• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Behringer A800 vs The Rest.

Pjetrof

Like to hear from more experienced people in electronics and reading measurements, what would be audible better then the Behringer A800.
Powering Harbeth 30.2, mostly singer song writer, reasonable loudness, 40 square meter rectangular, speakers on long side 2 meters apart 3 meters to listening position. Money no object.
thx in advance for the replies.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing would. The A800 is audibly transparent, so provided it has sufficient power, and it does for anyone sane, especially using Harbeth loudspeakers, there is no benefit whatsoever in another amplifier.

Of course if what you want is an excuse to buy something more expensive, then by all means. If you want something that isn't transparent, that has a sound of its own, then there are lots of options, but none of them 'better' than the A800, just different.

S.

Ron Texas

Major Contributor
I'm using a Crown XLS1502 with LS50's. It's probably the same thing as the A800 with more power and a built in highpass filter for bass management. I suspect it's of more robust construction. I don't see anything wrong with your setup. It's a big room, but if it plays loud enough that's good.

Laserjock

Forum Donor
I know your speakers are front ported but do you leave them up against the wall as in the pic on the Benchmark thread?
Might experiment with placement? Free tweak