• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

BBE Enhancer- worth the effort?

Jaimo

A friend dropped of a BBE 802 enhancer for me to try out in my system. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the effort of connecting it into my rig?

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I vote no. Its basically EQ. I used it back in the 90s to breath life into 4-track cassette recordings (sometimes multiple gens of cassette recordings). Not needed in the digital age - IMO.

House de Kris

I, too, vote no. I didn't have the same 802 as the OP, my mixer had a BBQ processor built in. Sounded great at first, but after less than five minutes I switched it out, never to engage it again.

In my opinion, BBE:
Short term - interesting
Long term - irritating

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I dug into yet more obscure and fascinating interweb audio tidbits, and found the below blog post - and now I know exactly what this gizmo does. I like his clear and logical conclusion.

...unless you intend to process sources that by their nature has high distortions and reduced frequency range (e.g. analog tape), there is absolutely no point in using this ancient unit.

BBE 802 Sonic Maximizer Measurements and Teardown

jsrtheta

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A friend dropped of a BBE 802 enhancer for me to try out in my system. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth the effort of connecting it into my rig?

Simple answer: No.

OP
Jaimo

Jaimo

Top Bottom