• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
So...we did our $20 dac tests: http://www.audiosciencereview.com/f...view-and-measurements-of-budget-20-dacs.1316/

They unfortunately came up short. Like to see more candidates for low cost DACs to see if we can find a jewel in there. What all have you run into that like to see measured? I hear about Teac but their 503 retails for $1,000 which is very high. Are there recommended DACs below say, $300?

The HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro, except for a bit of IMD weirdness on 16bit, otherwise measures very competitively.

$44.90 from HiFiBerry.

But if you want a standalone DAC, the TEAC UD-301 is dual-mono, balanced, and has a street price of about $300.

It doesn't have the adjustable filters or dual toroids (only 1) or upgraded headphone amp of the UD-501 and UD-503. It has fewer inputs than the 501 and doesn't have a preamp like the 503.

But as a basic DAC it's really hard to beat. I've heard it next to the Emotiva stealth and personally preferred it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
But if you want a standalone DAC, the TEAC UD-301 is dual-mono, balanced, and has a street price of about $300.
Yeh I saw that and was tempted to buy it but wanted to make sure it was one that folks considered. A lot of talk about Teac is around the 501.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
http://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/dacs-0

Emotiva Big Ego ($219) and Little EGo ($99) would be nice to see measured. Widely available from a somewhat established maker. 32 bit 384 khz DAC chips in use. 3 digital filter options on both. The Big Ego won an award from Home Theater/High Fidelity last year.

Looks like they are discontinuing the little Ego however.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Yeh I saw that and was tempted to buy it but wanted to make sure it was one that folks considered. A lot of talk about Teac is around the 501.

There is a lot of talk about the 501, but Archimago did so many posts on it that I think it's pretty well scrutinized at this point.

Plus, the 501 is out of production now.

There are several informal review threads where people say that the 301 is "90% of the 501" etc. But I've yet to see one with measurements. So any effort would be adding to the body of knowledge.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
http://emotiva.com/products/emotiva/dacs-0

Emotiva Big Ego ($219) and Little EGo ($99) would be nice to see measured. Widely available from a somewhat established maker. 32 bit 384 khz DAC chips in use. 3 digital filter options on both. The Big Ego won an award from Home Theater/High Fidelity last year.

Looks like they are discontinuing the little Ego however.

I guess @amirm also needs to decide if we're touching "mobile" DACs or "stationary" DACs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looked into them and right now I am leaning toward Teac. Like to have something with Coax input besides USB. And ideally something that supports high sample rate/DSD for future testing. The only knock against the Teac is the much higher cost.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looked into them and right now I am leaning toward Teac. Like to have something with Coax input besides USB. And ideally something that supports high sample rate/DSD for future testing. The only knock against the Teac is the much higher cost.

Were you thinking of the 301 or the 503?

FWIW, the 503 is the first DAC I've seen that supports DSD over coax and optical.

Top Bottom