• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer DEQ2496 Ultracurve Pro DSP Review

jamescarter1982

I have one of these and the power supply went bang is there commonly used more reliable / higher quality replacement around ? I don't mind if it's some kind of kit you have to solder up yourself ? thanks in advance James

jamescarter1982

I have one of these and the power supply went bang is there commonly used more reliable / higher quality replacement around ? I don't mind if it's some kind of kit you have to solder up yourself ? thanks in advance James
or does anyone have the schematic please?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
or does anyone have the schematic please?
No, but on mine the PS also failed due to a blown elcap which was easy to spot (bulged top). I replaced it and it worked fine again.

This is a pic of the DCX2496 which uses the same PS, and the arrow points to the blown elcap.
topview-ps-cap.png

jamescarter1982

No, but on mine the PS also failed due to a blown elcap which was easy to spot (bulged top). I replaced it and it worked fine again.

This is a pic of the DCX2496 which uses the same PS, and the arrow points to the blown elcap.
View attachment 266516
yeah that is what happened thanks it's pretty obvious which one blew I just wondered if that meant there was another fault earlier in the power supply but I guess I can change the cap first and see if it comes back on thankyou

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah that is what happened thanks it's pretty obvious which one blew I just wondered if that meant there was another fault earlier in the power supply but I guess I can change the cap first and see if it comes back on thankyou
Yeah that's just what I did and it worked (knock on wood).

GM3

Funny coincidence, 3 weeks ago I powered mine which had been on a shelf for a while, and it wouldn't boot. Opened it up, and I could see a cap from the power supply section actually bubbling. Bubbles coming out of the top/center of the cap... Should be an easy fix, but makes me wonder if it's a design flaw?

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just put mine back into service again after finding it a few weeks ago. It hasn't been in use for about 8 years I'm guessing. I thought I had given it away. I'm using the optical input and AES output to the DCX2496. I was using an SRC2496 but that thing has a noisy power supply. I really like the equalizer functionality on this unit, and I like having the RTA on while I'm listening.

GM3

View attachment 266516
btw did you just replace just that one cap? Reading, PSU failings seem common for Behringer, 'low quality caps' some say... So I'm wondering whether replacing all the caps in the PS section might be worth it... But as I asked yesterday, I'm also wondering if it's more a design issue and if there's 1 cap that overheats and blows up all the time on different units... If so, maybe changing to a different cap might be a good idea?

Anyhow, I'll do more research in the future, if it's just changing that 1 cap, also wondering if I could just snip the cap and solder the new one to the wire sticking out of the board, would be less trouble vs disassembling. Is that a no go? Hmm.. but that might not be that easy either if you don't want long wires.. sigh..

Maybe disassembling and bring the board to a pro.. I have limited electronics soldering experience, but might take opportunity to buy new soldering kit.. hmm. But yeah seemed to be just 1 cap, if so likely wouldn't be very too difficult, even cleanly removing/replacing through board.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
btw did you just replace just that one cap?
Yes.
Anyhow, I'll do more research in the future, if it's just changing that 1 cap, also wondering if I could just snip the cap and solder the new one to the wire sticking out of the board, would be less trouble vs disassembling. Is that a no go?
This is not possible, you have to desolder the cap. I don't remember it being difficult.
Maybe disassembling and bring the board to a pro.. I have limited electronics soldering experience, but might take opportunity to buy new soldering kit.. hmm. But yeah seemed to be just 1 cap, if so likely wouldn't be very too difficult, even cleanly removing/replacing through board.
You need to do it fast to not destroy the PCB, and clean the holes (e.g.with a pump).

Reactions: GM3

jamescarter1982

mine got dropped in shipping having been sold on eBay and stopped working I think I'll try replacing all the caps in the power supply they're pretty cheap they should be snap in ones shouldn't they?

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The caps are not snap in, and a failure after dropping it does not look like the caps needing replacement.

jamescarter1982

well one is bulging so I might as well replace it anyway and see if it works don't know how else to procede

Last edited:

Saabale

Sorry, I have to ask if you suggest this deq or minidsp 2x4HD. I just need a peq for my hifi system. Is it better to deq full Digital and connect it via toslink to a dac, use its internal dac, or use minidsp with toslink input and its internal dac?
Or there's something better?

