• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

hege

Forum Donor
(set dynamic range to 96dB, since the input is 16-bit):

My original suggestion of 60dB scale was for the graph being clearly readable and not showing inaudible noise. Input bits have nothing to do with it. :)

Propheticus

I went from the default 120dB scale (no argument given to SoX) to 96dB and did not see your suggestion.
To me it felt weird using a scale broader than what's possible in the material you're analysing.

I see your reasoning and perhaps reducing the scale (increasing the 'contrast') even more is indeed a good idea.

hege

Forum Donor
I went from the default 120dB scale (no argument given to SoX) to 96dB and did not see your suggestion.
To me it felt weird using a scale broader than what's possible in the material you're analysing.

I see your reasoning and perhaps reducing the scale (increasing the 'contrast') even more is indeed a good idea.

Aah ok, heh, a random fellow SoX user then. :) Most graphs posted in this thread used the examples from my post in the first page. I did some listening tests also to come up with the 60dBish figure, looks nice and shows somewhat audible stuff.

Don Hills

Addicted to Fun and Learning

cursive

Forum Donor
Almost more ambient than true music, but has some seriously deep bass for sure. I'd recommend finding the actual flac, or use tidal rather than youtube.

hege

Forum Donor
Corvus Corax's "O Varium Fortune" has bass organ down to 22 Hz.

Like the track. :)

Corvus Corax - O Varium Fortune [12]-d2dOMQjRI3Y.png

"The Current" by the Blue Man Group goes down to 19 Hz.

... at practically inaudible levels. Nothing happening here really.

Blue Man Group - The Current (Official Video)-MD5PiK14Gd8.png

Genesis - Squonk-TzL-up4ZKgI.png

Steve Howe Annie Haslam Turn of century Yes tribute-2XqGmz8_Pis.png

hege

Forum Donor
Almost more ambient than true music, but has some seriously deep bass for sure. I'd recommend finding the actual flac, or use tidal rather than youtube.

Looks like rocket launch at 20sec. :D

Unien holvit-912jNkxA13Y.png

Last edited:

hege

Forum Donor

cursive

Forum Donor
Looks like rocket launch at 20sec. :D

Lol it sounds somewhat like a rocket launch haha. I'm fascinated by these graphs, are these something I can easily generate on my own?
I definitely thought the bass hits from 90 seconds to 170 were 0 or lower, but if I'm reading this right they're more at 30-35hz? Nice to see it measured as I'm sure I think a lot of bass is lower than it really is.

Thanks for the graphs and links! Listening to more bass now. :cool:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A classic.

hege

Forum Donor

Palfim

For a deep subbass I can recommend some old school UK dubstep tracks like "statement of intent" or "Semtex" by J:Kenzo.
I use the latter one to tune my bass eq shelf , around the 2min mark I got nearly every HP/amp combination to clip or distort if the headroom isn't sufficient.
Btw some damn nice music in this thread!

Don Hills

... at practically inaudible levels. Nothing happening here really.

Likely the Youtube clip audio is bad.
From a CD rip:
current.png

Hayabusa

Serious bass going down to 12Hz

1618238009967.png

audiofooled

This is not so much about sub bass, but for testing dynamic headroom, bass control and transient response. Anything from this artist will contain in the bass region very wide and simultaneous waveform anywhere in between 30's all the way to 100's. And it will be very consistent in accuracy. It will make your system deliver, or not. If it can, in the spectrum analyzer you should get very consistent results for each and every peak, and yield a beautiful, somewhat symmetric waveform. It targets simultaneous higher peaks of 40 and 80 Hz for chest cavity resonance, plus it has crazy amounts of stereo content. No matter if you're into this kind of music or not, if you like this gut kicking bass, here you would find out if your system can do it. Also is it capable to do it repeatedly and loudly without ever running out of juice... You'd better hope for at least over +20 db for bass peaks and your amp's ability to stop them cones on a dime.

goldenears

I was just listening to the 7.1 mix of Come Together from The Beatles - Abbey Road.

I got a shock how much bass is in there. Not as much as all these crazy electronic tracks, but still nice. The song accentuates the bass with the weird beat the other speakers are playing as well.

This is just the LFE channel:

spectrogram.png

Not sure if it'll be the same on youtube but here's the link:

Last edited:
Top Bottom