• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barefoot Footprint 01's

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks very similar to the normalized vertical off axis plots of the Genelec 8341(where the off axis rises above on axis at 3kHz).
The vertical directivity of the 8341 doesn't have that significant directivity mismatch as the 01 horizontally, also the vertical one will be even worse.
I don't want to sound as party breaker but already the 0-30° plots horizontal show significant problems that I don't share the enthusiasm even less for that price, flat on axis isn't hard to achieve. The problem is they didn't use a waveguide although the small 4" mid helps and also that ring radiator tweeters beam alot on the last octave.

Moonhead

Nice one, looks a lot like the same SB satori tweeter I have in my speakers.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I'm not seeing that with the 8341. I suspect major directivity mismatch at tweeter xover under 2khz. Will be interesting.

Edit: I see it supposedly crosses at 3.6khz. Cone breakup in the midwoofer? We'll see.
It's a 4" driver, even with an aluminum cone I don't think it'll break up in that range. Similar 4"-ish aluminum mids and midwoofers I've seen have their breakup modes an octave or so above that.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Theoretically if you add subs to the 01 would they sound close to the Minimain12?
Screenshot_20210127-054712.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
mm... I'm gonna go with probably not. The minimain12s are a 4 way system, and the 2x 2.5" midranges plus 2x 7" midwoofers are going to behave differently than 1 4" midwoofer and a pair of 8" sub woofers. Plus, the tweeter is a different one (looks like a scanspeak ring radiator to me?).

dfuller

Major Contributor
By the way, my FP01s show up tomorrow. Expect my subjective review at some point.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
It's a 4" driver, even with an aluminum cone I don't think it'll break up in that range. Similar 4"-ish aluminum mids and midwoofers I've seen have their breakup modes an octave or so above that.
I think you're right, too low to be cone breakup from the 4". Whatever the case is, I hope it meets/surpasses expectations.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's amazingly flat, but have to forgive me after searching on google I really dislike it's look
Yes, it is very industrial and utilitarian look, typical of "function over form" Pro audio design.

barefoot-footprint01_74158_2.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor

dfuller

Major Contributor
Okay, FP01s just showed up!

Quick subjective thing: These are very, very flat and clean. Low end seems to extend down forever compared to my Focal Shapes, and it's very tight doing so. Top end in a nearfield situation is smooth and accurate, and not hyped at all. Lianne La Havas' song "Green And Gold" is my big low end test. These pass flawlessly. The kick and bass are totally separated, something I've never experienced on any bass reflex speakers. These remind me very much of the MM27s I learned on, but smoother and less rip your head off. I'm having that same "wow, I've never heard that before" experience I did on the MM27s. Overall I am very, very impressed.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Overall I am very, very impressed.

Congratulations!

I'm sure you're running through your list of go to's, and will be all day. Happy to hear when someone is pleased with their new stuff!

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
They look like a good deal for $4000
Just this part is a little confusing :
"The 2-way DSP crossover feeds dual Class D amplifier modules that drive the subwoofers with 500W of power and deliver 150W to the mid- and high-frequency drivers. There is a passive crossover network between the midrange driver and the tweeter"
Why is a passive crossover needed between the midrange and tweeter and how much power does each driver gets

Last edited:

dfuller

Major Contributor
They look like a good deal for $4000
Just this part is a little confusing :
"The 2-way DSP crossover feeds dual Class D amplifier modules that drive the subwoofers with 500W of power and deliver 150W to the mid- and high-frequency drivers. There is a passive crossover network between the midrange driver and the tweeter"
Why is a passive crossover needed between the midrange and tweeter and how much power does eaxh driver gets
Part of the cost saving measure to drop the price was to use one amp and a passive crossover instead of an active one with two separate amps between mid and tweeter. Luckily, Thomas Barefoot knows what the eff he's doing so it's not an issue.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They're brushed aluminum, not white. It's reflecting the white backgrounds.

Ahh, that actually does make a big difference. I bet they look much better in person, then. Never seen them in person, but the photos kinda look like white paint. Watched a Barefoot video factory "tour" today, and they definitely look much better in that video.

Genelec 8030c was similar for me. Bought solely on performance, as I really didn't like the aesthetic going by pictures. I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the box. The sparkles in the gray aluminum are quite nice imo.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Part of the cost saving measure to drop the price was to use one amp and a passive crossover instead of an active one with two separate amps between mid and tweeter. Luckily, Thomas Barefoot knows what the eff he's doing so it's not an issue.
How do they compare to Genelec and Neumann at the same price range?

Top Bottom