• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

EX511

Perfect amp to power my surround back speakers, 13 feet away, 85 dB and I listen near reference levels!

1612455203736.png

Nightyard

I've got three on these now. I'm considering either getting another 3 for my remaining channels or getting a three channel hypex amp nc252 or 502... Will I actually hear any difference if I went with a hypex Vs these behringers for my LCR? I'm using KEF CI 3160 speakers.

1roger

I think perhaps there was a guy who tested nc 252 and a800 both.. earlier in the thread(hansik?) if I remember correctly he stated the difference between them sonically were slight if any in his opinion. personally I would evaluate the a800 as powerful and detailed ..but a tiny bit cold/thin sounding with my own speakers(they sound like this with my ab amp as well, but perhaps slightly so). im impressed for the cost.
can hear a tiny bit of static noise with the volume at 12 ..from the pre-outs of a receiver. got myself two a800`s and will test different setups in the near future. for a few days I have hooked up the speakers in bridged. works well even though the speakers are most likely closer to 4 then 8 ohm and fairly hard to drive(ab amps get very hot). these amps however only get lukewarm even in bridged, playing loud or idle doesn`t matter. more or less always the same temp

Nightyard

Is the A800 any good for a high end home cinema system?

Ive got 6 of them powering my setup and it sounds great. I have them at 3/4 gain to minimise amp noise through the speakers. They are incredibly clean right up the volume limit of my processor. No audible distortion coming from my speakers.

Ive bought one of these to turn the amps on and off with my av processor plugged into the master
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142692654433

pras1011

Thanks. Just wondering if I should go for the a800 or the img stage line 1000d. Also the spec of a800 is 2 x 220w at 8 ohms but the review states is 142 watts. Is this correct?

Nightyard

Thanks. Just wondering if I should go for the a800 or the img stage line 1000d. Also the spec of a800 is 2 x 220w at 8 ohms but the review states is 142 watts. Is this correct?

Manufacturers ratings arent always reality. Just look at the mpg and performance figures for cars!

Id be interested in trying the STA 800D as it probably has a better SNR but these Behringer a800 appear to be just as good as the class G amps in my lexicon rv9 (arcam 850)

pras1011

I have the avr850 and I am thinking of switching to the av860 and then getting the a800 but I do prefer the amp channels to be in one box like the emovita class d amps.

Nightyard

I have the avr850 and I am thinking of switching to the av860 and then getting the a800 but I do prefer the amp channels to be in one box like the emovita class d amps.

You're in the same situation as me.

I have the 16 channel tonewinner at300 processor that im trying with the behringers and im considering buying the lexicon mc10 (av860) to use instead. I need to sell my rv9 either way.

I can get the mc10 brand new for £1500

stakarVN

I ordered mine today and can't wait to connect it and test drive. I've been reading this thread for answers but it's difficult to interpret stuff. So maybe better just ask my four questions ...

It's for listening to home cinema (occasional dynamics), and living in an appartment I don't play at constant enormous volume. But certain scenes will be loud !

(Stereo A800 means that the amp is used in non-bridged mode.)

Passive subwoofer is 3,3 Ohm (Phoenix Gold Xmax 12 V2, previously used in VW Polo lol ).
Center speaker is 8 Ohm (Monitor Audio GS LCR).

Scenario 1 : Bridged A800 with sub.
Scenario 2 : Stereo A800 with sub on input A, nothing on input B.
Scenario 3 : Stereo A800 with sub on input A, and with center on input B.

Four questions :

For Scenario 1
a. Not a good idea I guess at 3,3 Ohm, gives 1,65 Ohm per channel. So could get very hot very fast ?
b. Is this the 'loudest scenario' (compared to 2 and 3) if temps don't get wild (because I don't play constantly loud)? Or only slightly "louder"compared to 2 and 3 ?

For Scenario 2
c. Only one channel used. Less wattage available than in bridged mode (so less loud than 1 ?), and safer because lower temp. This is okay I guess ?

For Scenario 3
d. Both channels in use but I would be mixing impedances (3,3 Ohm on A and 8 Ohm on B), don't know if that is safe ?

Any help is appreciated :)

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Looks like Alesis RA300 only what parts are different?

nathan

This is an intriguing amp. Runs cool, more power and better power than what one has in an AVR....... but pricing seems to be all over the map. Does it really dip down to 200 USD on occasion or are posts to that effect really about unicorns and 280 is the price on the street for mortals?

ezra_s

Forum Donor
This is an intriguing amp. Runs cool, more power and better power than what one has in an AVR....... but pricing seems to be all over the map. Does it really dip down to 200 USD on occasion or are posts to that effect really about unicorns and 280 is the price on the street for mortals?

In europe is 199€ at www.thomann.de so I guess the price may vary with the value of the dollar. In any case, I can attest it is great value for the money

nathan

Thanks for that perspective. I'll keep my eyes open and see.

Nozza

To use this is a standard stereo setup, what sort of pre-amp would be best: active or would a passive one do?

Top Bottom