• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

mindbomb

Yes, a few arrived. I had to spend time on the loaner player first because of the time limit on them. Which are anxious to see? Maybe I will do the Objective DAC.
Jdslabs seems like they are replacing the odac with a newer model called the ol dac. I'm interested to see how they compare and if either has the usb performance issues of the schiit modi.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would like to see both the E10K and the ODAC rev. B! Both use the very same DAC chip (PCM5102), but the E10K is cheaper and has a whole headphone amp and SPDIF out to boot. I wonder if the ODAC's higher price is justified.
OK, I will do that comparison. Have to go to eye doctor today to make sure I can continue to read these posts. :D After that, I will compare these two.

mindbomb

What is the timing for that?
I don't know, but with the ol dac being cheaper and having better performance on paper , I don't see the purpose of the odac rev b.

Last edited:

sssn

I actually have another interesting DAC worth measuring: The HiFiMeDIY 9018 DAC!
https://hifimediy.com/Sabre-9018-DAC

It's used by many people who want a non-nonsense DAC. It also drives headphones decently (4.7 Ohm output impedance though), according to the description and reviews.

The description is very technical and makes HiFiMeDIY at least seem competent. Would be nice to know if they deliver. The predecessor using the ES 9023 chip, is also very popular.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Foli

On Massdrop there are the:

Massdrop x Grace Design Standard DAC (last time for $79.99)
Massdrop O2 + SDAC DAC/Amp (last time for $150)

Unfortunately both drops are inactive at the current time, but one might keep an eye on them.

Apparently Massdrop reached out to Grace Design after Massdrop could not offer ODACs anymore (allegedly for pricing reasons). Grace Design shared some technical details here.

(One needs to be registered at Massdrop to read these posts.)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
On Massdrop there are the:

Massdrop x Grace Design Standard DAC (last time for $79.99)
Massdrop O2 + SDAC DAC/Amp (last time for $150)

Unfortunately both drops are inactive at the current time, but one might keep an eye on them.
Thanks and welcome to the forum. I requested them but don't understand what good that does when there are this many people already have done the same:

upload_2017-11-22_15-22-52.png

mindbomb

Massdrop gave a review sample to head fi. I think the next time they have it for sale, they can give you one for review.

The issue with that dac is that the topping d30 is only slightly more and seems like it would have much better power delivery.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It has a pretty limited sample rate max of 96 Khz in this day and age. Then again it has a tube so may be worth testing. Please ask me again in January about it. I have too many products yet left to test and way in the hole money wise. :)

Last edited:

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think a lot of people will be interested how good (or bad) the ubiquitous Realtek audio outputs on a modern day PC motherboard will be under the AP microscope.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think a lot of people will be interested how good (or bad) the ubiquitous Realtek audio outputs on a modern day PC motherboard will be under the AP microscope.

They will be atrocious, as bad or worse than even the Schittiest DAC. Most of us at ASR probably find them useful only for "utility" purposes.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sure. Let me see what "CODEC" chip they use in my desktop. My laptop uses IDT which has pretty respectable output in my measurements.

sssn

My motherboard (MSI Z270 SLI PLUS) with ALC1220 codec measures really well in RMAA. But it's just RMAA.

Anyway, one huge issue is that every motherboard has a different implementation of a Realtek codec/chip. Performance varies very widely, even of similar motherboards with the same chip.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Anyway, one huge issue is that every motherboard has a different implementation of a Realtek codec/chip. Performance varies very widely, even of similar motherboards with the same chip.
Very true. Hence the reason I am a fan of USB DAC. You buy a good one once and it should last you across many computers.

Top Bottom