• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer MODs DCX Upgrade Review

Rate this upgrade:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 57.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Does what it says on the box, what more can you ask for.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those with this unit, this is one of several mods that have existed, and is a good option if one wants to upgrade and has some DIY skill in electronics.

On the other hand, I would have to agree with the contention that unless you are in the above situation, a MiniDSP flex blows away the Behringer in terms of performance, capabilities and options.

The Behringer is rather old in the teeth, and intended more for the pro use audience, but it will be interesting to see if they at some point update this unit and how.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm
I did not read your review yet and it doesn't much matter for what I want say, in just a few more words:
Luv Yah!

PeteL

Major Contributor
For those with this unit, this is one of several mods that have existed, and is a good option if one wants to upgrade and has some DIY skill in electronics.
How hard is this? I see just a fully populated PCB and a couple ribbon connectors? What DIY skills are involved? Soldering? Spot voltage measurments and pot adjust?

Solveit

To bad our neighbours did brexit.
200€ to Sweden with taxes and customs.
Not worth to upgrade mine that just layin there.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...What DIY skills are involved? Soldering? Spot voltage measurments and pot adjust?
Per the 16 page document of @Music707 link, the answer yes, yes, no!
The PDF also shows the need for steady hands [ignore the remark about cup-of-coffee] and possibly a PCB workstation for SMT replacements.
And this:
202301_BehringerMods.png

anphex

Forum Donor
A few dB sinad more and a little less noise is "much better"? Okaaay...

I think one should ditch Behringer right away if you care about high quality audio processing.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

PeteL

Major Contributor

I think one should ditch Behringer right away if you care about high quality audio processing.
6 to 7 dB lower noise floor, 8 dB for the DAC, is huge.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted great :) first time I’ve encountered a modification service that actually delivers as promised.

There are many garage operations that offers mods of dubious value this is something else :)

ssashton

The big win to my mind is ~20dB reduction of intermodulation distortion in the mid-high frequencies. Particuarly as intermod / multi-tone is a non-harmonic distortion I think there is at least an argument for it being more audible than THD.

That's why I'm very happy Amir added the multi-tone measurment and he went back to do the stock unit as well.

dtaylo1066

How hard is this? I see just a fully populated PCB and a couple ribbon connectors? What DIY skills are involved? Soldering? Spot voltage measurments and pot adjust?
Yes some soldering, pretty easy for some, but also some de-soldering of some caps, and I believe dealing with SMDs. Not a simple plug and play for many.

Ra1zel

I will probably be seen as extreme pessimist but it essentially doesn't add anything of value yet deletes the nice feature of high voltage output, thus now being unable to push best amps on the market (benchmark/purifi) to their max potential in low gain.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but it essentially doesn't add anything of value yet deletes the nice feature of high voltage output,
Per @amirm' price quote of "£138" and even if it only improves performance by just ~6dB << wouldn't that make it very cost-effective retrofit to gain 50%^ performance?

TimW

Major Contributor
Requires removal of SMD components and clipping the XLR connector legs and running individual wires to each. That requires considerable disassembly and fiddling. The improvements don't look that major to me, just a few dB in most circumstances. I kind of doubt the performance improvement is audible or worth the effort.

TimW

Major Contributor
I have one as well, and use it for my PA system. I doubt this upgrade would change the sound coming from the Old JBLs powered by cheap Crowns.

Top Bottom