• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner Midi Keyboard

mpscottfr

I am a total noob in terms of production and I have a large keyboard but I want a slightly smaller one... I wan't one that is good/cheap midi for the beginner but will last me a long time.. even if I get pretty good.

Any recommendations?

kongwee

Major Contributor
If your keyboard has a midi out, you could use that for a moment. Many audio interface has midi input. Connect to your DAW and play with it. Take time to learn from there.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I wan't one that is good/cheap midi for the beginner but will last me a long time

any begginer-anything is because you begin something and don't know if you will continue.
if you know you will use it for a long time buy the best you can afford.
but you should first know which kind of key action you need/want.

Longshan

I am a total noob in terms of production and I have a large keyboard but I want a slightly smaller one... I wan't one that is good/cheap midi for the beginner but will last me a long time.. even if I get pretty good.

Any recommendations?
I suggest a 49 or 61 key Arturia keylab. Inexpensive but good quality for the price, and access to some excellent free software.

Have fun.

Longshan

I actually have been looking for one too, but I need the full 88 keys and it should play like a piano. Don't need any features except MIDI and weighted keys.
You want the M-Audio Hammer 88 (not the pro version).

Best full-sized weighted keys keyboard for the $, in my opinion.

Jim Shaw

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Any recommendations?
Go cheap, because your use case will change quickly over time as you progress. Beginner keyboards can be very cheap.
Important first questions: Don't answer for us, but for you.

1. Do you just want MIDI, or do you want built-in instruments and MIDI? Do you want built-in speaker(s)?
2. How many octaves of keys do you want, ideally? What is your use case?
3. Would you prefer MIDI standard output/chaining, or perhaps USB? (It depends on what you want to connect to.)
4. Do you need 'piano' touch (like a real piano) or do you want 'synthesizer' touch (no resistance and maybe force information to the MIDI?)

You can readily peruse catalogs of keyboards at a number of sites. Sweetwater, Musician's Friend, etc. Expect to find more questions than answers as you search. That means you're learning. If you're in the US/Canada, Sweetwater has some experienced sales guys on the phone who can talk you through much of this -- and they aren't pushy. They may send you to someone else who can speak to your level.

Last edited:

Alexium

I've heard Roland A-49 has the best key feeling in its class and price range. But that was a number of years ago.

Top Bottom