• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner-Advice: Buying Amp/DAC for KEF LS 50 + SVS SB-12 NSD

al2813

I am exactly in the same place. I want to get the LS50 (currently going vey cheap at 666 Euros ordering from Germany) and the audiophonics nc252mp amp (469 euros). The nc500 amps get not so good critics and the nc400 amp is much more expensive. The XTZ edge gets glowing reviews and costs the same, so cannot make my mind right now....
anyone was able to compare both? It’s impossible to listen upfront and returning policy in Europe is not as generous as in the US...

zjx1017

I am exactly in the same place. I want to get the LS50 (currently going vey cheap at 666 Euros ordering from Germany) and the audiophonics nc252mp amp (469 euros). The nc500 amps get not so good critics and the nc400 amp is much more expensive. The XTZ edge gets glowing reviews and costs the same, so cannot make my mind right now....
anyone was able to compare both? It’s impossible to listen upfront and returning policy in Europe is not as generous as in the US...
well I think you could be able to listen and compare both within 30 days or at least 14 days under returning policy.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't know how much you're willing to spend, but I'm in the process of building a Purifi Eval1 to pair with my LS 50s. I'm sure it will be more than equal to the task. The Topping DX 3 pro sounds like a good recommendation to me as well.

Looks like I have the exact combo you are aiming for - Kef LS50, topping dx3 pro DAC/Preamp, XTC Edge A2-300 power amp.

I feed it from a RasPi using an allo signature hat & also have a minidsp HD so I can smoothly integrate a BK subwoofer.

It's beeen a long journey getting to this, having had many cheaper amps (class AB / class D), and only just got the subwoofer integrated properly with the minidsp.

The sound is absolutely spectacular now, I'm so pleased I have stopped looking at alternatives (after 2 years of twiddling). I would say that the sub is required on the little Kef's, and to make it not sound overdone / muddy, you do also need something like a minidsp HD so that you can integrate it with an active crossover.

I send everything over 80Hz to the Kefs, anything below to the sub.

Having tried a few different amps to get the Kefs to sound amazing (which I knew they could be) - my thoughts below:

Allo Volt +d (60W per channel at 4 ohms). Too anemic, not enough bass, distorted at reasonable listening volumes.
Topping PA3 (80W per channel at 4 ohms). Felt stronger, but again distortion at or around normal listening levels.
SMSL A8 (icepwer 125 based - 125W per channel at 4 ohms). Almost good - but still felt that the sound was just 'good' not incredible.
IOTAVX SA3/PA3 combo (class AB - about 180W per channel at 4 ohm). Sounded warmer than class D, but out of control boosted treble & woolly bass. Not as good as the ice125W IMHO. Very dissapointed.
XTC Edge A2-300 (icepower 300 based - 300W per channel at 4 ohms). Incredible sound, very smooth but detailed, bass was superb but clearly had reached the limit of what the LS50 could produce & pushed me to integrate the sub.

Now incredible - do not see how any system could be better in a medium size room below maybe £20k spend.

I would definiely now say that the Kef ls50 really needs a strong amp to sound at it's best. It's decent with less capable kit, but once you hear it in the sweet spot, it's a completely different animal.

There was a big difference between the ice125 & the ice300 - and it's the first time I think I have reached the capability limit of the kef. So annoyed I did not go with better kit earlier.

So yeh - XTC edge a2-300 + topping dx3 pro looks like about £700 & would be a superb combo for the ls50. If you find the bass 'not quite enough' then another £750 would get you a decent BK subwoofer + the mini DSP HD.

Not super cheap, but I reckon you would need to spend hugely more to get much better sound in a reasonably sized room.

I'm rambling now, but even on medium volumes you can have 'Oh My God' moments listening to the right tracks. That right there is all I need to stop checking reviews of new kit!

Last edited:
Top Bottom