• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of RCA Cables: Mogami, Amazon, Monoprice

oneils

I do wish amazon basics would make shorter cables for stacking amps/DACs as their smallest size is 1.2 meters which is just too big :(
Same here. I buy the mono price ones sometimes because you can get them in 0.5 meters. Here in Canada, I'm having a hard time finding 6 inch rca cables. The only ones I can find cost around 40 to 50 bucks on Amazon. I could buy the Schiit ones, but with shipping, and taxes, and exchange to CAD, they run around 40 bucks maybe.

camelreef

I have an Amazonbasics cable tear-down to propose.
They are not badly at all. It's even surprising to see solder joints inside the moulding at this price range!
It was a bit of an exercise to cut though it. It's solid!

IMG_20200508_192316.jpg IMG_20200508_204520.jpg IMG_20200508_204623.jpg IMG_20200508_204742.jpg IMG_20200508_211715.jpg IMG_20200508_212813.jpg IMG_20200508_213314.jpg IMG_20200508_214503.jpg IMG_20200508_214945.jpg

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 3 monoprice rca cables carrying a signal from $500 in tubes out of a Schiit Freya+.

coonmanx

I have two short Monoprice RCA cables in the bedroom system. The 1.5 foot cables. They work great. I agree that you have to be careful inserting and removing them because the connection can be a bit tight. But if you twist them while you do that and/or use a small amount of Vaseline that is a non issue... The other cables in the bedroom system are Steren RCAs.

Attachments

• PLDC1270.JPG
    PLDC1270.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 93

Cisco150

KEFCarver

I have an Amazonbasics cable tear-down to propose.
They are not badly at all. It's even surprising to see solder joints inside the moulding at this price range!
It was a bit of an exercise to cut though it. It's solid!

View attachment 167633 View attachment 167634 View attachment 167635 View attachment 167637 View attachment 167638 View attachment 167642 View attachment 167643 View attachment 167639 View attachment 167640
Thanks for the great teardown photos. I bought four of them for my test set up and have been happy so far.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the Mogami, and then length is then easy to make it what one wants.
With the Neutrik Profi ends, or others, can make for a relatively attractive cable.

A soldering iron and some strippers.
Just re-reading this thread and encountered this advice.

If the strippers aren't available, will cocktail waitresses be a satisfactory workaround?

milosz

Forum Donor

If the strippers aren't available, will cocktail waitresses be a satisfactory workaround?
Not really the same thing. Kind of like the difference between using an atomic welder and a 20 watt soldering pencil.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I

Depends on how compliant they are. :rolleyes:

My adventures in stereo

Interesting test
The monoprice RCA cables, were well made but connected very loosely and could be easily displaced
So switched to WBC cables, tighter fit and mogami wires, a bit pricier but worth it for me

Slayer

Same here. I buy the mono price ones sometimes because you can get them in 0.5 meters. Here in Canada, I'm having a hard time finding 6 inch rca cables. The only ones I can find cost around 40 to 50 bucks on Amazon. I could buy the Schiit ones, but with shipping, and taxes, and exchange to CAD, they run around 40 bucks maybe.
If your ever in need again, these are great and inexpensive. $9.49

61ifw8l497L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Sorry for the large image.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
Never a bad idea to give some of the money saved on expensive cable purchases and supporting the testing setup that is all out of pocket by the man, @amirm !

Cougar

Thanks for this!

Unfortunately the people who need to be convinced, will never be convinced.
Years back in early 2000 I was going through system changes and not knowing better got pulled into this cable drama. Good thing one of my buddies owned a "High End" audio shop. One day he showed me a power cable and some interconnects that were really expensive. The Power cable was a new one that had just come out from PS Audio, that thing was really big and I got a chance to see the raw cable that was used in that power cable which the model # escapes me at the moment. The Raw cable had extra layers of shielding 2-3 if I'm correct. The interconnects were MIT's and were expensive too.

My buddy would let me try out anything in the shop for home audition. That's when I started to question certain gear and cost of gear. I never liked the MIT or Transparent Audio interconnects. Just didn't sound right in my system and kind of dull. I then tried out some NEW at the time Harmonic Technoloy cables that were not too expensive and sound way better. But when I would turn up the system they would sound like they were holding back the system. What I mean is for example, like a car that is going up a hill and you are putting your pedal down to increase the speed but is being held back for some reason. That is the only way I can explain it.

I then tried more cables at different price point but were all expensive in the $300 on up range for a meter. I couldn't justify the cost and what was being said at that time by some sources that you needed to spend 20% of what your entire system cost on cables. That was the last straw and I went on a DIY interconnect Power cable info search. I finally for a website that had some info on a cable design from the Navy and I tried the design out and to my surprise worked really well in my system but the drawback was as you increased in length of the interconnect so did the capacitance of the cable which could cause issues with certain preamps if they used designs in them that couldn't drive higher capacitance loads. Another draw back was if there was any strong EMI or RFI the cables would pick up the noise.

So I came across a post in one of the audio forums about a cable that is used in the Recording Studios and Pro Audio, the cable was Mogami. So I took the chance and bought one pair of RCA's and Balanced interconnects. I was surprised at how good these cables were built and sound for so little cost. I have been using them ever since and now I have discovered the "Worlds Best Cable" company and have tried their Cables with Mogami 2534 cable and Eminence connectors. These were really nicely built for very little cost and are now my go to connector. I will be trying out there Instrument cables for my basses and amps.

I'm glad my buddy let me barrow all kinds of cables and gear to save me from the wasted time and money going through the "High End" Merry Go Round. I have even convinced some of my audio buddies to try these Mogami cables and all have been very happy with the results.

Top Bottom