• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

HemiRick

My Behringer NX3000 barely gets warm even when running hard for long periods....I've replaced the stock fan w a Noctura. I think they only have fans to be safe in running in outside temps of over 100F.....

hansik

Don´t underestimate the power output of these Behringers. Other brands with similar out cost considerably more. THe Crown class D amps also have ventilators, but they´re much more quiet.
I tried the iNukes for general audio and didnt like them, the A800 sounds much better in my short experience, but it´s output is limited for driving big subs.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
still hearin' the siren call of one of those Crown DriveCores, I am...

;)

bYOndo

Let’s make it clear: an hifi amplifier has NO fans. Behringer A800 is interesting because although is not sold as an hifi amplifier, it’s fanless, so it “could” jump into the hifi category.

Massimo

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Let’s make it clear: an hifi amplifier has NO fans.

I've placed a couple of 3-speed muffin fans near the heatsinks of my fanless hifi amps, and a third sends a little breeze across the tops of the amps and the preamp.

Willem

Major Contributor
Why should a hifi amplifier not have fans? Of course you do not want to hear a fan, but e.g. my son's 2x250 watt Yamaha P2500s pro audio amp has a fan, but that never comes on in domestic use. So the crucial thing is that the fan has a variable speed. If it ever comes on, it will be at loud party levels, when the noise will be inaudible.
Talking about fan noise, I have been more troubled by computer fans and the little fans in some Bluray players and set top boxes.

bYOndo

sorry, I forgot to write "in my opinion" ;) obviously anyone can find pleasure in anything that "sounds good" to him/her. I love this forum for its scientific approach, so it's a nonsense to my super-humble me having something that steals good signal, when state of the art says there's no need for having it. For example, I even hesitate to buy an Hypex based amp only because it could have a "whining coil hum"! And I don't understand the example of a fan that kicks in at "party level music"; I could listen to VERY loud and dynamic music on a hot and moisty summer day and when there is a super dramatic silence pause, here comes the fan noise to ruin everything? no way...
In conclusion, it wasn't my intention to making statements (even if i did it ;)), maybe just a provocation, in a good way.

Massimo

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why should a hifi amplifier not have fans? Of course you do not want to hear a fan, but e.g. my son's 2x250 watt Yamaha P2500s pro audio amp has a fan, but that never comes on in domestic use. So the crucial thing is that the fan has a variable speed. If it ever comes on, it will be at loud party levels, when the noise will be inaudible.
Talking about fan noise, I have been more troubled by computer fans and the little fans in some Bluray players and set top boxes.
Me too, and my video projector.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
Theres a part in the youtube link video were it says its audible even when both the volume controls are fully zeroed. Is that the case?

I was going to buy one of these as I think its exceptional value for money for a class D and has a decent amount of power, what it sounds like I can only guess though. Didnt think the A500 was anything special. And the other thing is I have a PMP2000D PA/mixer here which I havent got much other use for at the moment, not the same hi-fi form factor obviously but I would imagine its as good sounding, and it has twice the power so I might just employ that for some fun instead of spending out again, I just cant help myself buying equipment :)
Let’s make it clear: an hifi amplifier has NO fans. Behringer A800 is interesting because although is not sold as an hifi amplifier, it’s fanless, so it “could” jump into the hifi category.

Massimo
Behringer considers it a reference amplifier. For this application fanless is usually preferred. From Behringers website...
  • Ultra-linear power amplifier for recording studios, post-production, live sound and HiFi application

Ron Texas

Master Contributor

Massimo
Yeah, and $1,000 power cords make a difference.

IowAudio

Forum Donor
Behringer considers it a reference amplifier. For this application fanless is usually preferred. From Behringers website...
  • Ultra-linear power amplifier for recording studios, post-production, live sound and HiFi application
Theres a part in the youtube link video were it says its audible even when both the volume controls are fully zeroed. Is that the case?

I was going to buy one of these as I think its exceptional value for money for a class D and has a decent amount of power, what it sounds like I can only guess though. Didnt think the A500 was anything special. And the other thing is I have a PMP2000D PA/mixer here which I havent got much other use for at the moment, not the same hi-fi form factor obviously but I would imagine its as good sounding, and it has twice the power so I might just employ that for some fun instead of spending out again, I just cant help myself buying equipment :)

"Music is audible even when volume is zeroed" During this part of the video I have a CD/DVD player connected directly to the A800. This is NOT recommended. I did it anyway because I know someone will want to know if it can be done. I may go back and take this part of the video out. I stated this is only an issue if you DONT use a preamp or mixer. Using the amp with a mixer or preamp as intended and its dead quiet.

Reactions: wje

Westsounds

"Music is audible even when volume is zeroed" During this part of the video I have a CD/DVD player connected directly to the A800. This is NOT recommended. I did it anyway because I know someone will want to know if it can be done. I may go back and take this part of the video out. I stated this is only an issue if you DONT use a preamp or mixer. Using the amp with a mixer or preamp as intended and its dead quiet.
No leave it in, its all good information about how the product functions. Its an excellent video.

hansik

ok, arrived back from holiday. Played an hour between A800 and Ncore 252 (Audiophonics). The Audiophonics was packed in a funny way, I thought it was from Aliexpress first ;). But no offence, the amp was well protected and 100% ok.

