• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Before I buy the Revel C208..what about the Paradigm CC-690?

GabrielPhoto

Hi all.
So I have tested many center speakers and was about to pull the trigger on the one I liked best so far, the Revel c208.
I was going to try a few more but after further analysis the following ones were removed from my list:
Silverscreen HD
HDI-4500
JBL 880
8600ec (was the most intriguing of these bunch plus the big size would look nice below my 140" wide scope screen but it seems not to be THAT good)

Still there was one that recently came to my attention and that will be cheaper than the c208 but I can't find any info here about it's horizontal dispersion, response and "imaging".
Anyone has one and can offer some feedback?

PS please let's keep on the topic..no suggestions of identiql LCR, at screens etc. A center like this is the best option for my needs. Also the c426be is not an option at this time.
Thanks

Bren Derlin

I just bought the Revel C205 to replace an old Polk LSiC. If I had the budget for the C208, even on sale, I would pulled the trigger there. I'm positive the C208 will sound better than the C205, and pretty dang sure you'll be happy. But $770 for the C205 (which ended up being less expensive than C25) made it a no brainer/gamble. If I didn't like it, I could send it back and upgrade to the C208.

...The C205 is not going back.

I have my C205 paired with the Revel M16, and it sounds fabulous. The worst thing about the Polk was the mushy dialogue and lack of clarity, and the C205 cleared that up straight away. It's not a small sounding speaker by any stretch, which always worries me about the center speaker.

I've never head the CC-690, so can't comment. But I'm positive if you bought the C208, you'll be good to go. If you get it through Crutchfield, there's a 60 in-home trial period, so there's plenty of time to listen to the speaker to decide if you want it not. Best of all, the C208 is on sale for $1,540 USD. Hard to not want to jump on it while it lasts.

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

I'm considering ordering a pair of F206's or F208's with a C208 center in December when the Harman employee pricing deals are at 70% off.

Don't ask.
I recall the"glitch" for JBL speakers but not revel

OP
G

GabrielPhoto

Friends and family of Harman employees and other industry insiders routinely access the Christmas pricing/discounts. Not talking about a glitch.
Good for you. I wish I had a friend or family with Harmon.
Don't ask.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just bought the Revel C205 to replace an old Polk LSiC. If I had the budget for the C208, even on sale, I would pulled the trigger there. I'm positive the C208 will sound better than the C205, and pretty dang sure you'll be happy. But $770 for the C205 (which ended up being less expensive than C25) made it a no brainer/gamble. If I didn't like it, I could send it back and upgrade to the C208.

...The C205 is not going back.

I have my C205 paired with the Revel M16, and it sounds fabulous. The worst thing about the Polk was the mushy dialogue and lack of clarity, and the C205 cleared that up straight away. It's not a small sounding speaker by any stretch, which always worries me about the center speaker.

I've never head the CC-690, so can't comment. But I'm positive if you bought the C208, you'll be good to go. If you get it through Crutchfield, there's a 60 in-home trial period, so there's plenty of time to listen to the speaker to decide if you want it not. Best of all, the C208 is on sale for $1,540 USD. Hard to not want to jump on it while it lasts.
I just bought a demo model C205 for $597 delivered to replace a C25. Fingers crossed, but since I have M106s, I think it makes sense to swap in the Performa3 center.

Top Bottom