I will be using it with the bluesound node and an m5si thanks!

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't have experience with the minidsp 2x4HD. I have used the DEQ digital in and out and I think it's a really nice and useful unit for that. It has some features that you might not need or want. I found the graphic equalizer has some features for appling slopes to attain room curves that are complicated to do with the parametric. The voltage on the analog output is pro level so that might require an attenuator on the output or use of digital attenuation. You could try it either way and see if you like its dac or your other dac better. The 2X4 HD is smaller and more discreet, lacking all the buttons, indicator lights, and illuminated display. Once you've set it up you don't have to worry about buttons getting pushed by little kids or yourself inadvertantly.

Saabale

I don't have experience with the minidsp 2x4HD. I have used the DEQ digital in and out and I think it's a really nice and useful unit for that. It has some features that you might not need or want. I found the graphic equalizer has some features for appling slopes to attain room curves that are complicated to do with the parametric. The voltage on the analog output is pro level so that might require an attenuator on the output or use of digital attenuation. You could try it either way and see if you like its dac or your other dac better. The 2X4 HD is smaller and more discreet, lacking all the buttons, indicator lights, and illuminated display. Once you've set it up you don't have to worry about buttons getting pushed by little kids or yourself inadvertantly.
Thank you so much for your answer.

But does anyone know that on the performance side there is a winner? Deq with digital to external dac vs digital to analog minidsp. Or are they very near so I can go on the cheapest?

I have one, and use it for digital S/PDIF input/output.
...Same here. I use it in the digital domain exclusively, and I frickin' love the thing for combo EQ and compression. I totally get that compression, particularly, is a form of infidelity and can result in increased noise (lowering the top reduces effective bits, and relatively raises the bottom), but compression falls squarely into the "enhances listening pleasure" category. I've ended up with 3 of these things they work so well. The MiniDSP things are a fortune. Not sure what else does these jobs this well so inexpensively (~$300).

MRC01

Major Contributor
Thank you so much for your answer.

But does anyone know that on the performance side there is a winner? Deq with digital to external dac vs digital to analog minidsp. Or are they very near so I can go on the cheapest?
I just noticed your question. The DEQ's DAC isn't terrible but it's not the best either. If you have a good DAC, run the digital signal through the DEQ first to apply whatever processing you want, and then your DAC.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 266516
My DEQ2496 recently failed again and I repaired it today. It was the same cap which had failed before and failed again:
powersupply-topview.jpg

This time the cap looked good but has leaked:
powersupply-bad-cap.jpg

BTW: The ESR70 showed this leak also while the cap was soldered in!

I still have four of those caps on storage but maybe these are not well suited for this task or just too old (min. 20, maybe 30 years or even more). Since it's sunday and shops are closed I used one of those four (C=1100 uF, ESR = 0.04 Ohm, whatever this means in this context). But next time I'm going to buy a cap with better specs.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
This time the cap looked good but has leaked:
Nope, it's just gone electrically leaky (low parallel resistance, indicative of dielectric layer degradation). Unless you spotted a puddle of electrolyte as well, that is.
I still have four of those caps on storage but maybe these are not well suited for this task or just too old (min. 20, maybe 30 years or even more).
Possibly the latter. (The company has been called Vishay Roederstein since like 1993, and I don't think their electrolytics have been very common since then. I'm guessing their were hit hard by the collapse of German consumer electronics manufacturing.) I might suggest gentle reforming at nominal rated voltage prior to use. EKM is a "General purpose, 105°C" cap according to the replacement table. 40 mOhms seems a pretty good ESR value for a 1000µ/25V though.

I hope you noticed that your C15 is also looking a bit puffy.

BTW, was the original a 1000µ/6.3? The general rule of thumb for such filter caps is not to use a cap rated at more than 3 times the actual sustained voltage. The dielectric layer may not regenerate properly. That would be even more of a problem with these NOS caps that have been gathering dust forever.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Electrolytics have improved a lot with time. You might want to get some modern Panasonic or Nichicon 105c caps. I'm sure others can suggest good brands.

Top Bottom