• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic question!

Zek

Major Contributor
It is very difficult for an amateur to make the correct 3-way crossover. Midrange drivers should be close to the bass driver for efficiency, otherwise they will be turn down. To make speakers, you must have measuring equipment and make measurements when designing a crossover.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

Ok. So at what Frequencies would you suggest for the Woffer?
would it be possible to buy a Crossover rated at 1500Hz or 2000Hz, instead of 3000Hz?
The tweeter can handel with a minimum of 1Khz!

Or I could swapp the tweeter with a small fullrange Driver witsh could do 110Hz - 20000Hz like this one?
and then get Low and High Pass Crossovers at 500Hz!

tell me what you think would be the best to do!

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
would it be possible to buy a Crossover rated at 1500Hz or 2000Hz, instead of 3000Hz?

Or I could swapp the tweeter with a small fullrange Driver witsh could do 110Hz - 20000Hz like this one?

If I were designing a practical three-way 'speaker I would get a 30cm/12" bass unit up to around 300-350Hz, a 10cm/4" mid from 300Hz to 3-4kHz and a tweeter above that. That way the most important 'telephone' range is covered by one driver, and the tweeter doesn't have to go too low, so power handling isn't an issue.

I wouldn't like to make any driver do more than a decade, so 30-300, 300-3k, 3k upwards makes sense to me.

I've not found any two-way satisfactory except as small 'bookshelf' 'speakers as any attempt to use a large bass/mid unit starts beaming before the tweeter takes over, with a discontinuity in the polar response.

Equally, unless I was interested in very low bass, I've not found a 4 or more way necessary.

S.

Krunok

Major Contributor
If I were designing a practical three-way 'speaker I would get a 30cm/12" bass unit up to around 300-350Hz

I seriously doubt that 30cm driver exists that is able to reach 300Hz without experiencing cone breakup. And there the trouble begins: you have to cut of at app 170Hz, thus you have to use bigger midrange driver which can work from 170Hz but cannot reach 4kHz and you have to cut it at around 2kHz.. And then you end up with the speaker similar to Performa3 F208.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

If I were designing a practical three-way 'speaker I would get a 30cm/12" bass unit up to around 300-350Hz, a 10cm/4" mid from 300Hz to 3-4kHz and a tweeter above that. That way the most important 'telephone' range is covered by one driver, and the tweeter doesn't have to go too low, so power handling isn't an issue.

S.

It is a 2 way Speaker! not 3 way!
And the Woffer is 25cm!

Krunok

Major Contributor

I doubt that even a professional loudspeaker designer can answer your question if you don't provide much more data and measurements about the drivers you planned to use.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

Specs of Woffer (Bass Driver) :

Product Specifications
Nominal Diameter 10"
Power Handling (RMS)200 W
Power Handling (Max)400 W
Impedance 8 Ω
Frequency Response40-9500 Hz
Sensitivity 92 dB
Voice Coil Diameter 1-17⁄64" (32 mm)

Thiele-Small Parameters
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 43 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 7.5 Ω
Total Q (Qts) 1.19
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 59.7 l

Materials of Construction
Cone Material: Paper
Surround Material: Foam
Magnet Material: Ferrite

Mounting Information
Overall Outside Diameter 10-3⁄64" (255 mm)
Baffle Cutout Diameter 9-1⁄16" (230 mm)
Depth 3-47⁄64" (95 mm)
Mounting Holes: 4

MHB 10, 10", 8 Ohm
Brand: MHB
Model: 10
Part Number: 6003222
Weight: 4 lbs.

Specs of Tweeter:

RMS capacity 25 W
Max. load 50 W
Min. frequency 1000 Hz
Max. frequency 20000 Hz
Frequency range 1000 Hz - 20000 Hz
Sound pressure 93 dB
Impedance 8 Ω
Recess depth 45 mm
Weight 490 g
Height 51 mm
(Ø) 115 mm
Product type Dome tweeter

Specs of Crossover:

8 Ohm
200 W power handling
12db/oct
Crossover Frequency: 3khz

Speaker Box:

Volume:
in Liters 37.5
Material: Wood
Dimensions:
length 50cm
width 25cm
hight 30cm

Last edited:

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is a 2 way Speaker! not 3 way!
And the Woffer is 25cm!

IMO, that woofer is too big for a two-way, as it will beam horribly by the time the tweeter takes over. back in the 1960s, many 'speakers were like that, and they weren't very good. The anechoic on-axis response may be OK, perhaps, but the off-axis response will have a considerable discontinuity due to the woofer beaming. In a very dead room and/or with the 'speakers far from a wall, and listening in the near field, it might be OK, but in the diffuse field, with a normally bright room, the sound will be coloured. If you want to use that woofer, and there's nothing especially wrong with it I can see, then I think you should fill in the midrange with a 10-13cm 4-5" mid unit.

S.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

IMO, that woofer is too big for a two-way, as it will beam horribly by the time the tweeter takes over. back in the 1960s, many 'speakers were like that, and they weren't very good. The anechoic on-axis response may be OK, perhaps, but the off-axis response will have a considerable discontinuity due to the woofer beaming. In a very dead room and/or with the 'speakers far from a wall, and listening in the near field, it might be OK, but in the diffuse field, with a normally bright room, the sound will be coloured. If you want to use that woofer, and there's nothing especially wrong with it I can see, then I think you should fill in the midrange with a 10-13cm 4-5" mid unit.

S.

Ok.
so there is no way around the fact that I need to get a mid range Unit, if I want to use this Woffer?!
or could I change the Tweeter with a Full range unit? and get a Crossover rated at lets say 500hz?

F.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok.
so there is no way around the fact that I need to get a mid range Unit, if I want to use this Woffer?!
or could I change the Tweeter with a Full range unit? and get a Crossover rated at lets say 500hz?

F.
Changing the tweeter won't help, and the so-called full range units are nothing of the sort. If they have a big enough cone for bass, they will beam as we've already discussed, and any coaxial tweeter cone will be very poor as a tweeter, with lots of resonances and bass cone breakup.

There's a reason why 'speakers that achieve more or less 'full range' are three or four way, and that good two-ways are small 'bookshelf' 'speakers that don't do deep bass.

S

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Specs of Woffer (Bass Driver) :

[..]
Materials of Construction
Cone Material: Paper
Surround Material: Foam
Magnet Material: Ferrite
Chances are that this driver may be dead in 10 years. I have seen several chassis in this age where the foam has just rotten away. OTOH I just sold a pair of 31 year old KEF B110A which were in mint condition. They use a kind of rubber.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Chances are that this driver may be dead in 10 years. I have seen several chassis in this age where the foam has just rotten away. OTOH I just sold a pair of 31 year old KEF B110A which were in mint condition. They use a kind of rubber.
"may" is the operative word. Some foam surrounds disintegrate as you say, but others look like new after 25 years.

Top Bottom