• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beginner Active Monitor Recommendation

cpmiller22

Hi all,

I’m working on getting a very simple home studio setup and need some advice. I am a guitar player, have a focusrite 2i2, a mic and a couple guitars. I have been using logic as my DAW. Until now I’ve just been using headphones, but would like to get an entry level pair of studio monitors. I was looking Kali LP6, as well as JBL’s and Adam’s. I’d like to get decent quality without spending too much since I’m really just an amateur/hobbyist. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

thanks!

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL fanboi, here.

Love my 708p.
The 305p or 308p should serve, on a budget.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Multiple models of Kali, JBL, and Adam, as well as KRK, Genelec, Neumann, and other monitor brands have been reviewed on this site. Use the search function on the top right, and you will find tons of info and hundreds of opinions.

OP
C

cpmiller22

Multiple models of Kali, JBL, and Adam, as well as KRK, Genelec, Neumann, and other monitor brands have been reviewed on this site. Use the search function on the top right, and you will find tons of info and hundreds of opinions.

Thanks!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm also a long time JBL fan but I haven't heard any of the modern monitors. And to me, 8-inches the minimum for a woofer. There are a handful of popular monitors (not just JBL) with 8-inch woofers in the range of $400 - $600 USD per pair.

twsecrest

Hi all,
I’m working on getting a very simple home studio setup and need some advice. I am a guitar player, have a Focusrite 2i2, a mic and a couple guitars. I have been using logic as my DAW. Until now I’ve just been using headphones, but would like to get an entry level pair of studio monitors. I was looking Kali LP6, as well as JBL’s and Adam’s. I’d like to get decent quality without spending too much since I’m really just an amateur/hobbyist. Would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.
thanks!
Monoprice is about the best bang for the buck 2.1 studio monitor setup.
https://www.monoprice.com/category/...sound-&-accessories/studio-reference-monitors

OP
C

cpmiller22

+ Listening distance? Levels? Level of acoustic treatment? Allergic to hiss?

Since I’m a beginner, I was thinking around $300. Might be able to go a little higher, but don’t want to spend my money on quality I’ll never notice :)

I have a 10x10 office with no acoustic treatment, and will likely only be a few feet away while listening to the monitors at a reasonable level so my family doesn’t complain.

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
I'm assuming that $300 is for the pair? In that price range you are limited, but the JBL 306P's can be found for about that price and is probably the best bang for the buck.

Other contenders are JBL 305P, Kali LP-6, Adam T5V, and the iLoud micros.

Promit

I have been playing my Fractal through Adam T7Vs for a few years now and I absolutely love it.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Since I’m a beginner, I was thinking around $300. Might be able to go a little higher, but don’t want to spend my money on quality I’ll never notice :)
Unfortunately (for your budget), speakers are not like DACs in this regard. We are talking about some of the least expensive monitors that can still be called actually good, and of course they're full of compromises in this range. All the ones mentioned would fundamentally be a decent buy, and I'll throw in the Mackie MR524s as well (mostly as a low hiss option - directivity is decent, level handling nothing too special I think). Kalis and JBLs tend to be on the hissier side but otherwise good - if that doesn't disturb you, all the better, but you may have to find out for yourself. Think of getting some (desk) stands and audio cables (1/4" TRS to XLR recommended, 2 pcs.).

OP
C

cpmiller22

Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up going with the JBL 305P’s and am very happy with the sound. I was also able to find them on sale (if you get the white ones) and got the pair for just over $200. I also had a chance to listen and compare the LP6, 305P, and KRK Rockit 5. Once again, I’m a total amateur compared to most of y’all here, but I was a bit disappointed with the sound of the LP6’s. They just seemed a bit flat to my untrained ears compared to the others.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Thanks for all the great advice. I ended up going with the JBL 305P’s and am very happy with the sound. I was also able to find them on sale (if you get the white ones) and got the pair for just over $200. I also had a chance to listen and compare the LP6, 305P, and KRK Rockit 5. Once again, I’m a total amateur compared to most of y’all here, but I was a bit disappointed with the sound of the LP6’s. They just seemed a bit flat to my untrained ears compared to the others.

Thanks again for all the great advice!

Hey, congrats! Glad you like them.

Some complain about the 'hiss' of the 305's. I've never heard them and am curious how you find the 'hiss' level of yours?

OP
C

cpmiller22

Hey, congrats! Glad you like them.

Some complain about the 'hiss' of the 305's. I've never heard them and am curious how you find the 'hiss' level of yours?

I really don’t notice much hiss, just great sound.

twsecrest

It looks like the Focusrite 2i2 1/4 line-output jacks will work with a balanced cable (per the manual).

Top Bottom