• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer STUDIO L & STUDIO XL

umbral

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Interesting. Max +22 dBu in/out, eh? But out of all ways to control monitor volume, they had to use VCAs? Why? Those were already exotic and a dying breed when I first looked into them almost 15 years ago, and with relatively few applications beside compressors I can't imagine they've become any more numerous since then. They never were the last word in distortion and noise. I could understand a lot of designs, like using the pot to control digital attenuation or a PGA, but this is a puzzler.

OP
U

umbral

Interesting. Max +22 dBu in/out, eh? But out of all ways to control monitor volume, they had to use VCAs? Why? Those were already exotic and a dying breed when I first looked into them almost 15 years ago, and with relatively few applications beside compressors I can't imagine they've become any more numerous since then. They never were the last word in distortion and noise. I could understand a lot of designs, like using the pot to control digital attenuation or a PGA, but this is a puzzler.

I guess new product with old technology regarding VCAs

Can you explain more regarding : "Max +22 dBu in/out, eh? "
What does it mean ?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It is quite unusual to see a full +22 dBu output level (+4 dBu + 18 dB of headroom) outside the pro studio realm (you will never need it unless you're running corresponding outboard gear). Add the -90 dBu noise level, and the picture of a very traditional design emerges... there must have been at least one grey beard with experience from the '90s or even earlier involved, obviously including analog compressors since I don't think anyone would be using VCAs who has never done so before.

A built-in talkback mic is another feature seemingly aimed at more traditional studio use (a feature also seen e.g. on the Arturia Audiofuse). So overall I would say these are aimed at a different crowd than an M2/M4 or other typical "home recording" interfaces. Whether that crowd will be interested in a Behringer interface of all things is anyone's guess though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can you explain more regarding : "Max +22 dBu in/out, eh? "
What does it mean ?

"What is dBu? A logarithmic voltage ratio with a reference voltage of V0 = 0.7746 volt ≡ 0 dBu"

1629459002673.png

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

MikeSadlerAU

I assume (please corect me if wrong) these will never beat MOTU M2/M4 despite being slightly more expensive.
Completely different use-case/target audience. The MOTU devices are first and foremost DAW interfaces, with some monitoring capability. These devices are almost the reverse, aimed at studios, mostly small/home/project that have multiple monitors for tracking/mixing. They *might not* even be used as an interface, instead *just* being used as a way to provide cue/headphone (and talkback) mixes and reliable mixdown options in the control room that has multiple sources and multiple sets of monitors.

As far as VCA's go, they are far from a dying breed in this use-case (tracking/mixing)... in fact VCA's are a feature of many digital mixing desks/software including for live sound. Assuming a 'quality' VCA is used, the ever present potential (see what I did Mum?) for the Volume pot to go scratchy is eliminated, and the opportunity to set the sweet spot of the to a point that makes sense to you is there too. These Behringer units have trim controls (+/-) for each input, so you can also match the input sources volumes and outputs (or make them different for that matter) so that e.g. two disparate input sources will have equal volume at through a monitor set.

Whilst not necessarily being used as a computer interface, the option is there, and could be useful for quickly adding an overdub in the control room, rather than having to go to the 'live' room... I have 24 tracks of I/O in my 'live' room (garage :cool: ) so being able to add a 'quick cowbell track' from the mix position is handy. There's also a mini-stereo input, so being able to play an iPhone track (demo/other version) to *everyone* listening to the cue mix is handy, or to audition an MP3 render on a phone through the studio monitors is also handy.

On that note, and finally, the gain available is allow the use of mics that need it... especially e.g. Shure's SM7B or Rode's Procaster, which need lot's of pre-amp gain, being primarily designed for radio/voiceover use... Broadcast folk like control over the gain staging and tonality of their sources. Again, assuming a 'quality' preamp is used, being able to bring *any* signal up to the 'best' level for recording – without introducing noise – is a 'good thing'. The MOTU units would (I assume) do this as a matter of course, but Behringer is answering a potential show-stopper buying question by making a big deal out of this... it would be a 'no' from me without it, as I have both those mics.

I arrived here whilst researching buying one of these. If I go ahead I'll report back :)

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, break-a-leg. Mike

raindoggeorge

(old thread but) these Behringer STUDIO L & STUDIO XL are clones of Mackie Big Knob Studio and Mackie Big Knob Studio+ If you have a look, are exactly the same in terms of functions and connectivity...

zerogvfx

Does the Behringer Studio XL provide subwoofer support and output? What are the best methods for subwoofer implementation?

Top Bottom