• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
That looks delicious!
Slight hint of roasty malt, not overpowering. Matrixes well with mild hop character... so, well balanced and doesn't get that weird extra-bitter or astringency that can come from too much of either. ;)

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20221017_204032.jpg

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What are they calling Autumn Ale... Pumpkin? Dunkel?
Well it's an ale and I believe dunkel is a lager so it isn't quite exactly that, but it's a pretty close comp. Amber ale is probably the closest description but the nose does suggest the mild inclusion of an adjunct like pumpkin.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Well it's an ale and I believe dunkel is a lager so it isn't quite exactly that, but it's a pretty close comp. Amber ale is probably the closest description but the nose does suggest the mild inclusion of an adjunct like pumpkin.
Correct... Dunkels are München's traditional dark lager. I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek by referencing a generic Oktoberfest theme. Of course... many of their beer styles are lagers. ;)

Last I checked there is no actual Autumn Beer Style. :p Darker Ales tend to run the scene... with Pumpkin or pumpkin spice or the like.... So tiring. At least yours looks to be well crafted with good clarity and some head retention!

I'm knocking back a Ninkasi Total Dom.

Sláinte!

GD Fan

Forum Donor
Sláinte!
Slainte to you, my friend. You have correctly surmised my surname begins with an O followed by an apostrophe! (The standard formula seems to be O'Something preceded by the names of your parents' two favorite saints. That formula applies here.)

"Autumn ale" is no doubt a made up term the Yanks use to describe something they've dreamt up that crosses styles. Often that's creative and effective. We live in a golden age of good beer.

Peterinvan

Curious…..
I normally have a reaction to beer (maybe the yeast?) such that my skin breaks out the day after a couple of largers or ale.

On a recent visit to Ireland, I was drinking Guiness and had no reaction at all. I tried a Smithicks (?) and I flared up again.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Curious…..
I normally have a reaction to beer (maybe the yeast?) such that my skin breaks out the day after a couple of largers or ale.

On a recent visit to Ireland, I was drinking Guiness and had no reaction at all. I tried a Smithicks (?) and I flared up again.
I would expect it is either that or hops… though I haven’t really heard of such an allergy. Would love to hear if you ever figure it out!

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Those classic ones are good, better than the beer.
Sacrilege though unless you have Guinness served correctly in one of the many amazing pubs around Dublin, I can understand being slightly disappointed, it just doesn't taste the same outside Ireland. I am from Ireland in case that was in doubt ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sacrilege though unless you have Guinness served correctly in one of the many amazing pubs around Dublin, I can understand being slightly disappointed, it just doesn't taste the same outside Ireland. I am from Ireland in case that was in doubt ;)
Some pubs here in Canada have Guinness on tap I believe versus the others that open a can and pour it. Maybe we are missing something but it's pretty delicious here too. :D

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Those classic ones are good, better than the beer.
But there are times when a proper pint of the dark stuff is just what's needed. ;)
Don't get me wrong, it's not always... and definitely not everywhere... but there are times...

Like after tripping acid on Ocean Beach and hiking halfway back across The City to Grateful Dead Night at Nickies on the Haight!
:oops:
Not that I've done that before...
;)
Or at least in the last 20 years.
:p

:cool:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_0299.jpeg

Local Cleveland Brewery that does a good Hefe!!

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Some pubs here in Canada have Guinness on tap I believe versus the others that open a can and pour it. Maybe we are missing something but it's pretty delicious here too. :D
Good I am glad, yes it has to be from a tap (though Guiness are trying to innovate with some 'machines' that try to get a 'perfect' pint from special cans (not the take away can's though).

Many times I have had many a nice pint of Guinness on my travels (including in Canada) but IMO there is consistency in certain pubs in Ireland. I hope you get a chance to try some in Ireland in the future.

mansr

Major Contributor
My local serves a decent Guinness according to visiting Irishmen.

Top Bottom