• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Behringer A800 Stereo Amplifier Review

rialler

Behringer is usually like that: 3 good - one bad. It happened frequently to me, same rate. But what you mean vertical ???

XD... I've bought behringer: 1 x UCA202, 1 x X PRO CX4300, 2 x A800... So yes... 3 good - 1 bad also for me

Vertical bi amp mean using one amp per channel: amp1 for left channel, amp2 for right channel. (channel A to bass/mids channel B to highs) instead of horizontal bi amp: One amplifier per driver type (amp1 for woofers L/R, amp2 for tweeters L/R)

Pulkass

X overed ? How? I have 6 amps - mono. 3 way. All x overed by lady DBX!

rialler

X overed ? How? I have 6 amps - mono. 3 way. All x overed by lady DBX!

Yes, Ive a 3 way speakers, (12inch woofer, 5,25 kevlar wide range and horn tweeter). I'm using active xover CX4300. Crossover points: 80Hz, 3,5kHz
- CROWN XLS 1052 driving 12inch drivers
- A800 vertical bi amp channel A for 5,25 woofer, channel B for horn tweeter

Pulkass

Ah ! The x over is the Behringer ! Very cheap, a copy cat of my DBX XL 234

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Subjective impression on the Behringer A800, after it for two months driving my entry-level Canton Karat 920 DC from the early nineties. With two comparisons at hand, one a not good at all Rotel RA921 integrated amp that I owned since I got it as a teen and a 1980s Philips power amp AH 380 rated at 125 watts into 4 ohms, but actually more powerfull; who's repective preamp AH 280 is also driving the Behringer at the moment with analogue RCA-in from a Focusrite 2i2/PC. All in all, not a setup for critical listening, but here is my experience anyway:

The Behringer A800 is very clear and offers plenty of detail, it can be a real joy. Compared to the Philips AH 380, which is not necessarily on the weak side and who's nicely lit VU-meters yet barely ever run higher than 2-3 watts in my living room, the Behringer has much more bass authority. The bass is not boomy or resonant [formerly I wrote 'bassy', which can be missunderstood], it has a dry and brutal presence when it is in the source but never when there is none. While with the Philips, which is neither colored, the low frequencies sometimes vanish into a less persuasive transient, when it is just not fast enough to provide the energy. This led to some complaints when I was comparing both, because I was looking for the bass response in the Philips while it was clearly there, my neighbour later told me. :D

There are at least two things which I cannot explain technically, because I am not an engineer and I do not have the proficiency, but which I can clearly notice and which as such can be taken as a fact from experience: The midrange (sorry, no exact frequencies band, must be between 500 and 2000 Hz) of the Behringer is kind of hollow, it has little body. You will find yourself adjusting tone control if you are as lucky as me and own an oldy preamp. But it is hard to fight, even with PEQ. One could assume it is the speakers and yes, they are German 80s recipies which means a recessed mid in order to care for excessive tweeter off-axis energy integration. But: The Philips has very sweet sounding mids on the same speakers, they are present, smooth, silky, sound great. The Behringer is thin and there is a bit of an abyss. I assume this could be a matter of certain-order harmonic distortions which sweeten and fill the Philips sound in a good way, while the Behringer does not have them. The other thing: The Behringer pics up a lot of noise from the Focusrite 2i2 which gets its power from a noisy USB port. If you have a better setup, this could be a non issue for you.

Would I buy the Behringer again? At this price point, if you have some free money to spend, try it, it has its qualities. But I myself will try anoter ClassD product next time and hope it is smoother and sweeter in the mids.

Last edited:

Pulkass

I do have one. Would love to buy another. Making two monos. Sound it s very good. Clear . Detailed. Fast. At 200 euros it s a steam. I have had also A 500. This is much better. A 500 compressed dynamics at a certain level, this A800 has more headroom, the A 500 : wanted to use it in mono for my sub woofer. A 18'' behringer...he he he another steal, but it hums very loud and pulsating noise (A500). I m not rich. I make do with cheap stuff, but good results.

1roger

Hi!!

Where you able to try vertical bi amp?

I'm just horizontal active bi amping with Crown XLS1502 for bass, A800 for midrange and old NAD 20 series for highs connected directly to power stage.

I'm considering buying another a800 for high frequency and also try vertical biamping for mid/high using XLS for bass. More or less like your setup.

My bests

did you make use of the rca or xlr inputs on the a800. what cable setup, splitter etc

1roger

There are at least two things which I cannot explain technically, because I am not an engineer and I do not have the proficiency, but which I can clearly notice and which as such can be taken as a fact from experience: The midrange (sorry, no exact frequencies band, must be between 500 and 2000 Hz) of the Behringer is kind of hollow, it has little body. You will find yourself adjusting tone control if you are as lucky as me and own an oldy preamp. But it is hard to fight, even with PEQ. One could assume it is the speakers and yes, they are German 80s recipies which means a recessed mid in order to care for excessive tweeter off-axis energy integration. But: The Philips has very sweet sounding mids on the same speakers, they are present, smooth, silky, sound great. The Behringer is thin and there is a bit of an abyss. I assume this could be a matter of certain-order harmonic distortions which sweeten and fill the Philips sound in a good way, while the Behringer does not have them.

