• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just the average on the side of the road grocer. Nothing fancy. Mainstream Canadian beer is very different than the ones I listed. It is stronger in both flavour and alcohol content. Yeah, I had some craft beer when I was in California for a couple of weeks. Everybody in San Fran was slurping the stuff so I joined in and bought the same stuff.

Yeah the roadside market isn't the best way to buy but the cheapest swill.... :)

But some examples of decent Canadian beers are?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah the roadside market isn't the best way to buy but the cheapest swill.... :)

But some examples of decent Canadian beers are?
The Okanagan Springs Old English Porter is delicious and has a high alcohol content of 8.5% too.
OK Springs.jpg

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, and we Canadians consider USA beer to be weak and pisswater :p
It probably seemed that way to the uninitiated... about 20 years ago.

Since then there's no excuse. It would be like suggesting Labatt and the dreadful Moosehead typify Canadian beer but pretending Unibroue doesn't exist.

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Wowow. I had never heard of Unibroue before. The website has 33 beers listed and they all look exotic. :D
Oh man you have a lot of fun ahead of you! Love their stuff. Let us know what you think. Cheers!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wowow. I had never heard of Unibroue before. The website has 33 beers listed and they all look exotic. :D
Big contract brewery as well IIRC. Or maybe only contract? Been a while. We can get some of those fairly regularly, never seen Okanagan down here nor did I see it except maybe when I was in that area in Canada altho that's been 20 years now....

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Big contract brewery as well IIRC. Or maybe only contract? Been a while. We can get some of those fairly regularly, never seen Okanagan down here nor did I see it except maybe when I was in that area in Canada altho that's been 20 years now....
Yes, Okanagan Springs is a small brewery that was bought by Sleeman and whoever owns that. It might not have made it across Canada. I will be searching for that Unibroue beer for sure.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My pet hate is "drinkable" or "session" beers that are, to my humble tastebuds, the breweries default full strength offer watered down to 4 ish percent. Not sure if this is a trend in the States as well as UK?
One of my real loves is a proper session ale that is full of flavour, there is a real joy in drinking beer quick that strong beers kill. But you are right that far too much of the craft stuff is thin and watery at lower abv, not true for very many cask ales though.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
One of my real loves is a proper session ale that is full of flavour, there is a real joy in drinking beer quick that strong beers kill. But you are right that far too much of the craft stuff is thin and watery at lower abv, not true for very many cask ales though.

Agree on all counts.

GDK

Forum Donor
This thread just reminded me that I needed to restock the fridge (with Amsterdam 3 Speed) for enjoying later...:)

orangejello

If you like Warsteiner you should try Bitburger. Similar, but better :)
Agreed. Drinking it now. Bitburger is tasty. MUCH prefer it to Warsteiner. A good Pils is not so easy to find In the US in my experience. They have had Bitburger 12 packs on sale (for about a month now). I have stocked up several times. But keep running out. If you like a clean, but not very complex, Pils from the US, try Trummer Pils out of Berkeley CA. Not as good as a most decent Germán Pils but nice and clean.

NoDad

Agreed. Drinking it now. Bitburger is tasty. MUCH prefer it to Warsteiner. A good Pils is not so easy to find In the US in my experience. They have had Bitburger 12 packs on sale (for about a month now). I have stocked up several times. But keep running out. If you like a clean, but not very complex, Pils from the US, try Trummer Pils out of Berkeley CA. Not as good as a most decent Germán Pils but nice and clean.

Here in our neck of the woods (N. California), Trader Joe's sells Bitburger cans in 4-packs for $5. Less expensive than local brews, even though it's shipped form the other side of the world.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my favourite would be a belgian bar with 1000+ beer sorts. your eyes can also drown in beer :)

Top Bottom