• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Battle of RCA Cables: Mogami, Amazon, Monoprice

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It should be noted that any comments or arguments in defence of cable shielding and the resultant benefits are summarily and regularly closed down on this forum.
Which is why I'm not going to bother commenting ;)

Watch for the backlash to even this comment in 3.....2......1.....
There is also an innocent backlash from cable shielding.
Kind of like the high-frequency shielding revenge (promoting) low-frequency ground-loops.:facepalm:

[I don't want to be summarily/regularly closed down with my above statement and no backlashes please... 3....2....1....]

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
But often not significant, as in "usually." The only exceptions are phono cables for MM, where capacitance changes frequency response.

Shielded power cables are particularly daft.
Just attempting to offer him the opportunity to prove himself not a shill or scam. ;)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I looking about that comment about microphone cabling being microphonic -- and just left wondering whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
;)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Shielded power cables are particularly daft.
Back a couple of decades or so ago, some printers and desk top computers came with shielded AC power cords. The shields were to reduce interference emissions from the unit, so that they could pass the FCC noise tests.
Now almost everything that uses AC power has a Switch Mode Power Supply (SMPS). Lots aren't tested. Lots emit interference and a shielded cord might help.

by-tor

Thank you for taking the time. I've always bought cheap Hosa RCA cables and found them perfectly good enough, but it's nice to have some actual data on these cheaper cables.

Andysu

Major Contributor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Well... petroleum jelly is a really good electrical insulator. Not much continuity to be had.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
I guess that this is a pretty good place to put this : Blue Jeans is now selling speaker cable on Amazon. Not their full line up (you still need to go to their user - unfriendly website for that) but it is good to see them on Amazon.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom