• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beer thread, what you drinkin..

captainbeefheart

Becks

My beer must adhere to German Purity Law, only 4 ingredients; Water, Barley, Hops, and yeast. That's all beer should be.

d3adf1sh

El Guapo from O'Connor Brewing Norfolk, VA .. Agave IPA 7.5% my daily driver and their flagship. award winner.

This is from a local brewery where i'm from and is on tap at quite a few bars around the area and in EVERY supermarket. If you ever come across it make sure you do it justice and enjoy it from a glass.
el guapo.jpg

captainbeefheart

20 years ago I was into the IPA and DIPA types but there were so few out there we ended up brewing our own. Fast forward to now and everyone makes an IPA and it's totally en vogue. Bach then I remember when people would try an IPA they would say "gross, tastes like I'm drinking grass" because of all the hops. Back then I really didn't like any cold fermenting types like Lagers. After I got sick of IPA and hops in general I came to find why the crystal clear German Lager became so popular, it's cold, crisp and refreshing. I also started to really appreciate the brewing process of these types of beers. Four simple ingredients, high quality water, malt, hops and yeast, that's it, trying to get it nice and clear with the right head on a pour became the goal. I would have never guessed IPA's would be as popular as they are today or I would have started a brewery lol.

In my old age give me a nice Lager on a hot summer day and I'm a happy camper, forget all this trendy BS selling for $20 a 4 pack.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I’ll give you this… I’ll take a well crafted lager almost any day over an IPA. While I enjoy a good IPA, I don’t need this pallet wrecking approach to IBU gimmicks. Almost the same as the imperial stouts everyone was brewing several years back with so much patent malt as to just taste like “burnt.”
I was in LA probably 7-8 years ago now and I kept seeing Craftsman Pre-Prohibition Lager on tap, so I decided why not…
Damn near changed my life.
;)

captainbeefheart

I’ll give you this… I’ll take a well crafted lager almost any day over an IPA. While I enjoy a good IPA, I don’t need this pallet wrecking approach to IBU gimmicks. Almost the same as the imperial stouts everyone was brewing several years back with so much patent malt as to just taste like “burnt.”
I was in LA probably 7-8 years ago now and I kept seeing Craftsman Pre-Prohibition Lager on tap, so I decided why not…
Damn near changed my life.
;)

Very good point about the high IBU in IPA's wrecking the pallet, I want to taste my dinner while enjoying a beverage with it. The modern rice filled Lagers are mediocre but a high quality Lager is as you say life changing:)

d3adf1sh

i mean, i hear ya. i also like Sam Adams regular Boston Lager or another local one that's pretty big around the area is Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager, which is also killer. all depends on the mood i'm in but i just always end up coming back to my El Guapo, it's not one of those hop bomb ipa's, there's just something about it, i guess with the agave, that just gives it a unique flavor that i've just never tasted anywhere else. If it was super sweet or too hoppy, i wouldn't be able to drink as much of it as I do.

actually a friend of mine moved back to Cali and ended up getting me to mail him some a while back. i got him hooked on it and he was a corona guy of all things before that. (not that they're anything alike)

captainbeefheart

Nothing other than preference. I want a nice balanced Lager without the crap fillers like rice. To me, the right water, hops, malt and yeast create a beer that to me is refreshing, easy to drink and pairs well with food.

I can stomach maybe 1 IPA but anything after that is just gross now to me. I believe my taste buds just happened to change into old guy taste buds because like I said 20 years ago I couldn't get enough hops and I could easily sit down and throw back a few IPA's and enjoy them. It was also fun to order different exotic hops and try and balance them into a nice flavor. We probably used Cascade the most but we ran the gamut on every hop available.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Nothing other than preference. I want a nice balanced Lager without the crap fillers like rice. To me, the right water, hops, malt and yeast create a beer that to me is refreshing, easy to drink and pairs well with food.

I can stomach maybe 1 IPA but anything after that is just gross now to me. I believe my taste buds just happened to change into old guy taste buds because like I said 20 years ago I couldn't get enough hops and I could easily sit down and throw back a few IPA's and enjoy them. It was also fun to order different exotic hops and try and balance them into a nice flavor. We probably used Cascade the most but we ran the gamut on every hop available.
What about Rogenbier? :p

I don't mind some creative use of Adjunct grains, hop oils, or additional sugars to lend a flavor quality. However, it has to be done well. We have one local brewer that does a Mexican Style Lager with Corn. Another that does a Jasmine Rice Lager. Yet another used Brown Sugar to create what was a signature holiday release from them. All were quite good and quaffable.

On the other hand, there are far too many breweries who rely on... I don't know what... and produce and sell (all too successfully) complete and utter cr@p.

*shrugs

What's a beer lover to do?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
cellar-honey-orange-tripel-desktop.png

Later tonight I'll be having one of these "non-beers/non-ales" (does not meet the German purity standard) and after that I'll enjoy one of these:
2018_Porter_Featured.jpg

I'm chilling them now.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
A&W Root Beer and a few hits of God's very own custom designed intoxicant.
He knew so much better than man.
No hangovers
No puking in the toilet from over-indulgence.
Much healthier for long term use
Much safer for the operation for the motor vehicles after use. Not risk free for sure, but not as near as dangerous as booze.
Tastes very good when mixed with Ice Cream !!! ;)
0007800005242_1_A1C1_1200.png

captainbeefheart

A&W Root Beer and a few hits of God's very own custom designed intoxicant.

I'm more a 420 guy than alcohol also. I do enjoy 1 beer or in the winter a glass of red wine but that's really all, being "drunk" just isn't fun and it makes you feel like crap the next day. Yes when I was young and the body could handle those long nights and still get up for work and function well it was a lot funner but now if I over indulge it's just not worth it. I'd much rather 420 and sip one beer while cooking dinner, enjoying good food is where I'm at now and the 420 enhances the experience plus help with aches and pains. The booze actually causes inflammation issues and makes chronic pain issues worse, no fun.

Root beer is great!! I love the complexity of it and lately have switched to drinking a birch beer or sarsaparilla. We ordered take out last night and I went with a Moxie, most people outside of New England have never had a Moxie which I find to be amazingly complex with flavors. It just hits every part of the tongue for a truly unique beverage experience. If you can find some give it a try, it also goes good with ice cream.

raindance

Major Contributor
Currently enjoying this:

Attachments

• 20220501_171939.jpg
    20220501_171939.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 37

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Have been to some fantastic pubs recently. Anyone who's in Singapore/travelling here and wants some great pints, I'll hook you up.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just had a Stone Ruin Ten last night. Their ten year anniversary of Ruination. Triple IPA. Very big malty hoppy west coast style IPA10.8% . Good stuff.

Top Bottom