• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

dheepak10

Nobsound TDA1387 NOS DAC/AMP.
AliExpress Link

I am yet to try it, but folks I know have loved its DAC tonality. The amp portion is said to be powerful as well and replacing the existing Op-amp with OPA2156 is said to do wonders to the high frequencies.

guenthi_r

Stumbled upon Douk Audio, don't know if they were mentioned yet.
Especially the 2017 Douk Audio HiFi Mini PCM5102 and the 2018 DSD 1796 would be interesting for me.

Got an DSD1796 for 39 Eur and listening every day now to decide love or hate the device ;)
Bad things are, the line-out level is only 1V and you have to powering the device with an external 5v supply.
Soundwise, its very clean, detailed. Compared to my other DACs a little bit thin.

Last edited:

Tim6622

Here are some chinese dacs that have peaked my interest before. If any come close to the gustard x20 or smsl su 8 that would be awesome.
ES9038Q2M dac 1 $78

WM8740-DIR9001 dac ~$50 that this guy reviewed https://www.musicservertips.com/product-reviews/usb-dac-diy/

SU 7 dac ~$86

R-042 SU1 Pro USB DAC $141

Q9 ES9038PRO dac board(looks like the most robust out of all the es9038pro chinese dacs)

Geekworm Raspberry Pi X20 HiFi Audio Kit US$124.08-131.23

AK4490 or ak4493 AK4118 DAC ~$60

Finished Hi-end PCM1794 DAC with beefy power supply

CS4398 + CS8416 USB DAC with measurements by seller? (included two samples) EBay link here
HTB1SQIOLVXXXXasXXXXq6xXFXXXf.jpg

HTB1qOILLVXXXXcTXXXXq6xXFXXXE.jpg

Last edited:

Sasha

Maybe something of a leftfield suggestion, a 2nd hand MOTU 2408mk3 is a pretty good buy. The Audio Diffmaker tests on Gearslutz put the DAC/ADC up with some crazy priced stuff....

I picked one up on eBay for around £80 a while back without realising it needs a special MOTU PCI card to function properly (the FireWire connection at the rear isn't actually FireWire) but it's still come in handy - I use it in standalone mode as a DAC and it takes a coaxial S/P-DIF input at 24/96 and jets it out to all four stereo outputs simultaneously, so I send one stereo out to my mains another to my passive sub amp.

Would be interesting to know how it performs against modern competitors...

Tim6622

That looks like a very unique layout for 9038Pro board. Never seen that before but its ridiculously expensive though.
This seller "QingDanYuan " is one of the more interesting Chinese audio product sellers. Unlike copying similar products from other Chinese dac designs, they seem to focus on implementing dacs with"parallel/symmetrical " power delivery (some with seperate transformers on each lane) on thier PCB boards designs. At least that what they advertise; I'm not sure if it would matter but it is interesting. Even on their lowend dacs like this QD1 TDA1387 Parallel HIFI USB decoder DAC ~$40 advertise it. "Parallel Class A power supply to analog output channels, low noise, strong drive" or similar descriptions is in almost all their products . Perhaps someone more knowledgeable with PCB designs can clarify this more.

Some other dacs they have that are cheaper(and already assembled) than the "Q9" with their parallel layouts. the Q8 Ver2.2(~$200) , Q4(~$250) , QD18 ~$90

Edit: never mind, this is actually common throughout all those es9038pro/ak4497eq dacs

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Not sure about their other stuff but this 9038PRO layout is completely unique amongst DIY board and chinese DACs in general. I have seen perhaps only 2 other board designs that are not from the internationally kniwn makes which are unique. But both are not available as boards as far as I have searched. One was a dual chip design that was asking for as much as the Gustard X26. The other is a reasonably priced single chip one that actually provides for the space and through-hole to mount a heat sink / EMI. Shield over the ESS chip.

But that asking price is over the top, i can get a complete Dual- 9038PRO set ( not that it will actually be better ) for about US$60 more. And that will have BT 5.0 to boot.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Maybe something of a leftfield suggestion, a 2nd hand MOTU 2408mk3 is a pretty good buy. The Audio Diffmaker tests on Gearslutz put the DAC/ADC up with some crazy priced stuff....

I picked one up on eBay for around £80 a while back without realising it needs a special MOTU PCI card to function properly (the FireWire connection at the rear isn't actually FireWire) but it's still come in handy - I use it in standalone mode as a DAC and it takes a coaxial S/P-DIF input at 24/96 and jets it out to all four stereo outputs simultaneously, so I send one stereo out to my mains another to my passive sub amp.

Would be interesting to know how it performs against modern competitors...
So how about buying it and have it drop shipped to me for testing? A number of folks have done this to good effect.

Sasha

So how about buying it and have it drop shipped to me for testing? A number of folks have done this to good effect.

I do have a few things I'd be interested to see tested - Naim Uniti Atom, TC Electronics BMC-2, the Arkless Electronics modified Cambridge Audio 651p - but I'm in the UK.

I'll keep an eye out for a cheap MOTU on eBay US just in case though. ;)

Veri

Master Contributor
Got an DSD1796 for 39 Eur and listening every day now to decide love or hate the device ;)
Bad things are, the line-out level is only 1V and you have to powering the device with an external 5v supply.
Soundwise, its very clean, detailed. Compared to my other DACs a little bit thin.
How do you like it still? I looked at ali and there sure are a lot of these kind of devices and its clones
-Douk audio DSD1796
-Same thing but with 3xTCXO option
-Same thing but AK4490 version
-Douk audio DSD1796 desktop version
-Same thing but with upgrade option
Most take simple 5V input. I wonder if any are good :D

Nobsound TDA1387 NOS DAC/AMP. AliExpress Link I am yet to try it, but folks I know have loved its DAC tonality. The amp portion is said to be powerful as well and replacing the existing Op-amp with OPA2156 is said to do wonders to the high frequencies.
This one is also cool. TDA1387.. 0.003% THD at best. But it looks kinda cute!

Last edited:

guenthi_r

How do you like it still? I looked at ali and there sure are a lot of these kind of devices and its clones
-Douk audio DSD1796
-Same thing but with 3xTCXO option
-Same thing but AK4490 version
-Douk audio DSD1796 desktop version
-Same thing but Leaf audio upgrade option
Most take simple 5V input. I wonder if any are good :D

This one is also cool. TDA1387.. 0.003% THD at best. But it looks kinda cute!

Whoops, dont recognize your post.... ;)
My Douk DSD1796 gone bad, the XMOS-Chip gets always VERY hot!
Placed an Heatsink on top of the XMOS, but again very hot.
I think this XMOS is near dead.

Soundwise, i like the "natural" Sound compared to other DACs.
Further, the Mono-Sound is very good (i hate DACs, feeded with Mono-Signal and you can hear both Speakers equal instead the Signal in the middle of the Speakers.
(Sorry, english is not my native Language...)

Veri

Master Contributor
Whoops, dont recognize your post.... ;)
My Douk DSD1796 gone bad, the XMOS-Chip gets always VERY hot!
Placed an Heatsink on top of the XMOS, but again very hot.
I think this XMOS is near dead.

Oh, no :oops::eek:

Top Bottom