• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beelink GS-King X - TV, NAS and DAC?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an interesting bit of kit. It claims to offer Android TV, NAS and Balanced DAC functionality in one box for a very low price...

https://www.cnx-software.com/2020/06/08/buy-beelink-gs-king-x-android-tv-box-and-dual-hdd-nas/
  • SoC – Amlogic S922X-H hexa-core big.LITTLE processor with 4x Arm Cortex A73 cores @ up to 2.2 GHz, 2x Arm Cortex A53 cores @ 1.8 GHz, Arm Mali-G52MP4 GPU @ 846MHz; 12nm process
  • System Memory – 4GB LPDDR4 RAM
  • Storage – 64GB eMMC flash, microSD card slot, 2x 3.5″ SATA HDD drive bay for up to 32TB storage in total
  • Video Output – HDMI 2.1 up to 4K @ 60 Hz with HDCP 2.2
  • Video – AVE-10 engine with 4K UHD H.265/VP9/AVS2 video decoding up to 60 fps, Dolby Vision, Advanced HDR10, HDR10+, HLG, and PRIME HDR high-dynamic range support
  • Audio
    • 2x ESS9018 audio DACs, 4x Ricor RT6862 audio amplifiers
    • 3.5mm headphone jack
    • Stereo audio via RCA jacks and 6.35mm balanced output jacks
    • Digital audio via HDMI
    • Stereo analog audio via 3.5mm AV jack
    • Optical S/PDIF
    • DTS Listen + Dolby Audio
  • Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet, dual-band 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2×2 MIMO WiFi 5, Bluetooth 4.1
  • USB – 3x USB 3.0 ports, 1x USB 2.0 OTG port (Type-A Blue)
  • Misc – Power button; the Skull eyes are LEDs that change color from Green to Blue depending on status.
  • Power Supply – 19V DC / 3A power barrel jack
  • Dimensions – 16.5 x 11.8 x 10.6 cm
  • Weight – 1.073 kg

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I'm more interested in its dual boot CoreELEC option, and how much of the hardware works with open drivers (vital for long term support) but i agree it's an interesting bit of kit.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed that Beelink are a sponsor of CoreElec, which I assume is somewhat similar to OpenElec (but dedicated to the Amlogic CPU).

I've haven't played around much with the generic Android/Kodi boxes as I have a couple of 1st gen Nvidia Shield TVs which still work great (Purchased in December 2015 and still receiving OS updates from Nvidia).

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Nvidia have been good at both long term support and upstreaming at least some level of driver support for Tegra chips in the last few years. This is a surprise given their resistance to open drivers for their desktop graphics, but is certainly welcome. Your Shield will probably remain useful even if Nvidia stopped supporting it now.

It looks like Amlogic support is pretty good - same chip as one of the VIM3 options I think.

Top Bottom