• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer NX1000D Review (Stereo Amplifier)

djtetei

Yes, I know about the FTC rule. Sadly it is just a trading body, not an international standard organisation whos certifications can be applied globally.
Furthermore, under a globalised economy, many customers make their purchases online, from other countries, where such rules do not exists.
How many customers do you know to file a suit against a company for failing to disclose their power ratings procedures or fot making false claims about their products performance?
For a true relation, based on respect between the customers and manufacturers, we need standards and certifications that can be enforced on or adhered to by the manufacturers.
Manufacturers who don't want to abide by the established standards and certify their products, can do so at their own risk, knowing that the potential customers may not choose to buy their products exactly because of the lack of certifications.
When someone buys an AV receiver, a HD or UHD player is very happy to know that seing the Dolby Digital, Dolby True HD, Dolby Vision, THX, RoHS or other logos on the product means that the product meets or exceeds the specific standards requirements and specifications.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I know about the FTC rule. Sadly it is just a trading body, not an international standard organisation whos certifications can be applied globally.
FTC is a federal agency, not a trading body. They may not have the power to throw the CEO of Behringer to prison and throw the key away but that rule allows me to call them a liar.

However, another federal agency, EPA has managed to fine VW in US which was followed globally. EPA may still send their executives to jail.

Morally, I see no difference with what Behringer is doing.

djtetei

Subjectively and morally, yes, one can choose to call them liars, but objectively they can't.
The only sure alternative is refusing or rejecting to buy their products for failure to disclose measurements procedures.
However, in the real world, where not everyone has the means to afford equipments made by serious manufacturers who truly care about their brand name and customer satisfaction, there will always be others who will choose to buy based only on the lowest price, ignoring technical specifications or standard compliance and certifications.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Subjectively and morally, yes, one can choose to call them liars, but objectively they can't.
You said above that their advertised power figures do not match reality. Isn’t that objective enough for you?

The only sure alternative is refusing or rejecting to buy their products for failure to disclose measurements procedures. However, in the real world, where not everyone has the means to afford equipments made by serious manufacturers who truly care about their brand name, there will always be others who will choose to buy based only on the lowest price, ignoring technical specifications or standard compliance and certifications.
I didn’t realise that ASR is a marketing forum. If ASR members don't care when a manufacturer lies, and shrugs their shoulders we certainly have no hope.

djtetei

You said above that their advertised power figures do not match reality. Isn’t that objective enough for you?
Their situation and practices are clearly enough for me to avoid buying Behringer amplifiers.

djtetei

If ASR members don't care when a manufacturer lies, and shrugs their shoulders we certainly have no hope.
Me, you dear sir and other distinguished members of this community may care about manufacturers who fail to tell the truth. However, Behringer and others like them, under the parent company Music Group, don't try to sell its products only to us, so their business is pretty much assured in that regard.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Me, you dear sir and other distinguished members of this community may care about manufacturers who fail to tell the truth. However, Behringer and others like them, under the parent company Music Group, don't try to sell its products only to us, so their business is pretty much assured in that regard.
VW thought the same. I’m hopeful if people don’t shrug the lies off.

djtetei

Insude the European Union we have a 14 days return, no questions asked, policy for online purchases and we make the best of it, even if, sometimes, this means sending the product back to Germany or other European Union countries, supporting the return costs on our own.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you can tolerate the fan noise.
Good point, but not a concern for me. One concern I have is, input seems to be speakon plugs requiring speakon plug interconnect. I do not seem to be able to find rca to speakon interconnect. What do I need to do to connect this amp to my preamp?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point, but not a concern for me. One concern I have is, input seems to be speakon plugs requiring speakon plug interconnect. I do not seem to be able to find rca to speakon interconnect. What do I need to do to connect this amp to my preamp?
The amplifier has an 1/4" jack / XLR input socket. They look like a Speakon but they are not. All you need is a 1/4" jack to RCA adapter. You do need a Speakon connector for the speakers though.

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The amplifier has an 1/4" jack / XLR input socket. They look like a Speakon but they are not. All you need is a 1/4" jack to RCA adapter. You do need a Speakon connector for the speakers though.
Ok, thank you, I already have XLR to RCA, so I should be good to go.

djtetei

FTC is a federal agency, not a trading body. They may not have the power to throw the CEO of Behringer to prison and throw the key away but that rule allows me to call them a liar.
Out of curiosity I checked if there is any official Behringer dealers in the US and I found six, including a New York based company called Adorama who sells Behringer products, including power amplifiers.
Given the FTC jurisdiction, I wonder how this federal agency is enforcing its own rule on Behringer power amplifiers sold on the US soil?
They expect for a customer to buy a Behringer power amplifier and file a complaint or a private trial for failure to follow the FTC rule about amplifiers power ratings?
On Adorama website, Behringer and Lab Gruppen power amplifiers specifications about power ratings are no different than the ones published in their own manuals (stating max power or peak voltage).
How about inside the UK? Is there any similar rule issued by OFT?

Last edited:

sojun80

Well, I learned a lot. Bought this thing for $200 on sale, kinda forgot about it. Decided to hook it up to my car audio subwoofer that I've been using for my computer setup (12" sundown monster). I've had it hooked up to a car audio amp and custom power supply, but the power supply is extremely noisy being a 40mm fan and I actually use it to test 12v parts on cars.

So first off, the fan sucks that comes with this thing. Or it blows. You pick. It barely blows any air out for all of the noise it makes. Anyway I bought a notcua fan. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KF7T9MI and swapped out the old one. Seems to provide about the same airflow. I cannot hear it.

Next was a bit of an adventure in cables. I'm using a AIYIMA D03 for my desktop so RCA to XLR easy enough https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHWYDVQ . The fun was the speakon. I've never heard of or used a speakon cable in my life. I learned they are 2 and 4 POLE a bit too late, cheap ones appear to always be 2 wire 2 or 4 POLE really just means it has 2 or 4 cables in it. You want a speakon with 4 cables when working with this amp, so you can operate in bridge mode on a subwoofer. I had no idea and ordered a speakon with just 2 wires and once it came, I just cut it in half, revealing the cables. First off I just plugged it into channel A and on to the subwoofer in stereo mode - not much boomboom :( It made noise but very poor. So after googling some I came across an application called nxedit from behringer. You need one of those USB cables that seems to come with all printers. USB A? Plug that in to your windows pc and you get access to a ton of EQ. Pretty neato. I was able to turn the gain up a bit and make considerably more boomboom.

However we need to bridge this amp to do what I wanted. You will read on the back of this amp it says +1 +2 or some funny business. Coming from the car audio world it's pretty strange. I googled more and learned speakon has 4 connectors possible. However I've got just 2 wires so WTF? So I took apart this speakon connector and found yes indeed it has 2 more places for wires. I soldered the other negative connection to the cable with some good old 12 gauge copper wire. Finally, hooked the positive 1 to the subwoofer and then negative 2 (the new wire I added) to the subwoofer. This is what they call +1 +2 in the speakon cable world but it just means the first positive connector and the second negative connector. All on channel A. You don't bridge from channel B like you would on a car audio application. Turned on bridge mode and it worked! Much more boomboom.

I recommend just getting 1 speakon connector and a couple of speaker cables and soldering on to the connector at the first positive and second negative. Turn on bridge mode and good to go. Or just buy a 4 pole/cable connector and cut it apart/strip the wire.

The EQ feature is pretty awesome and the amp uses a ton less power at the wall compared to my old one. Or I think it does. Way less heat. So I think I'm running this amp at lower ohms than it's supposed to. We'll see if it lasts. I hope it does! I'm running it way under clipping so that might help.

Top Bottom