• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

gerG

...wait, amplitude modulation of a carrier frequency? Seems to ring a bell.

Rock Rabbit

Last picture is not a problem of the fake cable, seems that the RMA test stop at the initial calibration burst, less amplitude or front end saturation due to high common mode noise (?)
IMG_20220304_162647.jpg

Rock Rabbit

To "test" a balanced cable for shield swapping, insert cable on audio interface. Grab the cable with your hand and mains hum raise by 30-40 dB in a misconfigured one

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my 2 foot WBC XLR cables last night. Pretty happy with them so far. One thing that I noted is that there is no left-right indicator with the cable pair. "Solved" with white and red cable ties around the XLR barrels.

81HvuVC0GeS._SL1500_.jpg

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been very satisfied with the Benchmark XLR cables, that are Canare terminated Neutrik XLR. I like them more than my MIT interconnects.
The Benchmark price seems similar to BJC for similar build.

Labjr

Major Contributor
The Benchmark price seems similar to BJC for similar build.

Both sites are expensive. Make your own. The cable is about 60 cents a foot and connectors are about $3 each.

Russ_L

Forum Donor
Got my 2 foot WBC XLR cables last night. Pretty happy with them so far. One thing that I noted is that there is no left-right indicator with the cable pair. "Solved" with white and red cable ties around the XLR barrels.

81HvuVC0GeS._SL1500_.jpg

Who was the dealer for these cables? Tnx.

Russ

dan31

Make your own is fine for people that are experienced. If your not up to speed on soldering perhaps paying someone who does it day in and day out is a prudent investment. I think I will give Benchmark my money when I need longer cables. Money well spent in my book.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Make your own is fine for people that are experienced. If your not up to speed on soldering perhaps paying someone who does it day in and day out is a prudent investment. I think I will give Benchmark my money when I need longer cables. Money well spent in my book.
I can agree. The time spent acquiring components and assembling a short cable was not a good trade-off for the $30 I spent on the WBC. Spending double for Benchmark or BJC doesn’t seem far fetched depending on how you value your time and the brand. Now, $300 for a 2 ft cable would be a very different valuation, to me.

I wouldn't pay the premium for the benchmark cables especially factoring in their price is per single cable length. Buying them custom made by a reputable professional av/pa supplier would be far more economic, you'd be surprised how many businesses provide this service.

Veri

Master Contributor
I wouldn't pay the premium for the benchmark cables especially factoring in their price is per single cable length. Buying them custom made by a reputable professional av/pa supplier would be far more economic, you'd be surprised how many businesses provide this service.
Oh yeah, good cables but they aren't even sold as pairs which is a little odd and thus quite pricy :s

Labjr

Major Contributor
This company is more reasonable. They seem to have a good selection. Canare, Mogami etc. Free Shipping over $20. I haven't used them yet so I can't personally recommend.

Same for BJC - sold as individual cables, which makes sense for professional use.
I looked at their cables look like solid no bs designs, I'm in new zealand so everything imported is hella expensive sadly. I've used wbc on Amazon in the past and can wholeheartedly recommend them, I'm buying cables from a professional sound system installer now. It's easier and cheaper in my use case but ymmv.

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning

81HvuVC0GeS._SL1500_.jpg

Hello,

It is not just left and right.

It is sub-woofer, it is left right times 3 amplifiers ......

Some times I use colored tape and a Sharpie marker pen.

Thanks DT

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

It is not just left and right.

It is sub-woofer, it is left right times 3 amplifiers ......

Some times I use colored tape and a Sharpie marker pen.

Thanks DT
Some who custom make cables can provide several colored cables.

Top Bottom