• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Beautiful DACs

Waxx

Major Contributor
dsp? It does look pretty though in a high end way. I gather from @amirm that dsp is dealt with in software, Roon at his place. Maybe that's the best solution both sinad, distortion wise and being a practical solution in a world where many dacs lack dsp. (i know only three: minidsp, rme, quedelix).

For a display I was more thinking along the lines of a big screen, displaying cover art and/or db meter. Strange that such a solution is a niche or basically diy.
The thing is, most here are very technical minded and like tinkering arround, while the average consumer wants a one in all box that you can set and forget. I think the dsp should or be in the speaker system (like many active speakers) or in the multi-output dac/streamer device, that is not a computer, but a dedicated device, a kind of preamp-like system. I recently had someone asking me for advice on a device like that, a box like an preamp that also can do the dac and dsp function. So he can use his Bryston amps (that he loves) and his fancy KEF LS50 with a subwoofer (still to buy) without having a lot ad/da conversions and tinkering arround. Lyngdorf made some good attempts for this, but it's not the quality or ease of use yet that i and many would want. Idem with MiniDSP SHD and some others arround.

Those needs for integrated systems are why Sonos and the likes are so popular, they are very easy to use all in one solutions, the only problem is that they sound very bad. My brother (a bit technical minded) tries to concuer that by using different speakers (he bought Warfdales) with his Sonos system, but it's only a bit better, not like he wishes.

JaccoW

I prefer the E50 for its better slightly better performance, bigger box and display.

zmtb99n29q481.jpg

By u/hurtyewh

Not that much of an opinion of other DACs but I do have a couple of integrated amplifiers I really like. The Technics su-g700 being one of them.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Just like the other "Beautiful/Most Beautiful" threads for loudspeakers and other components, this thread could equally be entitled "Ugly/Most Ugly" as seen through other eyes. I am not going to point out my examples but smile quietly at the choices of others.

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
dsp? It does look pretty though in a high end way. I gather from @amirm that dsp is dealt with in software, Roon at his place. Maybe that's the best solution both sinad, distortion wise and being a practical solution in a world where many dacs lack dsp. (i know only three: minidsp, rme, quedelix).

For a display I was more thinking along the lines of a big screen, displaying cover art and/or db meter. Strange that such a solution is a niche or basically diy.
HiFi Rose 150
- 15 inch wide screen
- tons of functions
IMG_3515.JPG

rose.PNG

manisandher

Kevbaz

I think Mark Levinson kit looks really nice like their preamps and streamers. Not strictly a DAC, but they do have a DAC in them and a headphone out

jparvio

...I am not going to point out my examples but smile quietly at the choices of others.

Why and why? I'm sure we could also enjoy a smile; for whatever reason(s).

Edit: I like totaldac´s visuals. Timeless form all through the dac range.

Last edited:

Adi777

so just for fun right. To me this design has always been one the best, it's shouting high end audio in a classy way, the switzerland way ;)

Nagra_HDDAC_bb_03b-1920x1080.jpg
Looks original, retro, vintage style. Measurements?

@Kling75 This MBL looks too luxury for me.
Mola Mola Tambaqui looks interesting and nice, but the wavy upper part of the housing with the quite flat side left and right bites me a bit. In my opinion, the Tambaqui would look much better if the sides of the housing were wavy in the same way as the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom