• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic stereo amps: Hypex NC122MP > ICE125ASX2 > ??

Forvak

Hi folks,

I have two pairs of speakers that I'd like to listen to and my current amp is a very early Sonos model that's becoming increasingly difficult to use thanks to the software support essentially ending. I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 121s (8 Ohm, 86 dB sensitivity) that have been my main speakers for about five years, they do a nice job for the mix of music and movies I use them for in a fairly small office room.

I also have a good friend who is loaning me a pair of custom speakers which are a bit more interesting and require separate amps for the low and high frequency bands since they need a digital crossover. He says the low frequency needs about 120 Watts and the higher bands about 60 watts, both 8 ohm equivalents.

Looking around I'm getting the feeling that the Hypex Ncore and IcePower amps are well regarded and not an unreasonable price for their performance. Looking at buying modules and cases from somewhat reputable sources it still looks a little expensive though.

Audiophonics MPA-S125NC : $430
IcePower ICE125ASX2 Ghent self-build: $100 + ($155 to $200) + shipping & taxes [Lets say $340]

Audiophonics MPA-S250NC : $550
NC252MP Ghent self-build : $300 + $130 + shipping & taxes [Lets say $510]

So, my question is what's the next cheapest option for each of these power levels? I'm capable and confident in soldering and testing electronics, including high power devices, but audio is a new territory for me. I'm definitely looking for products or kits, not full DIY. I am in the United Kingdom, but used US prices since many folks seem to be based there.

Thanks!

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You're probably looking at some TPA3251 or TPA3255 modules, or go the ready built and more thoroughly measured route with the Aiyima A07 (or lower power A04 that hasn't been measured here). Unfortunately on the module front we're lacking measurements other than from manufacturers. 3E Audio do some that are well regarded. XRK, Jlester and DrMordor boards come with PFFB already implemented and should measure better, but cost more. You may end up not far from the total cost of the hypex based on this rough breakdown. There's this seller but it seems unexpectedly cheap.

OP
F

Forvak

Well, it's super hard to complain about $57 + power supply. Huzzah for an AliExpress unknown brick, 36V, 5A, for $24.

It looks like the Mean Well LRS-350-48 seems like a solid option for 7.3 Amps of 48V, $37. It'd be nicer with a proper case, likely that's basically what the Audiophonics PSU is ($93). $56 for the case, power button, and IEC socket, not actually a too bad of a price. Does feel odd to spend almost twice the cost of the amp on a PSU.

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi...-supply-100-240v-ac-to-48v-7a-dc-p-14749.html

Mean Well also makes the GST220A36-R7B brick for $80. Probably reliable and efficient and splits the difference between the two PSUs that Amir tested. (Just noticed it's the wrong plug type, but that's an easy fix)

Thanks for the pointer. If someone makes a TPA powered amp with wall AC in for ~$100 that'd be nice.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Meanwell have adapters for the power mini DIN to 2.1 and 2.5mm barrel connectors.

3E have an all-in-one amp but performance is limited by the built in DSP, and power output limited by the power supply. More details in this thread. Aiyima and at least one other have amps with internal PSU but without the DSP, also with limited power output. Questions have been asked about their safety based on photos of the internals where the clearance around the mains power traces on the PCB is less than expected - details buried in that other 3255 thread somewhere. Having said that the unknown bricks may be just as bad internally if the teardowns of cheap phone chargers are anything to go by. The Meanwells (and other recognised brands) cost more, but they've passed external certification.

Top Bottom