• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basic 2 Channel Class D Power Amp?

mj30250

I'm looking to offload some heavier lifting from my AVR in a secondary living room system when listening loudly to music.

MLP is over 11' from two bookshelves (on the lower sensitivity side), so to have a "comfortable" amount of headroom when blasting out some busier tunes I'm looking for something in the area of 200wpc @8ohms. I don't need any particular features or bells and whistles, just something that will play cleanly / noise-free with a Denon X3300W used as a pre-amp.

I'm limited here on space and weight capacity, so a smaller form factor is needed, which is why I'm looking at class D.

Thanks in advance.

F

freemansteve

Which speakers?
Either way, the Topping PA5 seems to to do well in tests on this site for its price point.

Or one of the many Hypex amps from £450 (UK) upwards seem to rate very well, unless you spend all day listening to 45KHz test tones, gobbling aspirins, staring at a 'scope. Similarly, Purifi designs seem to score well...

I've never heard a topping, nor have shares in the company. I like the Hypex amps in my own modest rig though.

OP
M

mj30250

Which speakers?

Eventually, these:

Sierra LX.png

fordiebianco

Forum Donor

I have one. High WAF. Works well.

F

freemansteve

The Volt thing looks very good for the money.
And there is nothing to stop one using it right away, and later adding a beefier power amp - if needed. It looks like it has pre-out?

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
It looks like it has pre-out?

Don't think so. You use it as a integrated/power amp. I had it had a go at my KEF 105.1s . No complaints, but then I don't listen at ++ SPF.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I paid more than $500 for my Buckeye NC502MP-based stereo amp, but not that much more. And it fulfills all your requirements directly--220ish watts at 8 ohms at the very low rated distortion (more power at slightly higher distortion), the size of a shoe box for ladies Size 7 slippers, minimalist exterior, no particular features or bells and whistles other than a remote control circuit and clipping indicators.

Rick "for $500, you are either into lower power, vintage boat anchors (which, by the way, would do you proud except for the small and light thing), or another month or two of saving up" Denney

KMM

I use a full size double mono Hypex NC250 from Audiophonics for exactly that use case. A smaller footprint is this one:

Top Bottom