• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Barefoot Footprint 01 Review (Studio Monitor)

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had planned on upgrading to the MiniMain12. How can I trust that any of Barefoot Sound’s measurements are accurate? For all we know the MM12 may measure even worse. I’m scared of trusting any manufacture now, unless it’s been verified already by someone with a NFS.
Well, so far all speakers by Genelec and Neumann measured here exhibited results which were very close to the manufacturer specs. Therefore I think we can trust both companies. Of course you'll gonna pay for this.

DSJR

Major Contributor
:D
Do you remember the piece?
I wonder what experience he had with live music. A lot of people are quite shocked the first time they hear many instruments live. Usually they are just not prepared for the impact, and often had no idea how harsh and in your face some instruments are live.

I had this happen thirty odd years ago when on a visit to family in Nth Wales, my Uncle took my cousin and I to a little pub in the middle of nowhere, which just happened to have a jazz trio playing (amplified keyboard, drums and sax). The experience totally blew me away and it took me down a different road as regards favoured speaker choices.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, so far all speakers by Genelec and Neumann measured here exhibited results which were very close to the manufacturer specs. Therefore I think we can trust both companies. Of course you'll gonna pay for this.
The speaker he was considering costs almost US$30,000/pair, much more than any (non-soffit mounted) Genelec or the big Neumann?

dfuller

Major Contributor
The speaker he was considering costs almost US$30,000/pair, much more than any (non-soffit mounted) Genelec or the big Neumann?
At the $23k a pair these cost I feel like I'd sooner go for ATC SCM50ASLs and a pair of Rhythmik F12s and then still have some money left for more room treatment.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...and then still have some money left for more room treatment.
I assume anyone who is making a large investment like that would treat their room totally. It will be pretty silly otherwise...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
At the $23k a pair these cost I feel like I'd sooner go for ATC SCM50ASLs and a pair of Rhythmik F12s and then still have some money left for more room treatment.
That's approaching the Genelec 8351 and W371 Stereo System (around $26K USD new total).

89797330_2662309447337040_6505780511657426944_n.jpg

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I might replace the barefoots with KH Neumann 310s. The only thing is I also invested a sizeable chunk on my sound anchor ADJ2 stands and the monitor would be hanging off the edge of the 12x18 top platforms. As well, the Neumann 310 cost $1400 more then the FP01 at $6000/pair (and that’s actually if they’re on sale not msrp) obviously the extra cost is worth it if they perform just that much better.

@dfuller what were you planning on getting to replace your fp01?
The MSRP for a pair of KH310 was $4400 and has risen to $4590 a few month ago, but if you have a phone conversation with the dealer they mostly likely will sell you at a lower price. The aftermarket price nowadays is only about $3000-$3500/pair. If you can sell the FP01 or somehow return it and get a refund, you should be able to afford the KH310.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I might replace the barefoots with KH Neumann 310s. The only thing is I also invested a sizeable chunk on my sound anchor ADJ2 stands and the monitor would be hanging off the edge of the 12x18 top platforms. As well, the Neumann 310 cost $1400 more then the FP01 at $6000/pair (and that’s actually if they’re on sale not msrp) obviously the extra cost is worth it if they perform just that much better.

@dfuller what were you planning on getting to replace your fp01?
used KH310s. About $3600 US. Haven't quite decided yet.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Sorry for the confusion but I was speaking Canadian dollars. They’re normally $3500 each retail but I’ve always seen them on sale for $3000 each. After market prize for a pair is probably similar to what you’re saying here too.
Funny how I just sold my KH310 to a Canadian buyer at $3000. :) The buyer paid $356 for Express waybills. He considered buying from Thomann but ended up buying from me.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir mentioned in the review that Barefoot may have come to their measurements using “tweaks” what tweaks are those?
If you look at their measurements:

index.php

The low frequency is extremely smooth. Even anechoic chambers are not that good. They need to document measurements like this so that we know how they were made and any limitations of such methods.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a single left one. I sold a pair for USD3000.

Yes, I got confused because people were mixing pair and each pricing. That's why I deleted my post :p

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
spl comparison.png

On the same graph.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The top end at 1.4khz is MUCH uglier on your graph as well. They don’t line up at all, the barefoot measurements are significantly flatter. Wouldn’t perching the speakers high up in the air in a big warehouse essentially replicate your NFS (sofar as above 300hz is concerned) Why the variance?
That's a real puzzle because you can simply use time gating and get the correct response without lifting the speaker.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Funny how I just sold my KH310 to a Canadian buyer at $3000. :) The buyer paid $356 for Express waybills. He considered buying from Thomann but ended up buying from me.

3000 has to be for the pair right? I bought them new from authored Canadian seller for CAD $2100 each.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't really even need to lift the speaker much to get an accurate response at 1.4khz.

Also, the deviations from flat are not huge. For a passive speaker this is reasonably smooth. The problem is that the measurements they market with are not meaningful. My personal hunch is they are not measurements at all but a target from the software used to simulate the crossover.

Also, in 2020 there's no reason to buy speakers from outfits that haven't invested in an anechoic chamber or NFS. $100K is not a lot of money for a company that sells $20K speakers. They should be ashamed to be using a hobbyist set up.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I just came here to ask what the meme input does.
Provides multiple DSP EQs essentially - emulates an NS10, an Auratone 5C, and some unnamed "hi-fi" system in addition to what they term as "flat".

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Auratone should make a speaker which emulates the Barefoots lol

Top Bottom