker response and under what conditions (on-axis, 1m, gating and smoothing used)?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There seems to be something missing:
1645716801025.png

That costs money.
I wonder if it costs more money to have bad reviews floating about.

Did you measure more than one speaker? Might have been QA issue and the others are fine.

OP
R

roci_big_ear

what equipment are you using to measure the speaker response and under what conditions (on-axis, 1m, gating and smoothing used)?
I use the UMIK-2 mic, 1 meter away, right in front of the midpoint between woofer and tweeter. I measure in my bedroom due to nice damping from the carpet and bed with the door open (makes a marginal reduction in room modes). The speaker is on a stand, to keep it far from interfering surfaces.
Interesting comparison of the Behringers and original Genelecs HERE.
Translated below:

Workmanship/handling Truth:

Gap dimensions within tolerance, cheap veneer, plastic covers and Phillips screws on the front, the amp is screwed in rigidly.
This might be true about older versions, but my unit doesn't look cheap or poorly built. It's plastic yes, but the plastic is hard and rigid (unlike other affordable speakers, such as the JBL LSR). The tolerances on all material boundaries are very precise.

The amplifier is screwed in tightly, but it is on the outside, thus sound pressure won't be affecting components. Vibrations should be a non-issue given the rigidity and sheer weight of the cabinet and amp.

Something wrong with images... I'm seeing an amplifier.. ???
Yes, that's the speaker's amp. I reuploaded one of the pics that didn't show. Should be fixed once Amir approves my edit.

Last edited:

Yasuo

I wonder if this can be sent to Behringer hoping that they will release a fixed version.

mathman

I don't think that Behringer tried to save money here. It's more about trying not to cannibalize the market share of their higher end products. Selling a cheap low end product that vies with their much more expensive offerings for customers is just not profitable for them.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about how a German operation like Behringer would address this post (if at all). @ctrl would know better than I. As has already been pointed out, this could simply be one defective speaker. Given how important “branding” is here these days, the most I might expect is for the marketing folks to call Amir and request a retraction…

Before we go there, consider the following:
  1. No proof has been offered to demonstrate the alleged out of box performance is lacking. A good start would be to establish a baseline measurement.
  2. The OP also has not demonstrated how the speaker settings might help or not.
  3. The OP has not shown measurements of how his mods affected a baseline measurement.
  4. The OP has not established that his measurement system is accurate and that his measurement conditions are credible.
  5. Most of what has been claimed, could have been addressed with the speaker settings and/or external eq. One’s willingness to modify electronics is NOT a substitute for good engineering practice.
While can give the OP some leeway, ASR has stood for objectivity in audio equipments reviews. So far, this thread is a bunch of subjective claims that lack scientific credibility.

I hope further objective evidence is shared, but suggest the usual ASR skepticism should apply here for now. :)

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
Not sure about how a German operation like Behringer would address this post (if at all).
Calling Behringer a "German operation" is sort of dubious - they make their stuff super cheap in China to hit a low price point.

D!sco

Send it in to Amir, if you can. This seems like a steal, akin to the HiVi 3.1 with mods. What's the max output?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Calling Behringer a "German operation" is sort of dubious - they make their stuff super cheap in China to hit a low price point.

Many companies have major manufacturing in China or other parts of Asia but are still identified with a home country.

Anyway, is really not the major point of my post so seems hair splitting in any case?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clever. Maybe the manufacturer will see this and adopt these mods.

Top Bottom