• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic question!

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

Ok i think I got that?!!!
Did you ask what audio source I use for my MP3?. If yes I download Music on to The MP3 ether from YouTube ore I buy Hi-res songs online!
To my laptop I have usb digital output and analog. And the Converter from Behringer Looks pretty god!
But still my question is if there is any device that is a sort of a control center for the complete system ?

So would a preamp of that sort be any use to me, would there be any Plus points to having one?

I do hope I am not repeating myself!

Ps, the Reviews for Nobsound Products are pretty good!

Willem

Major Contributor
What would you want to control? The amplifier has an input selector and a volume control. The pc has a good interface to play music from various services, and the cd player wil have acouple of buttons to start, advance to the next track. You are not missing anything. The little audio player is, of course, unnecessary when you are at home.
Buying HiRes tracks is a waste of money, certainly in such a basic system, and arguably also in a high end system.
Finally, unless you have a very large room (I presume not) you do better to avoid subwoofers. Nobsound is ultra cheap stuff and I would argue a waste of money, irrespective of what reviews may say. For example, see here for a proper test: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rements-of-nobsound-ns-dac3-pro-dac-amp.5293/

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If yes I download Music on to The MP3 ether from YouTube ore I buy Hi-res songs online!

Why do you buy "hi-res" downloads if you listen to them as mp3?

Willem

Major Contributor
This may well be a linguistic confusion. I think he calls the portable audio player his mp3. Whether the actual tracks are compromised because lossy compressed mp3 is perhaps unclear.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This may well be a linguistic confusion. I think he calls the portable audio player his mp3. Whether the actual tracks are compromised because lossy compressed mp3 is perhaps unclear.

Not sure I would use the word "compromised", but yes, I guess he means "portable" when he writes "mp3". Still interested in why he pays for "hi-res".

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok i think I got that?!!!
Did you ask what audio source I use for my MP3?. If yes I download Music on to The MP3 ether from YouTube ore I buy Hi-res songs online!
To my laptop I have usb digital output and analog. And the Converter from Behringer Looks pretty god!
But still my question is if there is any device that is a sort of a control center for the complete system ?

So would a preamp of that sort be any use to me, would there be any Plus points to having one?
I don't think it would be of use. You already have two integrated amplifiers (integrated means a combination of preamp and power amp).
If the quality of the analog outputs of your digital sources is really bad a cheap DAC would help but I doubt that this is the case.

The yet unsolved problem is how to connect your passive sub. If one of your two amplifiers has both preamp outputs and power amp inputs and they are bridged you could get an active crossover to split the signal for satellites and sub woofer, and use the other amp as power amp for the sub.

When you're back from holiday tell us the exact model numbers of all your equipment (amps, speakers, player ...) and we might be able to give better advice.
Ps, the Reviews for Nobsound Products are pretty good!
Subjective reviews without measurements are worthless.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

I don't think it would be of use. You already have two integrated amplifiers (integrated means a combination of preamp and power amp).
If the quality of the analog outputs of your digital sources is really bad a cheap DAC would help but I doubt that this is the case.

The yet unsolved problem is how to connect your passive sub. If one of your two amplifiers has both preamp outputs and power amp inputs and they are bridged you could get an active crossover to split the signal for satellites and sub woofer, and use the other amp as power amp for the sub.

When you're back from holiday tell us the exact model numbers of all your equipment (amps, speakers, player ...) and we might be able to give better advice.

Subjective reviews without measurements are worthless.
Ok Thanks!!! I will come Back here wenn I am back from Holiday, and then I will send the Models of amp...!

gene_stl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would ask the august membership of this forum, if they would agree with the following proposition.

"Putting tubes on digital equipment, is one of the stupidest things, I can think of"

I think this applies to the OP link but I also think it applies to very high priced things that do the same thing.
Like ModWright tube conversions for Oppo especially in light of how well the Oppo (200 series) did in Amir's testing.
Or Lampizator and his gear.
I started out with tube gear in the sixties. I was glad to be rid of them. Even my MacIntosh MC75 s.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask the august membership of this forum, if they would agree with the following proposition.

"Putting tubes on digital equipment, is one of the stupidest things, I can think of"

Yes. If you want coloration and distortion, DSP is a much better way of doing it.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

ok, here come the Models of Amps:

Sony STR-GX215
Nad 302

To the Nobsound Product I decided that it is rather cheep stuff and it's probably not very good in quality, due to some Proper reviews!

Last edited:

Zek

Major Contributor
@Finn_<77
What type of line sources do you want to connect to the amplifier / receiver?

captain paranoia

Both those amps have multiple inputs. You will be able to connect all your sources to either. As they are integrated amps, they have a preamp/source selector to control volume, and a power amp.

If the CD player is full size, it will have RCA sockets for analogue audio out (red and white). These will connect directly the the RCA input sockets on the amp using a standard RCA plug to RCA plug cable.

The portable music player and laptop are most likely to have stereo 3.5mm jack sockets. You will need a suitable 3.5mm (1/8 inch) jack plug to RCA plug cable.

Start with this before buying anything else. Try each of the amps with each of the pairs of speakers.

As another poster said, you probably won't need a subwoofer if you are using the system in a bedroom. If you buy a subwoofer, and turn the volume up, you will not be popular with family and neighbours; they will start yelling at you to 'turn that damned noise down'. Low frequencies travel through walls with ease.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
ok, here come the Models of Amps:

Sony STR-GX215
Nad 302
I googled (actually: dockduckwent) for both amps and these are my recommendations:
  • If we trust the specs the NAD should be used as preamp and its power amp for the highs (or mid/highs if you want to go passive) because
    • It has PRE OUT and MAIN IN, to insert the active crossover
    • its power is limited but THD is decent.
    • BTW: if you have no manual for the NAD302 you can download it here.
  • According to the service manual (you can download it here) the Sony has neither PRE OUT nor MAIN IN:
    • therefore it cannot be used as preamp with active crossover, but as power amp for mid or lows.
    • It also has a bit more power but THD might not be as good so it's better suited for the lows where human hearing is not so sensitive to THD. However, with a range up to 800Hz its THD components may easily reach 1.6/2.4/3.2 kHz and I don't know how much the bass chassis is able to emit.
    • you can still use the tuner though: connect TAPE2 REC OUT of the Sony with the TUNER input of the NAD and use the TAPE2 IN In as power amp input. For this you must select both TUNER and TAPE2 MONITOR on the front.
To the Nobsound Product I decided that it is rather cheep stuff and it's probably not very good in quality, due to some Proper reviews!
That's a smart move.

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

Ok, thanks!
I did not now that the Nad had a Main in and pre out that were usable, because it had this Pins connecting both together, and i thought
that thees were not meant to be taken out!

BillG

Major Contributor
Yes. If you want coloration and distortion, DSP is a much better way of doing it.

Indeed it is, and also less expensive... :cool:

I use this plug-in below on my Windows media player, MusicBee, rather often as it does some things sonically that I find pleasing to my ears:

Untitled.png

OP
Finn_<77

Finn_<77

Just one question that does not fully resemble this thread:
If i wont to connect my sub to the Nad amp bridged, would the following specs work?
The sub has 3 Ohms and the Nad amp is at 8 Ohms.
so if I Bridge the sub to the amp I would have a output Impedance of 4 Ohms correct???
so if the amp has one Ohm more than the Sub, would that harm the Amp?!

Top Bottom