• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Baseball No Hitter

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Mets threw a no-hitter by-committee last night. It's a legit no hitter, but instead of 1 pitcher getting all 27 outs, in this case, it took 5 pitchers.

Some say it's less meaningful that way. I call BS. You still gotta get 27 major league hitters out without ONE of them getting a hit. No easy task.

There have been 315 no-hitters in recorded MLB history, and only 18 have been by-committee. That's about 6%. So off the bat (see what I did there???!) that implies they're much harder to get. But we'd need to look at all of the data more deeply to really know why that is.

Either way it was fun to watch.

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

Nonsense to the conclusion but good try and +1 for the pun.
I call nonsense to the nonsense conclusion.

Also, I said we'd need to look at the data more deeply, but it's not even CLOSE. And I stand by it.

After thinking about it for a bit, no hitters usually happen when the pitcher is having a very special day. He's just in the zone. It's that human thing we have no control of. Some days we're good, and some days we're crap.

But the moment you bring another pitcher in, the chances of him being in that unhittable magic zone are less likely. And the more pitchers you bring in, the odds lessen more that they'll all be in the zone.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems that by-committee would be unlikely to happen except early in the season when starting pitchers are on a strict pitch count. Which is a modern thing so even less likely in the old days.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

A no hitter is rare. A no hitter by one pitcher is an extraordinary accomplishment by one individual/ the pitcher. By committee ? A superlative accomplishment by a manager.

However you dissect it, it is special. Should be enjoyed and revered by any fan.

Peace

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
The Mets threw a no-hitter by-committee last night. It's a legit no hitter, but instead of 1 pitcher getting all 27 outs, in this case, it took 5 pitchers.

Some say it's less meaningful that way. I call BS. You still gotta get 27 major league hitters out without ONE of them getting a hit. No easy task.

There have been 315 no-hitters in recorded MLB history, and only 18 have been by-committee. That's about 6%. So off the bat (see what I did there???!) that implies they're much harder to get. But we'd need to look at all of the data more deeply to really know why that is.

Either way it was fun to watch.
The game had six walks.

Now a perfect game is another story IMO.

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
How many of the batters got off home and at least ran toward first base?

If more than none, then the other players on the team deserves a little credit, too.

No, I didn't watch the game.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
How many of the batters got off home and at least ran toward first base?

If more than none, then the other players on the team deserves a little credit, too.

No, I didn't watch the game.
Often fielders deserve allot of credit. Many times you will see a diving catch or some other extraordinary play or plays to save the game.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
There have been 315 no-hitters in recorded MLB history, and only 18 have been by-committee. That's about 6%. So off the bat (see what I did there???!) that implies they're much harder to get.

My take is that the circumstances that lead to a combined no-hitter are much more rare, not that they are much harder to get.

In looking back at MLB history, ignore the last few years where teams have been much more strict about imposing pitch counts (e.g., Clayton Kershaw) and experimenting more with "openers". What you see is that managers would never pull a starting pitcher who was doing a good job ... someone throwing a no-hitter or maybe even a perfect game; starting pitchers would only get pulled when they're doing a bad job. So in MLB history there are tons of games where a single (starting) pitcher had the chance to throw a no-hitter, but the opportunity for a combined no-hitter throughout MLB history has been very rare.

The more teams experiment with pitching rotations the more those opportunities will pop up. As such I expect you'll see the numbers of combined no-hitters go up if those trends continue.

AudiOhm

Nolan Ryan...7 of them on his own...

A no hitter is a team effort no matter how you look at it.

Ryan struck out many, but still needed the fielders to make plays...

Ohms

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

Nolan Ryan...7 of them on his own...

A no hitter is a team effort no matter how you look at it.

Ryan struck out many, but still needed the fielders to make plays...

Ohms
TRUTH.

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

Any way you look at it, the Mets have exactly TWO no hitters, and I watched both of them on TV.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
They haven't lost a series yet this season. So I'm not suffering at the moment.

And I can always relish the fact that I don't have to support the Yankees.
A hotdog at Yankee Stadium costs $3.00 , but costs $7.00 at Citi Field.

The Mets better give you plenty of relish! :oops:

AudiOhm

If I am paying $7.00 for a dog, it better have the works...

Ohms

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I call nonsense to the nonsense conclusion.

Also, I said we'd need to look at the data more deeply, but it's not even CLOSE. And I stand by it.

After thinking about it for a bit, no hitters usually happen when the pitcher is having a very special day. He's just in the zone. It's that human thing we have no control of. Some days we're good, and some days we're crap.

But the moment you bring another pitcher in, the chances of him being in that unhittable magic zone are less likely. And the more pitchers you bring in, the odds lessen more that they'll all be in the zone
Utter nonsense. I pitched for 40+ years including college and semipro. Having one pitcher throw the entire game is WAY more difficult. You are speaking from ignorance

OP
Ricardus

Ricardus

Utter nonsense. I pitched for 40+ years including college and semipro. Having one pitcher throw the entire game is WAY more difficult. You are speaking from ignorance
Ah, so the numbers don't matter, and your "experience" does. This is a logical fallacy called APPEAL TO AUTHORITY. Here's a reference:

Sorry, you're on the wrong forum for this and homey don't play that game. This is a science forum. Perhaps you noticed the word in the title?

6% doesn't lie. Numbers don't lite. Etc...

I mean if it was 60/40 you might have a point, but it's LITERALLY 94% of the no hitters are with 1 pitcher and 6% are with more than 1 pitcher.

Sorry, your personal experience is of no value here.

Awaiting your retraction.

Top Bottom