• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer MODs DCX Upgrade Review

Rate this upgrade:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 68 57.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 30 25.4%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have one as well, and use it for my PA system. I doubt this upgrade would change the sound coming from the Old JBLs powered by cheap Crowns.
Come here and I'll twist-your-wrist to help you change your mind.
You have an opportunity to geek-out. It may even get you an e-ticket to audio heaven!;)

Doesn't have a USB input, so if you wanted to use it digitally off a PC, you have to use something to convert the USB into SPDIF like the SMSL PO 100, and then convert the SPDIF into AES/EBU like the Canare transformers. Price of the unit is $350+price of the mod kit is another $140 USD+there is sweat equity of doing the DIY mod. Comes to over $500, and, in the end, won't be as performant as most current DACS.

When you consider that a brand new MiniDsp Flex 8 is $599, and does everything this does with two more output channels. and has the $199 option of adding Dirac Live to it, and will almost certainly have Sinads from all eight of its DAC channels exceeding 110 db, I don't see why this modded Behringer would be an option unless someone wants to tinker.
I've bought 1 USB -> AES convertor for £50 ( upto 44.1) and a new one from China that I'm running at 192... This was £113 new, shipped. USB->AES is straight digital you don't need anything expensive. And I'll put £50 on the fact you would not hear any difference on a blind test.

Fone

A few years ago there were a lot of mods sold for the Behringer DEQ2496. Some of the DIY audio forum people found some design shortcomings (which I can not recall) that could not really be "upgraded" and I think that killed the upgrade business. Behringer did some firmware upgrades so maybe that helped.

There is a thread for that box here

ssashton

FYI you can get an upgrade kit for the DEQ Ultracurve in a similar fashion shown here, for £80 GBP. The upgrade and audio performance is practically identical to the DCX Ultradrive.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
this is strange wy below 80 hz distortion increase so much. maybe limiter kick in or so. I had to decide between this and the tracks mini. from features the 2496 (also in stock version) is clear better and have too no fan for cooling. larger t.racks have a Fan. I decide for the t.racks mini because it have a good editor for PC. seem still behringer have no editor. thats no go for me because it is very uncomfortable to edit with buttons. they should add usb and editor too.

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When you consider that a brand new MiniDsp Flex 8 is $599, and does everything this does with two more output channels. and has the $199 option of adding Dirac Live to it, and will almost certainly have Sinads from all eight of its DAC channels exceeding 110 db, I don't see why this modded Behringer would be an option unless someone wants to tinker.

I find in minidsp page flex 2*4 . this is unbalanced and bad when connect to a computer . the behringer is balanced. i now find out that unbalanced make no noise and problems when use before USB soundbox a ifi idefender and you must connect a own USB power supply(that all have for smartphone charging is good enough) in the side usb connector in the idefender. They write only bus powered USB devices need that. but thats wrong. the focusrite 8i6o is not bus powered and have own power supply. The ifi idefender need own power supply. without that there is more noise as without idefender. but with power device in idefender there is silence as with balanced. the 6 db dynamic loss i not miss. work with all my active speakers i have . no additional noise

BCM191

Doesn't have a USB input, so if you wanted to use it digitally off a PC, you have to use something to convert the USB into SPDIF like the SMSL PO 100, and then convert the SPDIF into AES/EBU like the Canare transformers. Price of the unit is $350+price of the mod kit is another $140 USD+there is sweat equity of doing the DIY mod. Comes to over $500, and, in the end, won't be as performant as most current DACS.

But for the tens of thousands of people that already have one or two it makes perfect sense..

Top Bottom