• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

sssn

Fiio E10K (marketed mainly as a headphone amp, but has a dedicated lineout)
Behringer UCA202/222 (NwAvGuy measured it and liked it a lot)
ODAC (rev. B)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I usually welcome new members but you just cost me over $100 in having to order the first two DACs. :D

On Odac, whose implementation do I get? JDS Labs? If so, what was different in Rev B?

sssn

Sorry for being a rash new guy :(

Yes, JDS Labs is the best source for ODACs in the US.

ODAC rev. A uses the Sabre ESS9023 DAC chip. It was designed together with NwAvGuy back in '11 or so.

A few years later, after NwAvGuy was long gone), JDS Labs noticed there were problems with the ODAC in some cases. These were seemingly pretty rare, but they still felt the need to make a revision based on the TI PCM5102. It has the same form factor and measures slightly better, according to JDS Labs themselves. Here is the relevant blog post from them: http://blog.jdslabs.com/?p=1003/releasing-odac-revb/

If you feel particularly inquisitive (and got a source for a rev. A ODAC), you might compare rev. A and rev. B even :D

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sssn

The picture is definitely of an older run of rev. As.
Though I'd wager you'll get a B since A was discontinued 2 years ago. It also says rev. B in the description. I guess the picture is just a placeholder.

neu01

fx audio dac-x6
smsl m3
sabaj d3
smsl b1

I personally own the dac-x6, so am curious how it performs. They are all dac/amps that feature line out, all very similar in price and features. They are all also readily available outside of the US, so any one can buy one on amazon/aliexpress/ebay.

ps. If you decide to test them, can you measure the output impedance of the amps as well? :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Hey, hey, hey! There is $400 worth of DACs there! :) Prioritize them and I may buy one or two.

And yes, I will be working on proper headphone amp testing and will add impedance test to it.

neu01

Hey, hey, hey! There is $400 worth of DACs there! :) Prioritize them and I may buy one or two.

And yes, I will be working on proper headphone amp testing and will add impedance test to it.

Then the Dac-x6, if possible. I just want to know how the Dac-x6 performs seeing as I own one :)

I was curious about the smsl B1 being that it features bluetooth as well. But it seems to only feature bluetooth input.

Last edited:

neu01

OK, I ordered those two. As a result, for the rest of the week I am down to bread and water for lunches to save up! :D

Wow that was quick! sorry I should have done more research. The smsl B1 is only bluetooth input, unlike the others which all have usb/spdif/coax inputs. It's a bit deceptive just going by the pictures, until you read the specs.

Hope it's not too late to cancel :oops:

HTB1gF1uifBNTKJjSszeq6Au2VXav.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

sssn

Hate to be pushy, but didn't any of the other DACs you ordered arrive yet?

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Amir has a special box opening ceremony that can last upto 3 days, then there’s the distinct possibility the postal worker got scared of the dogs and left the parcel god knows where...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, a few arrived. I had to spend time on the loaner player first because of the time limit on them. Which are anxious to see? Maybe I will do the Objective DAC.

sssn

I would like to see both the E10K and the ODAC rev. B! Both use the very same DAC chip (PCM5102), but the E10K is cheaper and has a whole headphone amp and SPDIF out to boot. I wonder if the ODAC's higher price is justified.

Top Bottom