• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

Niklasmagnus

This my personal A800 I donated for testing. I've run mine against a Marantz SR4021, Crown XLS1000, Sony V333ES. All decent in their own regaurds but the A800 seems to have better damping factor which I think results in its good low end transience. The low end is powerful, tight, and accurate while the highs are crisp, clean, and detailed. Also seems to be dead quiet in dynamic music and when not playing music. Can't complain at $300, I feel behringer has made a good amp with a fair price. The Crown XLS1000 is probably very close in performnce, size, heat, weight and could be found cheaper if your willing to buy used. Id say if you cam swing an extra $30 just go for the XLS1002 overall its a better deal at $330.

Thanks for feedback. I like the idea of going fanless so will try the A800.
I have a Crown CTs600, but the fans cooling I so irritated. And since it run 24V fans (2 pcs) it’s not just to switch with PC fans.

Niklasmagnus

Today I received the A800. Looking at the size compared to a Crown CTs600 it looks like a toy. But when holding it, it feels well built.

162BBDD6-AAD5-4800-A94E-9BCB687A1F0B.jpeg
4D9E11F4-AE2E-4A76-B739-14DF7099524B.jpeg

Hope I will have time to hook it up tomorrow.

hansik

I really like my A800. Paid only 169 euros and sounds really good, dead silent. Never going to buy Aliexpress power amplifier boards again.

Westsounds

I really like my A800. Paid only 169 euros and sounds really good, dead silent. Never going to buy Aliexpress power amplifier boards again.
Theres a part in the youtube link video were it says its audible even when both the volume controls are fully zeroed. Is that the case?

I was going to buy one of these as I think its exceptional value for money for a class D and has a decent amount of power, what it sounds like I can only guess though. Didnt think the A500 was anything special. And the other thing is I have a PMP2000D PA/mixer here which I havent got much other use for at the moment, not the same hi-fi form factor obviously but I would imagine its as good sounding, and it has twice the power so I might just employ that for some fun instead of spending out again, I just cant help myself buying equipment :)

hansik

Just like with my Crown 1502 there was quite some hum when volume turned open at 11 o´clock or more. I removed the grounding wire and the amp is dead quiet.
I´m on holiday but return in 10 days, my AUdiophonics NC252MP has arrived at my home meanwhile so I will be able to compare.

Westsounds

Just like with my Crown 1502 there was quite some hum when volume turned open at 11 o´clock or more. I removed the grounding wire and the amp is dead quiet.
I´m on holiday but return in 10 days, my AUdiophonics NC252MP has arrived at my home meanwhile so I will be able to compare.
Great, look forward to it. Enjoy your time away.

TheBoosted

For the <$300 price range subwoofer amplifier, would you all agree that these entry level PA amps are the the go to for powering subswoofers?

A megathread with a tier list of the data everyone has collected would be a good idea.

hansik

for subwoofers I stick to Behringer inukes / nx models now. Nothing beats the power coming out of these for the price.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
for subwoofers I stick to Behringer inukes / nx models now. Nothing beats the power coming out of these for the price.
Does that include the broadly similar (configurationally and nearly price-wise) Crown " XLS DriveCore" (now DriveCore 2) amplifiers?

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

This is honestly not meant as a snarky question, I am genuinely curious (i.e., I've considered both for subwoofer use, although I went with that cheap PartsExpress Class D plate amp with DSP when they came out).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...DkP5gulAj3_APRywIcYc3sTv5ZcOXH7gaAtnoEALw_wcB

I am still tempted to go with a Behringer or Crown "solution", so it really is a legitimate question (since the subject happened to come up, sort of).

DSC_9780 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Please don't make fun of my woodworking skills vis-a-vis that lovingly crafted enclosure I built for the 'plate' amp. :rolleyes:

I will mention that the enclosure contains two separate DVC drivers, so a two-channel amp could be used to good effect. :)

DSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
DSC_8306 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Last edited:

hansik

I like the drivecore Crown amps, but here in Europe, the Behringer nx6000(D) is much cheaper and more powerful. I´m driving 2 x 4ohm 21" B&C subs on 1 amp. Excellent value.

Westsounds

Does that include the broadly similar (configurationally and nearly price-wise) Crown " XLS DriveCore" (now DriveCore 2) amplifiers?

https://www.crownaudio.com/en/product_families/xls-drivecore-2-series

This is honestly not meant as a snarky question, I am genuinely curious (i.e., I've considered both for subwoofer use, although I went with that cheap PartsExpress Class D plate amp with DSP when they came out).

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...DkP5gulAj3_APRywIcYc3sTv5ZcOXH7gaAtnoEALw_wcB

I am still tempted to go with a Behringer or Crown "solution", so it really is a legitimate question (since the subject happened to come up, sort of).

DSC_9780 (3) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Please don't make fun of my woodworking skills vis-a-vis that lovingly crafted enclosure I built for the 'plate' amp. :rolleyes:

I will mention that the enclosure contains two separate DVC drivers, so a two-channel amp could be used to good effect. :)

DSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
DSC_8306 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
There's so much to choose from for cheap power these days. Not that long ago these high power amps were the stuff of wealthy audiophiles only, now its easily attainable with class D. Most of the PA gear out there is up for the job and it's now small/lighter than ever.

Great subwoofer build by the way. But I don't think you need anything too exotic for that cabinet or driver, this A800 would be more than sufficient I'm sure. But I bet there's even cheaper to be found suitable for a sub.

hansik

What´s the price now of A800 in the US? In Europe about 190usd, can´t see anything cheaper :)

Westsounds

What´s the price now of A800 in the US? In Europe about 190usd, can´t see anything cheaper :)
I'm looking from the UK but yes the A800 is a good deal for watts per pound/dollar

I can get one delivered £144 from Thomann

But there are others on the site cheaper:-

£105

2x 400 Watt / 4 Ohm RMS, 2x 200 Watt / 8 Ohm RMS, 750 Watt /8 Ohm RMS

But it does have fans

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_km750.htm

£144

2x 800 Watt/4 Ohm RMS, 2x 500 Watt/8 Ohm RMS, 1700 Watt/8 Ohm RMS bridged

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_km1700.htm

But again it does have fans. But if you're having it that loud I don't think you'd hear any fans :) And it depends how loud the fans are I suppose :) As long as it's not like a drone taking off, it'll probably be ok.

hansik

I like the A800 especially because no fans (iNukes have very loud fans and need to be replaced by Noctua) and very silent, I´ll give me experience in 2 weeks when I have been able to comparing it to the Ncore.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I like the A800 especially because no fans (iNukes have very loud fans and need to be replaced by Noctua) and very silent, I´ll give me experience in 2 weeks when I have been able to comparing it to the Ncore.
I thought the iNukes had Class D power amplifiers?
Why the fan(s)?
I do realize that PWM amplifiers aren't 100% efficient, but, still... how much heat do they produce?

Westsounds

I thought the iNukes had Class D power amplifiers?
Why the fan(s)?
I do realize that PWM amplifiers aren't 100% efficient, but, still... how much heat do they produce?
I'd be interested to know that as well. I have a PA mixer at home with 1000W per channel output 4ohms which is class D and that has fans, or at least a fan as you can hear it when its switched on. To be fair though its not actually that loud its barely audible. I'm guessing the more power output things have something has got to give and somewhere along the line with this much power there is going to be some heat.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, it could be (or perhaps I should write or could it be) the high (maximum) power output of the amplifier, plus overly cramped design, plus inadequate heat sinking? I am speculating here, of course.
I will further speculate (!) that fans are cheaper than heat sinks... I don't really know.

Top Bottom