• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I guess lol

I wonder if the chinese brands know and they do it on purpose.

Oh, I doubt it's on purpose.

My favorite example of Chinese audio branding gone wrong is luxury tube maker Psvane.

2PCS-New-Psvane-Vacuum-Tube-Acme-300B-805-2A3-211-845-274B-Matched-Pair-Electron-Tube.jpg

Apparently when they first started out, they were trying to name the product "Pavane", after the classical Baroque period dance.

But the first big batch of products got mislabeled, and rather than just chucking the order out or demanding a redo, they just changed the name to match the goof up and have been stuck with it ever since.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Oh, I doubt it's on purpose.

My favorite example of Chinese audio branding gone wrong is luxury tube maker Psvane.

2PCS-New-Psvane-Vacuum-Tube-Acme-300B-805-2A3-211-845-274B-Matched-Pair-Electron-Tube.jpg

Apparently when they first started out, they were trying to name the product "Pavane", after the classical Baroque period dance.

But the first big batch of products got mislabeled, and rather than just chucking the order out or demanding a redo, they just changed the name to match the goof up and have been stuck with it ever since.
lmao.... makes sense for many chinese brands. There is no way they can afford to redo the batch because the margins are too low.

Rijimiriru

Can anyone recommend me a DAC to use with my PC?
I will mostly be using it to listen to music, play games and watch movies.
My speakers are some very old Creative labs ones which I might be upgrading to something more decent soon.
The headphones I use are BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm.

I'm looking to spend up to 100euros, preferably less.

Veri

Master Contributor
Can anyone recommend me a DAC to use with my PC?
I will mostly be using it to listen to music, play games and watch movies.
My speakers are some very old Creative labs ones which I might be upgrading to something more decent soon.
The headphones I use are BeyerDynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm.

I'm looking to spend up to 100euros, preferably less.
If you want a dac+headamp and want to spend less than 100 euro, I'm afraid you won't find much if anything of considerable quality..

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
Hmmm..Well, for a DAC, you could use the $9 Apple dongle. Look at the review here on ASR. For the amp, less than ideal, but a Topping NX3s should be ok with your 80ohm DT770. $55 here on US Amazon:

Topping NX3s Portable Headphone Amplifier OPA2140 LME49720 USB Bass Gain HiFi Digital Audio Power Amplifier(Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J68NVYY/

Rijimiriru

What does a headphone amp do exactly? I thought I only needed a DAC for better sound quality.

Veri

Master Contributor
What does a headphone amp do exactly? I thought I only needed a DAC for better sound quality.
A DAC without an amp can't drive headphone or speaker unless your speakers are of the powered/volume control kind.

A DAC just converts digital like USB to sound: analog signal. Generally to a line level, ready for amplification.

Many times the word 'dac' is used for a dac+amp though.

Veri

Master Contributor
I see, thanks for the clarification.
So it seems I need a dac with a built-in amp then :)
Yep :) on 11/11 there's single's day biggest sales time in China, you could buy a Topping DX3 which seems to be ideal for your use case. The Topping DX3 on 11/11 is $197.99 instead of $219.99, you could get $3 new customer discount and $10 11/11 discount, $8 off every $150 spent, so looking at around $175. Still a lot more than your budget..

OR like @Cahudson42 says you could get a $9 apple usb-c adapter, a 3.5mm interconnect cable and use as amp a Topping NX3S ($69,99 from amazon) or a JDS Atom (around $100). The apple usb-c is just fine, but you could later upgrade it to something else should you be so inclined... The atom also has a pre-amp function for speakers which is pretty cool.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You could start with a Fiio K3 (or an E10K), you then have the option to upgrade the amp or DAC later (I started with the K3, then upgrade to a JDS Atom amp and then upgraded the DAC to a Topping D50s).

Note sure where you're located, but the K3 is under 100EUR in several local Amazon sites... https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/fiio k3

Last edited:

Rijimiriru

Thanks! That Fiio K3 sounds like a good idea and it's around my budget.
I presume the sound will sound a lot better with it than just plugging my headphones into my soundcard?
Will it also work with my desktop speakers?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks! That Fiio K3 sounds like a good idea and it's around my budget.
I presume the sound will sound a lot better with it than just plugging my headphones into my soundcard?
Will it also work with my desktop speakers?

It sounds *a lot* better than the on-board sound on my Gigabyte motherboard. The K3 has a volume controlled Line Out on the back that you can plug your Creative Labs speakers into. Note that the K3 will output to both headphone and line output simultaneously, so you need to manage the volume when plugging in headphones or switching on speakers.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the k3 has a weak amp when powerung single ended headphones. if you can stretch your budget for the k5 pro as a desktop not portable amp, i think you'll be happier

Top Bottom