• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner-advice: Buying DAC/Amp for planar magnetic headphone

Veri

Master Contributor
I did not like the timbre/sound of the Ananda 100 % so I returned it. o_O
Looking for the Arya now.

Umm. The Arya is really similar to Ananda. It has a better driver, said to be more resolving and more bright. But it's not that far from Ananda's sound.... I auditioned both and went home with Ananda, sounds almost as good at lower price and easier to drive. But just saying, it's not going to sound drastically different.

OP
N

nj75f

Really? The rewiews I read said the arya plays a bit more laid-back, bit less harsh in the timbre and got better bass.
No I'm confused :D

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Really? The rewiews I read said the arya plays a bit more laid-back, bit less harsh in the timbre and got better bass.
No I'm confused :D

Maybe it's time to try something other than planars. Are there any places near you that have headphones you can demo?

OP
N

nj75f

Yes, I also listened to many of them.
I still like the sound of the Ananda a lot, just not 100 % as I expected it to be. If the Arya is as the reviews said, it would very much fit my taste 100 %.
Or so I gues :facepalm:

Veri

Master Contributor
I still like the sound of the Ananda a lot, just not 100 % as I expected it to be. If the Arya is as the reviews said, it would very much fit my taste 100 %.
Ideal would be to audition in a hi-fi store!

pogballistics

How di

How did it go with the Arya?

debullet

Happy Holidays :=)

Thanks for the forum, all the reviews and comments ;)
I've read some of them (even the beginner's guide) but some things I do not understand and for some, the more I read, the more confused.
So I simply ask for an explanation- and buying advice.

Current setup for stationary desktop use:
- headphone Hifiman Sundara (Frequency Response : 6Hz-75kHz, Impedance : 37Ω, Sensitivity : 94dB)
- internal soundcard asus xonar essence st asus xonar st specifications

The sound card has 3 software-gain settings: Normal (< 64 ohm)s, High (64 - 300 ohms), Extra (300 - 600 ohms)
Windows slider 30 - 40 % on normal is enough for me to be loud (I've still good ears), with the other two it's 10 - 20 %.
I really like that the sound card has internal asio drivers; possible to get a DAC with something like that too?

My budget limit would be 250 € for both dac and amp.
I though about buying the usual recommendations I read here about, but I'm not sure:
- The hifiman sundara can even be used with a smartphone - do I even need an amplifier?
- If I need both: Spend more money on the DAC or the Amp?
- In this review I'm confused about the statement "output impedance 5,9 ohms); is that of any concern or only for dynamic driver headphones?
review aune x1s
The new Aune X1S 2020 version is said to even have 10 ohms!
The same goes for the Topping DX3 version 2, ~ 10 ohms.

I'm really not sure what to buy. Please explain the questions and buying recommendations would be nice too ;)
I plan to use the new setup for years to come and will not go back to dynamic driver headphones.
If the recommendation is really really good, it might be even just a bit more pricey.

Thanks in advance.
Wait, you can drive your Sundaras properly on a smartphone?! WHAAAAAA?!? Which smartphone do you have?

So I bought a Deva recently and I just can't seem to power it via a smartphone, like I hear sound sure but it's not loud at all, sound stage feels very small and restricted on wired to my iphone or a Pixel 4. So the Deva come with a bluetooth DAC/AMP which is ridiculously insane!! Like I can't stress this enough! They are so good! But their battery life is appalling so I'm looking at an alternative be it bluetooth(like the Fiio BTR3 or 5) or a portable dac/amp(like Tempotec Sonata Pro). The BTR3 on wired couldn't power them again, didn't try the bluetooth. Anyways the point is, if the Bluemini- the adaptor dac/amp can power the Deva (93db/mw @16ohm) so well am sure there should be something that can power it as well if not better. So am curious what smartphones can power the Sundaras well and please let me know if you have any suggestions to drive low impedance planars!! Thanks

Top Bottom