• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mar-Vac price tag (circa 1991) shows that I had paid $23.08 for my 3M STD-C Wire Marker #12175.
202212_3MScotchWireMarker.JPG

Now selling for $62.22 here.
But when all the cables are stashed behind many equipment and/or rack, the XLR end (you may have color-coded) and now holding in YOUR hand says nothing about where the source or the destination of the cable is.
There is a version of this 3M family of wire markers which replace the colors w/numbers instead (Model #12174), as long as it is accompanied by a cheat sheet.
TL&DR: For the same $62.22, one can purchase a good enough labeler, that can be multi-purpose for home/work.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Well all XLR interconnects are directional.
While connecting the shield at only the send end can reduce some problems (often caused by poor design of the receive end unit) the high frequency interference rejection is diminished. (so they add a radio frequency capacitor at the receive end). But in pro audio these cables can't be used as microphone cables (or for any battery powered units) so they need two sets of cables. Things are quickly getting complicated.
Worked in studios fir 30 years, never saw an xlr that the shield wasn't connected at both ends.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
What was measured in the first post was mostly the analog electronics in the DAC and the ADC not the cables.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What was measured in the first post was mostly the analog electronics in the DAC and the ADC not the cables.
... and the possible contributions (+/-) of the interconnecting cables. ;)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Which are swamped by the electronics. The first measurement should have been the electronics.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure. As long as you measure several DUTs each others, you keep the exact same elements between tests, except the DUTs, which are supposed to be factors of observed variations, double checked with repeatability. Otherwise, you could have say the same thing about any measurements done with an APx: "What was measured was mostly the AP, not the DUT"... ;)

Any other way that you would have in mind to measure effect of cables in the final analog chain?
The first measurement should have been the electronics.
...Take the Canare results for reference if you will. The DAC here is just acting as a tone generator (not the most transparent one for sure, but the best I had on hands by the time of the review).

What is this colored sleeves called?
What these are called on the pic: Neutrik XXR ! ;)

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Sure. As long as you measure several DUTs each others, you keep the exact same elements between tests, except the DUTs, which are supposed to be factors of observed variations, double checked with repeatability. Otherwise, you could have say the same thing about any measurements done with an APx: "What was measured was mostly the AP, not the DUT"... ;)

Any other way that you would have in mind to measure effect of cables in the final analog chain?

...Take the Canare results for reference if you will. The DAC here is just acting as a tone generator (not the most transparent one for sure, but the best I had on hands by the time of the review).

What these are called on the pic: Neutrik XXR ! ;)
If you measure something with test equipment that has less resolution than you need your test will not be valid. Its like measuring a persons height with a ruler that only measures to the foot. Everybody who's between 5'6" and 6'6" will measure the same height, 6'. If your DAC has .001% distortion you will never corectly measure a DUT with . 0001% you'll be measuring the DAC. An APx has many orders of magnitude better distortion than any audio DAC but I would still take a close look at cable measurements. Or, how do measure a wire with something full of wires?

"Any other way that you would have in mind to measure effect of cables in the final analog chain?"
Its not easy because there is no final effect.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I use the Monoprice XLRs on all my surround channels and are fine with them. But being an audiophile, I use (much) more expensive Triode Wire Labs XLRs on front left and right channels.

Russ
Uhm...are you joking here?

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some audiophool connectors from Neutrik with CRYSTALLIZED TM Swarovski Elements, whatever that is.

View attachment 253551
“Fancy, noble, valuable, attractive package - an eye catcher”

At least no claims are made about audio quality, only aesthetics.

Music707

Some audiophool connectors from Neutrik with CRYSTALLIZED TM Swarovski Elements, whatever that is.

View attachment 253551

The only downside is that you have to turn your amp and speakers towards the wall so that the connectors are visible all the time. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The only downside is that you have to turn your amp and speakers towards the wall so that the connectors are visible all the time. ;)
Maybe someone can sell high-end mirrors?

Top Bottom