• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner-Advice for new build: KEF LS50 & Rythmic L12 Subwoofer

belu

Hello,

I am upgrading to a new system and after much digging and researching, I have come up with a plan and would like some advises on my setup and controls. I would like to simplify the setup if possible, and please let me know if I am missing crucial components or I am doing things that aren’t recommended. My use case will be 70% music 30% movies. I am planning to turn on/off equipment with a standard power bar with surge protection and a remote-control electrical outlet. See diagram below.
Below is a list of current equipment I own, purchased used and planning to buy.

Planning to buy:
DAC – Schitt Modius
PowerAmp – Schiit Vidar
DSP – miniDSP 2x4 HD
Cables and wiring – Blue Jean speaker cables

Purchased used and on their way:
Speakers- KEF LS50s
Subwoofer - 1x Rythmik L12
Pre-amp – Schiit Saga

Already Own:
Chromecast Audio, Fibre splitter 2 in 1 out, TV, Nvidia Shield

Operation:
1) Chromecast audio-> DAC-> pre-amp->miniDSP->power amplifier & subwoofer
2) PC (plex) -> Nvidia shield -> TV -> DAC-> pre-amp->miniDSP->power amplifier & subwoofer
3) PC (plex) -> Nvidia shield - USB to DAC not sure if this is possible

Questions
Q1) Are the wiring done correctly, especially from DSP to subwoofer?

Q2) Would using the remote-control outlet damage equipment such as DAC and power amps?

Q3) If I take out the pre-amp and DAC out of the system and use the miniDSP DAC, how is the volume control via Shield->TV-> miniDSP DAC?

Q4) I’m currently using the fibre splitter to switch between Chromecast Audio and Shield seamlessly by connecting & disconnecting from Android phone. Are there better solutions that would improve the sound quality noticeably? I’d imagine the optical signal is digital so there should be no losses from the $10 dollar splitter.

Q5) Is It possible to add a third LS50 as a centre speaker to this setup? All the outputs of miniDSP are occupied, or could I split output 4 to two subwoofers simultaneously (given the subs operate in the same settings)

Q6) Any tips on making operation 3 to work? This way the TV could be left off

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• Full Setup.pdf
    175.6 KB · Views: 169
  • NoPreAmp Setup.pdf
    124.9 KB · Views: 150
Top Bottom