• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain Hunting

• Thread starter Deleted member 60987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 60987

I've been trying out a lot of headphones and found some bargains. But the price often goes up when something is underpriced. For example the ATH M20X sound closer to the M50X than the M30X and M40X so they sell out in stores and the price goes up online. And I've noticed things going up for Superlux, which always deliver amazing sound for the price, so I assume even their $35 ones sound very good. Apparently made in Japan, not China. These are a steal at this price for what you get because they are twice that on Amazon and like the Superlux https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Superlux sound like headphones 2 or 3 times the price: https://reverb.com/item/39894766-ro...with-detachable-coil-cable-case-extra-ear-pad
Basically you will always pay for popular tried and tested brands like Sony, Sennheiser AKG and Audio Technica, though AKG definitely throws you some good deals. I'm tempted to get more Superlux since they are undervalued. Plus in all honesty, I have a slight bias towards brightness and clarity, though I do like some bass. And my choices are based largely on neutrality being a musician and recording engineer. That said, some headphones are flat and boring. Some are flat and immersive. For example, I got Sennheiser 599s and hated them. Were they comfortable and smooth? Yes. But with no clarity or brightness. They sounded like one wide midrange to me. Or a speaker with a towel thrown over it. But I can see the appeal. Very smooth and easy to listen to for extended periods. But like I said, I get them for recording. Must have 8 different pairs now and Philips SPH 9500 coming tomorrow. But for me, I look at neutrality specs and prices. As well as read Amazon reviews of what people think of the sound or build. For example the Superlux are pretty cheap builds. But use 50mm drivers and are generally very good. What bargains do you know of? https://www.querytools.net/Images/HeadphoneNeutrality.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

markanini

Major Contributor
Hunting bargains doesn't always lead to the best outcomes, stuff gets gets marked down for a reason, excess inventory, lower than projected sales. Better to start with deciding on what you need first, then you can usually find products known to perform well for their price, and if you're lucky open box deals, or discontinuation mark-downs. But also factor in the loss of warranty on some deals.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Hunting bargains doesn't always lead to the best outcomes, stuff gets gets marked down for a reason, excess inventory, lower than projected sales. Better to start with deciding on what you need first, then you can usually find products known to perform well for their price, and if you're lucky open box deals, or discontinuation mark-downs. But also factor in the loss of warranty on some deals.
They wouldn't call it hunting if it did. But if people are aware of good values, like Superlux headphones, for example, other people can benefit from the tip. What speakers are underpriced? Are there other headphones that are a steal, being comparable to cans 2 or 3 times the cost. That is the point of discussing it. What's overpriced? What doesn't seem to follow the charts description of them? Are they always right or does padding, tightness, or isolation seem to contradict what the charts imply?

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

Are OneOdio any good? I wish they would do a report on RTINGS.com with charts on it, because Amazon keeps shoving them in my face like a Taylor Swift story. I don't trust headphone ratings on Amazon. ALL OF THEM get 4 and a half stars. Apparently there are no ****** headphones according to Amazon users. I could think of a few.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

High score, low price according to this: https://www.spinorama.org/ And of course vice versa.
All of them? I had M-Audio and wasn't impressed. Got some Mackie and Presonus instead. Then Rokits. I prefer the Presonus to Mackie but the Rokit 5 gen 4 definitely can throw out more bass than some bookshelf speakers with that port

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

These are an absolute steal. Haven't seen the charts on them but they remind me of MDR 7506. Comfortable, flat, but still immersive enough not to be boring

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

All of them? I had M-Audio and wasn't impressed. Got some Mackie and Presonus instead. Then Rokits. I prefer the Presonus to Mackie but the Rokit 5 gen 4 definitely can throw out more bass than some bookshelf speakers with that port
Those look like sound reinforcement speakers for live bands or DJs. Stage monitors, PA speakers, etc. The metal grills are the tipoff they are for being lugged around and taking abuse, bouncing around a van.

OP
D

Deleted member 60987

I think part of the reason you can get good deals is the crossovers. They might use cheap parts but if they hired the people who made 800s or 702s they know how to make them work. Or you might get inexperienced people with really good ears. I think they regret some of their choices like the M20X. They made them too good for the price. They sell out in music stores and Amazon winds up jacking up the price. But they probably cut into M40X sales. I don't know who bus M30X. I listened to a bunch in Guitar Center and the M20s sounded closer to the M50Xs than the M30Xs and M40Xs.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget there's a thread for posting deals here at:

Top Bottom