• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

tential

I'll be surprised if it's that inexpensive.
It's already being sold at that price(penonaudio) . We have to test it to see if it's worth. It is balanced though which isn't typical of these devices. I'm excited.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's already being sold at that price(penonaudio) . We have to test it to see if it's worth. It is balanced though which isn't typical of these devices. I'm excited.

I just saw on their site a couple of minutes ago. It's $52. I'm surprised.

zeropoint

Anyone interested in this AC-Q3 (DAC-Q3 Pro?) DAC/HPA, based on MS8412(CS8416+ES7144LV)+SA9023+NE5532x2+97220?

Available here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-Q3-DA...lifier-Hifi-Audio-Amp-USB-3-5mm/283544832549?

Price: around £25

Some specs:

Headphone amplifier output maximum power: 90mW / 32 ohms
Color: Black / Silver (Optional)
Power supply: DC5V1A
Frequency response range: 20Hz-20kHz (±3dB)
Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR): ≥105dB
Treble adjustment range: ±6dB
Bass adjustment range: ±6dB
Sampling rate: USB-24bit/96kHz, Coaxial/Optical-24bit/192kHz
Control mode: tact switch + potentiometer knob
Input interface: fiber / coaxial; PC-USB
Output interface: gold-plated for RCA; 3.5MM headphone jack

Attachments

• DAC-Q3 Pro 7.jpg
    DAC-Q3 Pro 7.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,310
  • DAC-Q3 Pro 2 pcb.jpg
    DAC-Q3 Pro 2 pcb.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 2,376
Last edited:

sajunky

Rather wait for DC-02, SE version. It is already on taobao.
Otherwise you might end carrying up two converter plugs on both sides of the device.

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Why? It looks quite expensive for what it is; a USB DAC dongle.
Well, it's a usb dac dongle with a close to top of the line dac, it's higher powered than usual, and has a balanced output. That's a lot for $50. On the other hand, the DC02 looks to be the same price, but has significantly lower specs.

CuteStudio

Hi All,

I'm making a 2nd HiFi system in a spare room and the current setup is an Lenovo 7" Android Tablet as source, with an OTG connection to a cheap SPDIF converter that happens to have a 3.5mm headphone output.

This unbranded DAC sounds way better than it really should and than I'd expected, but as this is HiFi I was wondering if there was a £20-ish step-up to something much/even better - any ideas?

So they key things are a) Works with Android and b) best value for around £20. Therefore I was wondering if anyone had done a similar thing and found any gems?!

TIA!

sajunky

Well it has an AK4493 inside. So not that high marketed a price, I mean look at the god-awful AQ cobalt and how high that one is priced lol.
Well, they are targeting audiophile weaknesses, many companies built a fortune from this type. This is in conjunction with a prediction (or a pure conspiracy) that streaming companies will promote sales. In fact, when you visit these websites you will notice that it is already in place.

CuteStudio

This is the DAC I found to sound rather nice:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-PCM27...Decoder-Board-Aluminum-case-F2W6/143235794494

Not too pricey, PCM2704 based, works with Android, not too large and like all good Hifi comes in a brushed aluminium case. Having read a bit about it I'm not sure there is an easy step up, I'd probably be into the £50-100 region quickly and be wondering if it would still work with Android (and Pi).

Veri

Master Contributor
This is the DAC I found to sound rather nice:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-PCM27...Decoder-Board-Aluminum-case-F2W6/143235794494

Not too pricey, PCM2704 based, works with Android, not too large and like all good Hifi comes in a brushed aluminium case. Having read a bit about it I'm not sure there is an easy step up, I'd probably be into the £50-100 region quickly and be wondering if it would still work with Android (and Pi).
Just an idea but staying in the same vein, PCM1796 based? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32679100296.html sbaf review here
The 1796 has much better specs/SNR. But if your current DAC sounds good to you and is android compatible hassle-free not sure it's worth buying a new one of course :)

sajunky

The same Nobsound (Douk Audio), similar design, but with 8x TDA1387 DAC chips, headphone amp with volume control and S/PDIF output. Price not much higher, at $42 it is a real bargain.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897584383.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881225029.html

Due to the disappointment with Topping D30, I ordered one. Interface chip is C-media CM108. DAC portion is not used and fried on the photo :) CM108 is using adaptive mode... will see... Volume control is built in the chip (compliant with UAC 1.0), but it shows on the block diagram after a DAC - which is bypassed - so very likely there will be no volume control at all on the RCA line output terminals. :facepalm:

There is only one clock device 12MHz, good for 48kHz sampling, but not the same for 44.1kHz, so I will be probably resampling all material to 48kHz in Foobar. On the positive side, I see in the datasheet, CM108 is oversampling 8x. Secondly, TDA1387 chips, total 8x in parallel give a good reason for a passive I/F conversion and a simple RC anti-imaging RC filter.

In summary, a DAC portion is why I bought it. If not happy with the interface chip, it will be easy to mod with one of XMOS USB module (and convert it to NOS with up to 384kHz sampling rate). The output impedance (due to the passive output stage) is expected slightly above 1kOhm, not very good for the IcePower 125ASX2 module, but perfect for FX-Audio FX502S Pro.
Nobsound_8xTDA1387.jpg

Last edited:

andrewch

Thank you @amirm for the XtremPro X1 review. A friend suggested it and after some reading I ordered. It's available in my country but unfortunately not available everywhere.

What is on par with XtremPro X1 that can be ordered from AliExpress?

Is this below any good? I couldn't find any reviews.

US $20.39 | SA9023A + ES9018K2M USB portable DAC HIFI fever external amplifier audio card decoder for Computer Android Set Box A6-017
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/qTKvN4TO

It's the best selling USB portable DAC below $50 on AliExpress.

Starcraft

The same Nobsound (Douk Audio), similar design, but with 8x TDA1387 DAC chips, headphone amp with volume control and S/PDIF output. Price not much higher, at $42 it is a real bargain.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32897584383.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32881225029.html

Due to the disappointment with Topping D30, I ordered one. Interface chip is C-media CM108. DAC portion is not used and fried on the photo :) CM108 is using adaptive mode... will see... Volume control is built in the chip (compliant with UAC 1.0), but it shows on the block diagram after a DAC - which is bypassed - so very likely there will be no volume control at all on the RCA line output terminals. :facepalm:

There is only one clock device 12MHz, good for 48kHz sampling, but not the same for 44.1kHz, so I will be probably resampling all material to 48kHz in Foobar. On the positive side, I see in the datasheet, CM108 is oversampling 8x. Secondly, TDA1387 chips, total 8x in parallel give a good reason for a passive I/F conversion and a simple RC anti-imaging RC filter.

In summary, a DAC portion is why I bought it. If not happy with the interface chip, it will be easy to mod with one of XMOS USB module (and convert it to NOS with up to 384kHz sampling rate). The output impedance (due to the passive output stage) is expected slightly above 1kOhm, not very good for the IcePower 125ASX2 module, but perfect for FX-Audio FX502S Pro.
View attachment 31525
Mau I ask why the disapointment with the topping D30?

It rocks almost every dac I have heard.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Urban Dictionary will tell you. There are several definitions to choose from.
I looked it up. o_O It bothers me that your aware of such a obscure sex reference. :facepalm: LOL

Top Bottom