• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain? I'm tempted.

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own a pair of Tannoy Definition DC8T's and I really enjoy them [as an aside I won't let @amirm test them because I'm scared of the results, plus they're discontinued and weight a lot]. I specifically didn't get the DC10T's because they were too much speaker for my room, plus a little bit cheaper.

Now I see this on eBay . I never bothered looking at the DC10A's because they retailed at $16,000. Sure there were better speakers out there at the price (Revel Salon 2's come to mind), but now that they are discounted to $2,000 (plus free shipping) is this a fantastic bargain?

Sadly I wasn't in the market for a new pair of floorstanders until I came across this while searching for subwoofers (eBay either has really bad search or really good search, I can't figure out which).

Interested in people who can talk me out of this purchase more than people who can talk me into it.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
If it's the Musictribe listing, they now say 'zero available, 5 sold' - so no need to be talked out of it

OP
SimpleTheater

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone ever heard the 10A's? I can't stop thinking that I'm missing out on a deal of a lifetime.

tuga

Major Contributor
You've probably seen this before but Hi-Fi World has performed basic measurements of your DC8Ts and they seen to do well if we ignore the pronounced (narrowband?) dip in the upper-midrange:

vtAfrHc.gif

W4egKWB.jpg

https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index.php/loudspeakers/65-reviews/387-tannoy-dc8t-march-12-issue.html

Erik

The following graphs are from Stereoplay magazine.

Tannoy DC8T frequency response.
1586867257400.png

Tannoy DC10T frequency response.
1586867463100.png

Tannoy DC10A frequency response.
1586867370500.png

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Huh? Not really normally my jam, but man isn't funny how the price temps me...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone ever heard the 10A's? I can't stop thinking that I'm missing out on a deal of a lifetime.
Yes, "no longer available" so you missed out. YOU SCREWED UP!!!! There will never ever be such a good deal again and life is scarcely worth living! Dump all your equipment, henceforth listen only to slightly mistuned handheld AM radio as penance!
[note: jeez I'm glad that item ended, I would have been too silly tempted...]

Tom C

Major Contributor
Regretfully, just seeing this now, nearly three years after the fact.
I have owned Tannoy Definition DC10A for about five years now. Tried to sell them a year ago, but was only offered $2K for them. I paid $7K (used), so didn’t sell. Now I know why, if they were selling this low at recent close out.
I decided to try to make the best of them. One problem is that they don’t have enough output below about 125Hz. Subs helped a lot. I found the matching Definition subs on close out at about $2K each, bought a pair. They are dual opposed 12” drivers, and the output is really nice. But they have the most annoying hum/buzz when first switched on. After a minute the hum reduces in level, but you can still hear it. Bummer.
Now, the system can get pretty loud, in a very satisfying way, but past a point, the tweeter distortion starts to become objectionable. Not so satisfying. I speculate that it may be the compression driver plus horn combo of the tweeter. Anyway, not my dream system. Of course, at lower volume they sound pretty good, and image well when properly set up
They look really nice, with a fine cherry furniture finish. I told my wife I was buying matching subwoofers for the bedroom system, but it didn’t click in her brain until she saw them in real life. Once she laid eyes on the set, she wanted to put them in the living room and replace the speaker pair that had been her favorite. Based on looks. My cat loves them too.
But the sound is not the best. After years and $$$ of experience and learning, sometimes the hard way, I feel I may finally be getting some idea of how to put a system together. If I were doing it over, and I plan to at some point, I think I would go Revel F208 with sub, something like Rythmik F18, in gloss black, crossed at 125Hz. The F208’s have remarkable measurements. That would be a killer system.

Top Bottom