• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer B2031A high pitch noise problem

wbl

I need help with a weird problem caused by my Behringer B2031A speakers.
I recently moved and noticed a high pitched beep coming from my speakers from time to time.
Basically it comes randomly and then after some time it disappears again.
It is not very loud, but loud enough to hear it everywhere in my living room as a distant beep.

My setup is: Raspberry pi running spotify going into usb powered DAC via balanced jacks to the Behringer B2031A speakers.

However the beep is seems to be independent of the Pi and DAC.

The troubleshooting i did:
Beep: everything connected too same wall outlet via powerstrip
Beep: speakers on not connected to DAC
No Beep: 1 speaker on and connected to DAC. (does not matter which speaker).

So i suspect that there is some interference from the wall outlet.
however due to how the room is setup i cannot use two different outlets to connect the speakers.
The wall outlet is a Dutch double socket that is grounded.
I initially had both speakers on one powerstrip and then the other outlet on a powerstrip with the Pi, TV, TV box and some lights.
I tried plugging one into the shared strip and the other one in the wall, but that did not solve the problem.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated, this beep is really driving me crazy.

OP
W

wbl

i just read that Behringer advices to connect the speakers to the same wall outlet with a power strip:

Use the enclosed power cord to connect the TRUTH to the mains. To avoid ground
loops, both speakers and the mixing console should be fed from the same outlet.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Troubleshoot step 2 - speakers on, not connected to DAC.

Were the leads disconnected at the speaker end or the DAC end? Is there any connection between the two speakers. Can't think why there would be but this makes little sense at the moment. My first thought was a ground loop, but if the two speakers are each only connected to the mains there seems little scope for a loop, unless there is something else connecting them together.

Can you sketch the complete wiring?

OP
W

wbl

The jack plugs where disconnected from the speakers. i will draw the situation tomorrow.
One thing i should still try is connect them both directly too the wall outlet and turn them on.
But that is not a viable solution as then i cannot connect the other equipment.

OP
W

wbl

So today I plugged the speakers both directly into the wall outlet, which, has two sockets. Removed the jacks from the speakers. With this I still get the high pitch beep. So I guess it is a problem with the wall outlet. But still I find it is weird... Anyone ever had this problem? And can advice what to look for? I will have a look this weekend but I am not an electrician so not sure if that will help..

antcollinet

Master Contributor
So today I plugged the speakers both directly into the wall outlet, which, has two sockets. Removed the jacks from the speakers. With this I still get the high pitch beep. So I guess it is a problem with the wall outlet. But still I find it is weird... Anyone ever had this problem? And can advice what to look for? I will have a look this weekend but I am not an electrician so not sure if that will help..
Is it continuous? To be honest this is sounding like a speaker fault to me.

Do both speakers do it? Does one plugged in on it's own do it? Does the other? What about in a room at the opposite end of the house.

OP
W

wbl

Thanks Tony, no it is not continious, thats makes it especially enoying to find the problem.

Anyway, i tested the speakers on another wall outlet which has a different electronical group.
This gave the same high pitch beep after some time.
So i guess you are right and the problem is with the speakers.
Ill contact the dealer i bought them and try to resolve it with them.

Thank you again for the help!

fkalmus

So i guess you are right and the problem is with the speakers.
Ill contact the dealer i bought them and try to resolve it with them.
Hi @wbl! That high pitch noise, leasts for hours, then suddenly nothing, then again... annoys me too. Did u find any solution? I see it's from 2022, but I'm still facing with. Any advice and soution is appreciated!
fkalmus

OP
W

wbl

no, i never solved it. In the end up I sold them with a huge discount, with full disclosure on the problem.

Top Bottom