Would I buy the Behringer again? At this price point, if you have some free money to spend, try it, it has its qualities. But I myself will try anoter ClassD product next time and hope it is smoother and sweeter in the mids.

may I ask if you have the a800 powered on continuously. several owners have reported there is a coldness/harshness in the sound listening with a freshly switched on amp. and according to them.. this is toned down if the amp is left on for days at a time

Pulkass

may I ask if you have the a800 powered on continuously. several owners have reported there is a coldness/harshness in the sound listening with a freshly switched on amp. and according to them.. this is toned down if the amp is left on for days at a time
Please do give me a song to test it. Thanjs

rialler

did you make use of the rca or xlr inputs on the a800. what cable setup, splitter etc

By now, XLR from xover to RCA A800.

I have to buy more XLR-XLR cables and try.. but sounds very good and I have to re-measure again when change to XLR connections. So maybe I left this setup for some weeks.

As you can see, bass is managed by CROWN xls 1502 and mid/highs with A800 in vertical setup

IMG_20210108_203129.jpg

Vini darko

Major Contributor

I have to buy more XLR-XLR cables and try.. but sounds very good and I have to re-measure again when change to XLR connections. So maybe I left this setup for some weeks.

As you can see, bass is managed by CROWN xls 1502 and mid/highs with A800 in vertical setup

View attachment 107414
Hows that berhinger crossover? Was looking at those the other day dreaming of going active three way.

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
several owners have reported there is a coldness/harshness in the sound listening with a freshly switched on amp. and according to them.. this is toned down if the amp is left on for days at a time
I could not observe this behavior with my sample. Because I disconnected the to my taste somewhat ugly front panel indicator lights, as at around 1 watt output I need for daily listening, I do not fear to even get close to clipping levels, I sometimes forget to shut the amp down. The next time I find it a day or two later it will be mildly warm, just as it is after being switched on for an hour or so. The general sound presentation does not change, though. The character of the mids is not altered.

Pulkass

View attachment 107414

*marvellous, that s the same concept I ve been using since I built my huge 2 modules 3 way loudspeakers, way back in 1999, a modular system like this, can help you in using many amps conbinations, which I have done indeed, 10 s of amps, tube amps, class d --class ab---with a big treated room, no neighbours, we are really in another planet with such riggin, I prefer to go all XLR cabled, my DBX electronic x over lowers the volume just not enough,- 12 DB-- so I need another device, like a pre amp to do the job, or controlling from the PC Tidal streams and the like.

Pulkass

*marvellous, that s the same concept I ve been using since I built my huge 2 modules 3 way loudspeakers, way back in 1999, a modular system like this, can help you in using many amps conbinations, which I have done indeed, 10 s of amps, tube amps, class d --class ab---with a big treated room, no neighbours, we are really in another planet with such riggin, I prefer to go all XLR cabled, my DBX electronic x over lowers the volume just not enough,- 12 DB-- so I need another device, like a pre amp to do the job, or controlling from the PC Tidal streams and the like.

I d like to buy the Crown for my sub woofer--so I would have two mono amps class d for my woofers, one stereo for mid range--one stereo for highs, so I need to cut the bass signal at 150 hz, in mono, can the Crwon do that ??? My elec. x over has not got control for a sub woofer.

rialler

I d like to buy the Crown for my sub woofer--so I would have two mono amps class d for my woofers, one stereo for mid range--one stereo for highs, so I need to cut the bass signal at 150 hz, in mono, can the Crwon do that ??? My elec. x over has not got control for a sub woofer.
Crowns XLS have built in xover

rialler

a significant improvement to your ears vs single amp(a800) setup?
Can't say as my previous setup was horizontal tri-amp: Crown for bass, yamaha for mids and nad for highs

I like the setup now better because now, instruments sounds more clear and better positioning. But I don't know if its because better conf/adjustment or better amps or really vertical setup sounds better than horizontal:

Here two good readings:

http://av2day.com/2014/05/bi-amping-vertical-vs-horizontal/

http://av2day.com/2014/05/vertical-bi-amping-vs-bridging/

IMG_20201230_172848.jpg

rialler

Yes! this concept/setup is super versatile and can sound very very good for the money. Take some time playing with xover points and gains but sounds amazing.

Don't know why not using before active systems... seems a taboo thing in HIFI

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes! this concept/setup is super versatile and can sound very very good for the money. Take some time playing with xover points and gains but sounds amazing.

Don't know why not using before active systems... seems a taboo thing in HIFI
There are just so many stupid things in HiFi, the antagonism against active systems is just one of them. Active systems have been around in HiFi since the 1970s, but the cabal of manufacturers and dealers, and the magazines that supported them all held out, as with active there were fewer upgrading opportunities, no fancy 'speaker cables, no stupid passive biamping, and a higher entry level price, so there was no encouragement for ordinary enthusiasts to go active.

S.

Top Bottom