• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Beautiful" Headphone Amplifier?

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hard to beat this one:
Trafomatica-Audio-Primavera (1).jpg

OP
Xulonn

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Talisman

Forum Donor
Does that mean your budget is $6.00 for a headphone amp with a max power of six watts like the "superb" Topping A90? Which HPAs are on your short list at that price? o_O

View attachment 227010

---------------------------

No need to lash out. :cool:

As many here know, my attachment to tubes is primarily sentimental. I'm 80 y/o, can barely hear to 10kHz, and solid-state audio did not exist when I got my start in the hobby with a 6L6 PP mono amplifier in 1958. I also had a prize-winning science fair project that used 811A tubes.

I agree that tubes are archaic and inefficient, and my main and desktop systems are all SS. But I have a "beautiful EL34 tube amplifier" and use it occasionally to warm my little room while I listen to music on cool evenings here in the rainforest mountains of Panama - where few homes have either heating or A/C.

My $750 40wpc EL34 PP amp sounds no better or worse than my $300 ICEpower amps at the moderate to fairly loud levels of my normal listening sessions. However, the warm glow of the tubes, good music, a cup of hot tea and a slice of fresh banana bread - and the memories of days past - provide for some pleasant evenings.
I really don't understand why many fail to understand this simple concept.
Sometimes simply the cold and absolute efficiency is not what comforts us and makes us feel good.
Sometimes even the warm lights of the tubes, on a winter evening, with some relaxing jazz and some wine, set the right mood and make us relax. I don't see anything wrong with it. Tubes are not the enemy.

JiiPee

I like this one:
fezz_omega_lupi_1.jpeg

The new Fezz Audio Omega Lupi headphone amp on top shelf. Fezz Audio Torus SS integrated amp on lower shelf.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
I'm not a headphone user - although I do own a Topping DX7s and also have a HIFIMAN HE400SE open-back headphone on my wish-list at Amazon.

This morning, when continuing my periodic search for "beautiful amplifiers" to add to my thread on that subject, I stumbled across a fine example of a beautiful design and impeccable craftsmanship from Feliks Audio. I wonder how this 15.1Kg (33lb) - 6,500€ "hand-crafted" Polish monster would measure and sound? (I am not expecting @amirm to get one to review!)

It would be interesting to try as a balanced preamplifier as well - perhaps driving a Purifi amplifier...300B magic with Purifi Hypex power? Sounds [sic] like an audio subjectivist's dream combo.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION​

Class A Single-ended transformer coupled amplifier
  • Power tubes: 300B
  • Driver tubes: PsVane CV-181 mk2 (6SN7)
  • 2x unbalanced RCA inputs (IN1, IN2)
  • 1x balanced XLR input (IN3)
  • Input sensitivity 1V RMS
  • Input impedance:
    – For IN1 i IN2 (RCA) 100kΩ
    – For IN3 (XLR) 10kΩ
  • 1x pair of pre-amplifier output as RCA
  • 1x pair of pre-amplifier output as XLR
Maximum voltage on the above outputs is 5V (RMS) at output impedance of 600Ω and THD<0,5%
  • Impedance selector guidance:
    – LO – up to 60Ω
    – MID – up to 300Ω
    – HI – up to 600Ω–mnh
  • Amplifier’s impedance:
    – LO at 32Ω load is 3,8Ω
    – MID at 100Ω load is 8,8Ω
    – HI at 600Ω is 20Ω
Output powered measured at MID impedance setting at load of 16Ω is 5W with THD ⩽1% (maximum 8W at THD >5%)
  • Frequency response:
    – 8Hz÷100kHz ±3dB
    – 18Hz÷40kHz ±1dB
  • Headphone outputs: 6.3mm and XLR
  • AC voltage 50/60Hz:
    – 230V version (±5%)
    – 115V version (±5%)
  • Power consumption: 110VA
  • Weight: 15,1kg (without packaging)
  • Dimensions:
    – 35x33x18,5cm (LxWxH) – without tubes
    – 35x33x24,5cm (LxWxH) – with tubes