My tests were only subjective, listening to some tracks I know very well. First I thought maybe the Ncore is a bit better (but aware of psychology...). But after more testing I think they sound the same. Don't take my word for it, testing was done in a very unprofessional way, without perfect volume matching etc.

Regarding noise I can't say much,l because I'm running Canton Vento speakers, I think they're 86db sensitivity. My 96db sensitivity QSC cinema speakers are in storage because I'm waiting for my new house to be ready. So possibly the tweeter horn might me more noisy on the A800, can't confirm that now.

Al by all, I really like the A800 and certainly will buy some more for surround. It's price of 169 euro in unbelievable.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
ok, arrived back from holiday. Played an hour between A800 and Ncore 252 (Audiophonics). The Audiophonics was packed in a funny way, I thought it was from Aliexpress first ;). But no offence, the amp was well protected and 100% ok.

My tests were only subjective, listening to some tracks I know very well. First I thought maybe the Ncore is a bit better (but aware of psychology...). But after more testing I think they sound the same. Don't take my word for it, testing was done in a very unprofessional way, without perfect volume matching etc.

Regarding noise I can't say much,l because I'm running Canton Vento speakers, I think they're 86db sensitivity. My 96db sensitivity QSC cinema speakers are in storage because I'm waiting for my new house to be ready. So possibly the tweeter horn might me more noisy on the A800, can't confirm that now.

Al by all, I really like the A800 and certainly will buy some more for surround. It's price of 169 euro in unbelievable.
Strictly :) out of curiosity -- what source (medium & component, if not a computer) and loudspeakers did you use?

hansik

As I wrote, my speakers are Canton Vento speakers (830.2), through pc -> usb -> Audioengine D1 DAC. Not high end, but a reasonably good dac anyway.

hansik

Update: I connected the A800 to my QSC SR-1020 surround speakers (94db sensitivity), and I they're dead silent. I had to put my ear 3 inch from the horn to be able to hear the slightest hiss.
PC volume 100%, DAC volume 100%, A800 on 12, which is impossible volume to play.

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I agree.
I had 3 of them running outdoors on a ExtremPro X1 DAC (great value) for a party on the weekend.
Very good precision on 4 subs (2 amps, 4 channels, 8 ohms) even when slightly clipping :)
Highs were just unreal.
One week and hearing will be restored somewhat I guess but it was worth it.
They didn't even get warm on full power.
I will buy at least 7 more of these.

wje

Forum Donor
This darn forum. I found the Behringer A500 available locally for $45.00. One of the rear carry handles was bent slightly and it didn't come with an IEC cable. However, the condition is actually quite nice - no major scrapes, dings, gashes, etc.

I just hooked it up a short bit ago in place of my Cambridge Audio 851W amplifier. (200 w.p.c. @ 8 Ohms). I'm running the following: Bluesound Node 2+ -> Pioneer Elite SC.81 -> MiniDSP -> Split to 2 Monolith 10" ported subs and a pair of JBL 530 speakers, which are driven by the power amp. I had previously tried to use the Pioneer Elite SC.81 with the surround back channels to bi-amp my speakers. The sound? Anemic. I also previously had a Kenwood TXH stereo amp that I used for a short bit. 130 w.p.c. @ 6 Ohms. The Kenwood sound couldn't quite compare to how well the Cambridge could maintain the sound. The Kenwood had some grain to it. Now, back to the Behringer A500. I set it up with the levels as close as I could to where the Cambridge was adjusted. The A500 is doing a fine job of driving the JBL speakers. No anemic sound. Good bass. Good mids and good highs. It's quite a gem of an amplifier. Now, I'm split between opting for the A800 or trying to get a used Behringer NX6000D that's available locally for a pretty good price. Then again, my thoughts are all over the place. Was looking at a $4,100 McIntosh this morning that's available, but I should just put a blindfold on and enjoy the $45 amp. Keep the great reviews coming along!

hansik

use the Pioneer Elite SC.81 with the surround back channels to bi-amp my speakers. The sound? Anemic. I also previously had a Kenwood TXH stereo amp that I used for a short bit. 130 w.p.c. @ 6 Ohms. The Kenwood sound couldn't quite compare to how well the Cambridge could maintain the sound. The Kenwood had some grain to it. Now, back to the Behringer A500. I set it up with the levels as close as I could to where the Cambridge was adjusted. The A500 is doing a fine job of driving the JBL speakers. No anemic sound. Good bass. Good mids and good highs. It's quite a gem of an amplifier. Now, I'm split between opting for the A800 or trying to get a used Behringer NX6000D that's available locally for a pretty good price. Then again, my thoughts are all over the place. Was looking at a $4,100 McIntosh this morning that's available,

I have a few inukes, same as NX6000D. They're my favorite for my 21" subs, but I don't like them for full range audio. Tried them once and didn't like them. Also this amount of power for full range speakers is not needed. Get the A800 :)

Top Bottom