• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Basement ceiling acoustics

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi all. I am planning a new house in WA with a basement media room. Concerning the ceiling, I am thinking that exposed joists on the ceiling would be far better than drywall or tongue and groove decking because a complex ceiling would break up a lot of reflections. Anyone here have special insight on that? And Yes, Amir, you will be invited to Bellingham!
I would use homasote panels as floor underlayment on the floor above.
patrick

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm not sure because you have several equal-width cavities with the same resonant frequency...

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot will depend on local building codes for habitable rooms. I did a basement room in CO, where drywall on the ceiling was required for fire safety. In any case I have found stuffing the ceiling cavity with fluffy insulation is a good first step. Then add vertical slats (like joists but smaller) in random heights with random spacing below the drywall. Make some of the spacing the right size for foam tiles, which you can add later, especially at the bounce points, if you feel you need them. Best of luck with the move!

Top Bottom