• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barrie Gilbert RIP

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sadly, I was informed this morning of the death of Barrie Gilbert. Barrie was one of the very best analog designers on this planet, with a wonderful approach to very fundamental problems. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but his writings and lectures gave me an excellent education in electronics. Like the other true greats (Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Bob Widler...), Barrie has left the rest of us enormous wisdom on which to build.

Last edited:

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Sadly, I was informed this morning of the death of Barrie Gilbert. Barrie was one of the very best analog designers on this planet, with a wonderful approach to very fundamental problems. I never had the opportunity to meet him in person, but his writings and lectures gave me an excellent education in electronics. Like the other true greats (Jim Williams, Bob Pease, Bob Widler, Barrie Gilbert...), Barrie has left the rest of us enormous wisdom on which to build.

I used some of Barrie's ideas in 1969 in an EE lab project, I tried to make one of his trans-linear circuits that require tight matching and area ratioing with 3904's and 3906's. Needless to say it failed miserably. What a shock when he appeared at ADI in 1974 (because TEK wouldn't pay him!) we were friends until we both retired. I know he had lots of unfinished business like proper memoirs, the breath of his work is incomprehensible.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Wow, that is sad news. :( Looks like it happened on Thursday, hard to believe I missed seeing some notice.

I only met him a few times, once when we were both presenting papers and got to chat a bit, what an amazing breadth and depth of knowledge! His circuits guided a number of my designs since they were applicable to high-speed (RF/mW) linear circuits unlike a lot of high transistor-count op-amp type circuits.

Another legend passes.

R.I.P.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
Incredibly knowledgable and funny person:
Barrie Gilbert - The Penny Analog Computer

For me it's hard to watch this right now. I remember times when marketing folks would take Barrie to talk to customers and it didn't matter who they were or how important they were, he would not hesitate to tell that they don't know what they are doing and proceed to tell them in detail what they should be doing. This caused a lot of friction with the sales force.

Top Bottom