• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

D

Deleted member 65

Sorry, not a bargain DAC ...

upload_2017-3-3_17-11-44.png

D

Deleted member 65

I am interested! :)

Sorry to hijack Bargain DAC thread, been a member of Massdrop for a while. As European citizen it's not such a great bargain considering shipping & various taxes. However if you reside in the US there's some bargains to be made as well as proposals for gears.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
what aggravation....

I have the hardware and tried to test Modi 2 and Origen+. Neither one of them installs the drivers. Modi 2 limps along with standard Windows driver so it is kind of usable. But its own driver package keeps complaining that it doesn't see the "CMEDIA 2.0 device." The OriGen+ installs but does nothing and the device does not show up in device manager or sound control panel.

Meanwhile the iFi iDAC2 driver has stopped working too! Windows complains that the driver is not installed correctly.

No amount of rebooting, reinstalling and turning off driver signing is helping.

What a disaster. Am wondering if this is all Windows 10 anniversary issues or installation of previous drivers for the other cheap dacs.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
what aggravation....

I have the hardware and tried to test Modi 2 and Origen+. Neither one of them installs the drivers. Modi 2 limps along with standard Windows driver so it is kind of usable. But its own driver package keeps complaining that it doesn't see the "CMEDIA 2.0 device." The OriGen+ installs but does nothing and the device does not show up in device manager or sound control panel.

Meanwhile the iFi iDAC2 driver has stopped working too! Windows complains that the driver is not installed correctly.

What a disaster. Am wondering if this is all Windows 10 anniversary issues or installation of previous drivers for the other cheap dacs.

Just checking, but did you remember to use the driver install procedure on the Origen website and not the one in the manual?

Finally, man you really need to get away from Windows for audio. I guess for audio Chromebooks are worst. Then Windows/Android in a tie. Linux and Mac are much nicer. Sorry Amir.

At least you could download a Linux Distro for some of your Windows hardware. Maybe Ubuntu Studio would be a good choice. Haven't used Ubuntu Studio in a couple years though myself.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Want I send you a installable Live DVD of my Linux build?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Finally, man you really need to get away from Windows for audio. I guess for audio Chromebooks are worst. Then Windows/Android in a tie. Linux and Mac are much nicer. Sorry Amir.
I am testing these using my everyday laptop so that I can process the results easily in Photoshop, etc. And the Audio Precision software is also exclusively Windows.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just checking, but did you remember to use the driver install procedure on the Origen website and not the one in the manual?
Yes but I just looked again and realized it installs under a different name! ("VIA") I will have to try it again tomorrow when my stress level goes down. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am testing these using my everyday laptop so that I can process the results easily in Photoshop, etc. And the Audio Precision software is also exclusively Windows.

Well I have a Win 10 laptop because my USB recording interfaces are only fully functional with Mac or Windows. I don't like Mac so Windows it is for that.

Otherwise there is a workable Linux solution for nearly everything else. And while not known to me earlier there actually are recording interfaces that would work with linux, just not the ones I already have. I do have REW and my Umik1 functional on linux, and Reaper which is my preferred DAW.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I still don't understand why Linux and Mac can do USB audio with no extra drivers, but Windows doesn't.
I find it interesting with my Linux distro I've been able to read and write to my Windoz Fat32 or NTFS file-system installs automatically for many years now. Yet even my latest build of Windoz 10 still can't see my Linux EXT3 or 4 partitions without the install of some buggy 3th party software.

D

Deleted member 65

Well counting you and me that makes like a billion of us I suppose.

It'll finally happen, MS support of UAC 2.0, now part of the Windows Insider program. To be released this year, maybe in next major Windows 10 upgrade.

upload_2017-3-11_15-50-54.png

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what aggravation....

Download the Schiit Cmedia installer. That should get it for you.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Download the Schiit Cmedia installer. That should get it for you.
I downloaded and ran their installation package. It the Cmedia installer something else? I did a quick google but can't find anything like that.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Any luck with these Amir?

I did see where the Origen+ uses a VIA VT1736 USB 2.0 High Speed 480Mbps audio controller chip not Cmedia. Claims it will work over ASIO or WASAPI. Maybe try ASIO4ALL?

I also saw this: https://www.miccatron.com/faqs/micca-origen-does-not-install-not-recognized-by-computer/ Defective USB cables with some recent units. Power on the DAC, but it will not be seen by the computer. Sort of sounds like your problem. Did you then use this cable on the other DAC too?

Finally though less convenient these should work with an Android phone or tablet over an OTG cable.

On the Modi 2 did you try the generation two drivers for Windows 10?
https://schiit.com/drivers
There also is a Schiit ASIO package you can download at the very bottom of the page.
Plus some report that the Schiit doesn't work with USB 3.0 cables only USB 2.0 cables for some reason.

I know you probably did all this and you know more about such than I do. Just hoping if something did get skipped asking about it might jog your memory. So please don't get irritated by my nagging questions. They aren't meant to imply you are incompetent.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have not had time to get back to it tonight. But keep the suggestions coming. Saves me time running around the web. :)

On Cmedia it is a problem with Modi 2. I only tried the latest package. The cable I used is what came with iFi iDAC2 so I assume it is USB 2.0.

Top Bottom